8 15.69%
  • 5.3L Vortec / LS4 V8

21 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 Delorean

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Wouldn't there be a problem increasing the amount of weight on the rear wheels? It's already 65% back there.

Farrar
    Naw, you can just add a few weight lifting plates to the front to balance things out.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

If I was going to pick a new engine, I'd actually be more drawn to a turbo 4cyl w/220-250hp, I think that would be the ideal configuration for the Delorean (IMHO).

-Nathan

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Wouldn't there be a problem increasing the amount of weight on the rear wheels? It's already 65% back there.

Farrar
    Farrar's the only one who seems to have any sense on this one. Sure, cramming a heavy V8 in the rear of a D will give you more speed, but unless you're looking for a straight-line drag car, any spirited driving that involves a turn is going to end up with you taking a backwards ride into a ditch (or worse). Remember, although the Porsche 911 shares the Delorean drivetrain layout (with a better F/R weight distro) it makes it work after decades of race-bred tuning and still is referred to as a car that can easily get less experienced drivers into trouble due to the non-convention driving techniques required to handle it at it's limits.

Everyone's free to do what they want to their own car, but there are plenty of ways to add power without further compromising an already marginal design.

My VIN:    10186

id do the GMC sierra 6.0L 400horse v8

Quote Originally Posted by natesky View Post
    If I was going to pick a new engine, I'd actually be more drawn to a turbo 4cyl w/220-250hp, I think that would be the ideal configuration for the Delorean (IMHO).

-Nathan
    how about the turbocharged ECO-tec 2.0 out of the SS cobalt's?? i think that put out about 230 or 240.

Yes the V8 is going to present issues, but I looking into getting a light V8. The maximum size if 350ci..
    -- Julz

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    Yes the V8 is going to present issues, but I looking into getting a light V8. The maximum size if 350ci..
    then look into an LT1 or a 350 TPI out of a mid to late 80's vette

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    Farrar's the only one who seems to have any sense on this one. Sure, cramming a heavy V8 in the rear of a D will give you more speed, but unless you're looking for a straight-line drag car, any spirited driving that involves a turn is going to end up with you taking a backwards ride into a ditch (or worse). Remember, although the Porsche 911 shares the Delorean drivetrain layout (with a better F/R weight distro) it makes it work after decades of race-bred tuning and still is referred to as a car that can easily get less experienced drivers into trouble due to the non-convention driving techniques required to handle it at it's limits.

Everyone's free to do what they want to their own car, but there are plenty of ways to add power without further compromising an already marginal design.
    I realize that there are infinitely better choices, however, the thread has the implied question of what motor we'd each individually choose to put in the DeLorean. Since I know the Cadillac 500 the best, I'd configure the car as a mid-engined vehicle with a loss of the parcel shelf.

This is, of course, assuming I have the limitless budget needed to do such a thing and the time to completely redesign the frame of the car as two separate subframes and changing all of the fake vents to functional parts of the cooling system for that massive, hot-blooded motor.

IMO one of the best if not the best non v8 engine that you could put in the delorean that wouldnt mess with the weight too much would be the 3.8 DOHC twin turbo motor that comes out of the GTR skylines... 500 HP in a lightweight V6. but that goes with the limitless budget.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

As far as weight is concerned, The PRV weighs 335lbs where an LS1 weighs 385lbs. Doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal.

Whats the weight difference between an auto transmission and a manual?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast