• 5.7L HEMI with MDS

8 15.69%
  • 5.3L Vortec / LS4 V8

21 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: V8 Delorean

My VIN:    10201

Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far. i just know that the stock transmission most likely would not handle a twin turboed lq4. I saw you posted links to a website about upgrading the stock transmission but they are no longer working.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far. i just know that the stock transmission most likely would not handle a twin turboed lq4. I saw you posted links to a website about upgrading the stock transmission but they are no longer working.
    A force fed LQ4 would make mincemeat out of the Renault transaxle. As nick mentioned, the G50 would be the route to go. But that brings on another whole set of problems. It is a big transaxle.

Not to mention putting 600-700whp down would require extensive chassis and suspension modifications. Sure, you can put on larger brakes, but the suspension setup just cant handle that kind of power.
    If I were to make a big power delorean I would lift the body off the chassis and start over. Full tube chassis, and suspension retrofitted from another car. I'm thinking c5 or c6 corvette components. HUGE project.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree, I mean jumping straight to a twin turbocharged LQ4 is like, drag car territory. Is that your goal?

Even most of the Porsche guys dont recommend going past 550hp-600hp without making some big upgrades to the G50. At that point you should consider a Hewland or a Mendeola transaxle. Usually I wouldn't bring those up since they're typically about $10k-$15k gearboxes but at the power you're talking, you wont have much choice. Though you'll probably have to completely redesign the rear half of the frame because packaging one of the large transaxles, plus the iron V8, plus 2 turbochargers is likely almost impossible with the current setup .

How serious are you about this? Are you just spit-balling or are you really considering an engine swap?
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 01-08-2016 at 04:21 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I agree, I mean jumping straight to a twin turbocharged LQ4 is like, drag car territory. Is that your goal?

Even most of the Porsche guys dont recommend going past 550hp-600hp without making some big upgrades to the G50. At that point you should consider a Hewland or a Mendeola transaxle. Usually I wouldn't bring those up since they're typically about $10k-$15k gearboxes but at the power you're talking, you wont have much choice. Though you'll probably have to completely redesign the rear half of the frame because packaging one of the large transaxles, plus the iron V8, plus 2 turbochargers is likely almost impossible with the current setup .

How serious are you about this? Are you just spit-balling or are you really considering an engine swap?
    Haha just spit balling. If I had unlimited time and money I would make it happen! I would start with a new car, im in too deep with 11408 to start all over again.

Something else to consider is punching out the tub in the front and going FR. Height of the engine compartment would be a big issue though. You could run the vette rear mount t56. But at that point its just a vette that looks like a delorean. haha.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far.
    No offense, But a project like what your talking about would better be done who does. It's always fun to dream and it doesn't cost a dime.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Haha just spit balling. If I had unlimited time and money I would make it happen! I would start with a new car, im in too deep with 11408 to start all over again.

Something else to consider is punching out the tub in the front and going FR. Height of the engine compartment would be a big issue though. You could run the vette rear mount t56. But at that point its just a vette that looks like a delorean. haha.
    Actually I was asking mr_maxime if he was serious about an engine swap, haha.

I already know what you're capable of and a project like this wouldn't be surprising. Besides, based on your track record of ownership, aren't you tired of the LS by now? Isn't it about time for you to yank it out and drop in a Chevy 572 or something? haha!

When I was in grad school, another engineering student modeled his senior design project around mine from the previous year, but he took it way further power wise. He put twin turbocharged 572 in his '70 Chevelle. Granted, his swap fit better as the car was made for a much larger engine, but his output was ~1400whp. Think we could make something like this work?
    Copy of 572-1.jpgCopy of 572-2.jpg
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 01-08-2016 at 01:02 PM.

My VIN:    10201

I'm mostly spitballing to try to get a scope of it. This project is still ways away so I plan on spending time learning more hence the spitballing. I'm also an engineer in the automotive industry and have access to lots of tools and knowledgeable people. I am seriously considering an engine swap in the long term, but shorter term is new performance suspension.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16