FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Eagle Premier Starter

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    1. No. For OEM, there would be no power to any of it if the ignition key wasn't turned on. (The White wire from Aux Relay 2 would be dead since the Aux relay is off. Note that there are two Blue/Yellow wires at that relay, and they are not connected together. The Blue/Yellow wire coming from the solenoid would not have anything on it because the solenoid would not be engaged. And the other Blue/White at he relay would not have anything on it coming from the resistors.)
    Same for when someone taps the White/Red wire at the solenoid with the Eagle, since the White/Red wire will not have power when the key is off.

2. It's not. But, as said, I think things can get fouled up when the key is at on/run and the relay is stuck shut...
    Put the Blue/Yellow wire at the starter on the terminal that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor (like in post 30 ;-).

3. Yes (There is a copper disk inside the solenoid that connects the two together while the starter is engaged.)
    FWIW- The Big 3 and a lot of foreign starter solenoids have a "R" and a "S" marked on them when they reduce power to the coil. (R)esistor (S)olenoid.

With the key turned to off, if the relay stuck closed, the Blue/White wire at the relay going to the resistors, would get feed from the White wire coming from the Aux. relay 2. The Blue/White wire at the relay going to the Starter solenoid would be grounded through the relay's engage coil and open at the starter solenoid (floating) on an OEM setup. But

Regarding point #1, I was thinking if the resistor split relay got stuck while the car was already running. When my car is running, I have +12V on the left side of the resistors. Is that incorrect? Because if the resistor relay were stuck closed, would that not pass that 12V backwards to the starter motor terminal, bypassing the starter solenoid? Perhaps there is something I'm not understanding.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Regarding point #1, I was thinking if the resistor split relay got stuck while the car was already running. When my car is running, I have +12V on the left side of the resistors. Is that incorrect? Because if the resistor relay were stuck closed, would that not pass that 12V backwards to the starter motor terminal, bypassing the starter solenoid? Perhaps there is something I'm not understanding.
    ??? You said, "without turning the ignition key".

Anyhoo...
    Yes, 12V at the left side of the Resistors is correct.
    (Key at Run will reduce the coil voltage, a little. When the starter is engaged, the Ignition Relay will bypass the 1st Resistor, causing the coil voltage to be reduced even less.)

What you may be missing- The Ignition Relay has two UY wires (don't ask why). One UY is connected to the W wire and 1st resistor. The other UY is connected to the coil inside the Ignition Relay and nothing else!, I.E., the two UY are never connected together. So, there is no power at the Ignition Relay that can get to the UY going to the starter. Connecting the WR wire at the Starter Solenoid to the UY wire there, does nothing more than make the Ignition Relay engage a tiny bit earlier (eliminates the time it takes for the solenoid to react and send power along the BY wire as it normally does). It's just a convenient place to get the signal that the Eagle setup doesn't offer...

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ??? You said, "without turning the ignition key".

Anyhoo...
    Yes, 12V at the left side of the Resistors is correct.
    (Key at Run will reduce the coil voltage, a little. When the starter is engaged, the Ignition Relay will bypass the 1st Resistor, causing the coil voltage to be reduced even less.)

What you may be missing- The Ignition Relay has two UY wires (don't ask why). One UY is connected to the W wire and 1st resistor. The other UY is connected to the coil inside the Ignition Relay and nothing else!, I.E., the two UY are never connected together. So, there is no power at the Ignition Relay that can get to the UY going to the starter. Connecting the WR wire at the Starter Solenoid to the UY wire there, does nothing more than make the Ignition Relay engage a tiny bit earlier (eliminates the time it takes for the solenoid to react and send power along the BY wire as it normally does). It's just a convenient place to get the signal that the Eagle setup doesn't offer...
    OK great, thanks for the explanation! I will rest easy now
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    4328

This is how I wired my Eagle starter up
    Attached Images

My VIN:    7012

Thanks for this incredibly helpful thread!

It looks like the O'Reilly part R612473B is in stock after others were having trouble finding it in the past.

Can anyone explain the functional difference between the diagram here with one wire on each post, and the diagram in the post directly above where the White/Red and bullet connector wires are both on the same post?

Mike,
    There's a subtle difference. In the photo on this thread, the blue/yellow wire (wire has been spliced and extended with a brownish wire) is connected with the white/red on the solenoid coil connection of the starter and receives power from the starter switch when the switch is in the engine cranking (starting) position. In the other referenced thread, the blue/yellow wire is connected to the load side of the starter solenoid and receives power through the solenoid contacts when the starter motor cranks. Either method works to provide power to the blue/yellow wire while the engine is cranking. The blue/yellow wire goes to the resistor relay and bypasses a coil resister to provide a higher grade spark while the engine is cranking.

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 10-27-2023 at 05:35 AM.

My VIN:    7012

I see - thank you Ron! Will keep this in mind as I try to swap a starter soon.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9