• 5.3L Vortec / LS4 V8

21 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: V8 Delorean

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Get the engine out of the new Subie wrx's with the turbo. Plenty of speed, less weight
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Its interesting that the SBC (Small block Chevy) isn't getting the votes. Usually the standard favorite in any engine swap. I suppose the Delorean community favors progress..
    -- Julz

My VIN:    05141

I have practically no mechanical experience. I also feel the lack of power in the V6. I also do not feel any interest in any the the stage 1-3 programs.

But a nice compact good sounding V8 is what I like a lot, but do not want to go thru the headache by far!!
    If DMC would come up with a custom made solution with all the connections in one kit, an engine they select that fits well without to many adaptations, sounding well and performing well....I will be first in line.

John

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I have practically no mechanical experience. I also feel the lack of power in the V6. I also do not feel any interest in any the the stage 1-3 programs.

But a nice compact good sounding V8 is what I like a lot, but do not want to go thru the headache by far!!
    If DMC would come up with a custom made solution with all the connections in one kit, an engine they select that fits well without to many adaptations, sounding well and performing well....I will be first in line.

John
    It actually surprises me that they haven't... I mean we know that the PRV V6 isn't the best engine and frankly it probably was only chosen due to the cost factor. With so many better alternatives out there and the rights to the brand on a whole in terms of manufacturing, why doesn't the company actually take the chance to re-invent the engineering behind the car.
    I'm all for preserving the classic heritage of the car, but there is such a thing called progress.
    We even find people tearing down perfectly good cars to build something awesome in terms of handling, etc... Its been done to Mustangs, Corvettes, etc... non have escaped.
    Here we have a car that looks awesome, yet is flawed & weak in the engine compartment.
    We have companies bringing out hot versions of Camaros, Civics, BMWs with aftermarket parts... Why not offer a special edition Delorean? Why can't the company offer something better than just a turbo kit; which only makes the performance the way it should have been 30 years ago.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    It actually surprises me that they haven't...
    Have you seen how many unused PRVs they have? Using something else would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    3501

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter H.O. engine back there rather than a huge displacement cast iron block sitting behind my rear wheels.

Just sayin...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Agreed. My dream never going to happen because its so ridiculous engine swap would be the charge-cooled I4 turbo engine out of the later I4 Esprits.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My feeling is that the engine in my car is also ... an oldtimer.
    I do not think the PRV was a quick solution for a cheap engine. The PRV's are still very good. I remember they had a hard time finding suppliers (risky venture, Northern Ireland situation back then) and also the limits at the US market.

I do not ask an 80 year old man to go start training for running on the fast track. I worry that this 30 year old engine will not cope very well with the stresses of turbo's. I rather crawl a little slower but without engine failures and expensive costs after the engine is competely shot.
    I also do not like the sound these new exhausts make.

I was standing next to a Bricklin at a DCS show and I was impressed with its sound. (it was the only thing I was impressed with, with all respect) DMC ist not a non-profit organisation, so I do grant them their income. There are more cars using PRV's, so I am sure enough candidates to buy one of thiose NOS PRV's. And not everyone will switch to a V8. The cost will be considerable, and it is not original as some owners feel this is very important. The fuel supply for a V8 is small with the 50Liters.

Besides; offering a reliable V8 in a DMC supported package will be a good publicity and I am sure more potential owners. I simply do not dare to arrange a custom V8 by myself. It is the most common heard "compaint" sound, performance,... so it would be neat. I doubt it will happen, but maybe some day.
    I am sure it will attract a lot of newpotential DeLorean owners.

John

Steering with power

@john 05141 - You need not worry about a modded engine as long as its a proper job done. Time taken to prepare the engine for the turbos and other modifications will help to improve the reliability.

Most people who would like a fast Delorean aren't mechanics, myself included. But I have the fortunate advantage of knowing a couple of mechanics who are willing and able to help with the V8 modification.
    If the DMC company could get behind the idea of offering a V8 as an option, it wouldn't be a bad idea. It would help to bring more attention to the brand. But I wouldn't want too much attention. We also need exclusivity...
    I was reading up on the PRV V6. It was a great engine but not a perfect engine and yes I was wrong; it wasn't a choice for costs sake. Who knows, maybe there is an exhaust mod that makes that PRV V6 sound like a V8... Now that would be a trick worth seeing or hearing...
    -- Julz

Hi Knightjp,

I can follow your idea. I am not screeming for more power, but all these Volkswagen Golf with a 2L diesel engine are faster than me, that is.. you know...!

In my street lives an owner of a Mercedes dealership. He drives the Mercedes Gullwing (with temp-plates of course) It sounds greaaaaaat!! It is only a V8?! I tought this was a V12 honestly. He confirmed the sound is half the fun.

But the Deloreans I saw with a special exhaust (I do not know if they were part of a stage package) sounded too loud. Not a nice sound. Not a nice deep sound but more just "to make noise". I respect every body's fun, so I do not mind if they do, but not me.
    I'm sure it will enhance performance. I have not driven one like that so I do not know if the difference is big. I also heard remarks from co-drivers that the car is fairly noisy inside too than. I added more insulation and Dynamat to keep the car inside as quiet as possible.
    So the deep humming of a V8 and some performance.. MMMMMmmmm.

John

Steering with power

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast