FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Original Brake Pads?

My VIN:    6125

Original Brake Pads?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my brake hydraulics and these are the pads that I pulled off the car. Can anyone tell if they are original by looking at the pics?

They look like they have 80% pad left, and my car has 36K on the odometer. Service records from the PO only go back to 2001 and show that he never replaced brake pads. He bought the car with 14k miles on it so I'm thinking they may be the original pads.

Last edited by Mark D; 11-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.

My VIN:    10186

they may very well be. they look identical to the pads i pulled off of 10186 for a caliper rebuild at school the other day.

My VIN:    6125

Just out of curiosity, did you split your calipers in half when rebuilding them or leave them bolted together? Hervey sells the little O-ring that you can use to replace if splitting them in half, and I'm debating if I want to separate or not.

I guess it depends if fresh brake fluid will deteriorate the seal between the two halves causing a leak in the future. Does anyone know if this is a common failure mode? Typically if they were to leak I'd guess they'd leak at the piston seals first.

If there is no reason to split the calipers apart I'd just leave them, but if it pays to open them up to replace the O-ring it wouldn't be much extra work.

i split my calipers because they were all froze up and had to figure out what was wrong. luckily it just barely had any brake fluid.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Those pads look pretty bad. If you are in a pinch and need new brake pads now they can easily be cross referenced.

Fronts: 1977 Mercuri Capri
    Rear: 1987 JAGUAR XJ6 4.2L

not to hyjack the thread, but steve you said the jag pads could be used for the rear. does that mean that the jag's calipers could be cross referenced with the D?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by timothymoore View Post
    not to hyjack the thread, but steve you said the jag pads could be used for the rear. does that mean that the jag's calipers could be cross referenced with the D?
    Sorta:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?93...Crossover-List
    '77 Jag XJ6
    Advanced auto 19769/8(L/R)

I believe the piston bore is a bit different.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

Yes. I am running jag calipers just fine. I must let you know that many people advise against it because the caliper pistons are a little bit smaller.

For what its worth, some idiot pulled out in front of me two days ago and I would have smashed right into him if it had not been for my perfectly working brakes.

Even with smaller pistons, a new Jag caliper is still better than a 30 year old never rebuilt delorean caliper.

So far the only brake component I haven't replaced yet are my brake lines and emergency brakes. The brake lines are sitting on the kitchen counter waiting to be done whenever I get around to it.

I have new calipers/pads on front and back. New rotors on the front. Turned rotors on the rear and a new brake booster. I think I've replaced everything except for my parking brakes and brake lines.

Edit: I forgot to mention this but my brake master cylinder was rebuilt by a PO. It works great but I'm not sure when it was rebuilt so maybe I should add this to my honey do list as well. Safety and reliability come before cosmetics.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 11-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If you do go this route and decide you dont want your cores consider selling them to Hervey or one of the DMC vendors to keep them "in the community".
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    If you do go this route and decide you dont want your cores consider selling them to Hervey or one of the DMC vendors to keep them "in the community".
    Or save them just in case. Hervey told me the calipers I have will probably have problems in the future. So far I've been running them for a year without any problems.

Whatever you do though, don't throw them away or give them to autozone for a core.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast