FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Had a Fire, Need parts

My VIN:    4984 '81 5 sd Grey int "Sold" 2021

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Had a Fire, Need parts

I need lots of parts. My engine caught on fire. Need rear quarter glass and rear cab glass. Engine harness and all upper engine parts including fuel distributor, coil parts, frequency counter, fuel injector lines, idle motor, a/c compressor. Also need stainless T-panel. Inside cab will be customized but need headliner shell without covers so if you have an old one I'm interested. I've looked at some posts and am inquiring so please answer if you see a message. Going to make a custom Delorean this time around.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Quote Originally Posted by funkstuf View Post
    I need lots of parts. My engine caught on fire. Need rear quarter glass and rear cab glass. Engine harness and all upper engine parts including fuel distributor, coil parts, frequency counter, fuel injector lines, idle motor, a/c compressor. Also need stainless T-panel. Inside cab will be customized but need headliner shell without covers so if you have an old one I'm interested. I've looked at some posts and am inquiring so please answer if you see a message. Going to make a custom Delorean this time around.

If you don't mind me asking, what caused the fire?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what caused the fire?
    Also very interested to know. Thanks in advance.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm curious about what caused the fire as well.

For what its worth, there is a cheaper way to replace your fuel system than using K-Jet parts.

My VIN:    16409

If you plan on keeping you car stock, I've got a complete set of injector lines I'm willing to sell.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    4984 '81 5 sd Grey int "Sold" 2021

how it started? Not sure but...

Best guess is a cracked fuel line. Had just finished a parade and had been idling through with no problems. As we left the parade the car first stalled a bit then died suggesting it wasn't getting fuel. Started a couple times sort of then saw fuel burning on the ground below it and mostly it burned over the top of the engine.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Best guess is a cracked fuel line. Had just finished a parade and had been idling through with no problems. As we left the parade the car first stalled a bit then died suggesting it wasn't getting fuel. Started a couple times sort of then saw fuel burning on the ground below it and mostly it burned over the top of the engine.
    Sorry to hear that. That is one of my biggest fears. Glad you were able to save the car. Accumulator hoses are thought to be the #1 reason for DeLorean related fuel fires but Injector lines could cause the same problem if dried out. As for parts I know he's far from you but maybe Grady could help you out? But you are probably better off using one of the franchises by you.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    For what its worth, there is a cheaper way to replace your fuel system than using K-Jet parts.
    Why don't you ask around in the carber circles and hook him up with the "K-Jet crap/junk" you've pulled off? Seriously.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We have everything in stock new and used ready to ship. Email us at [email protected] or 330 573 4129

-Josh
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    02261

The DeLorean owned by funkstuf has a single TURBO! Sorry stevedmc no carburetor inside.
    I saw it parked inside DMC Northwest on October 21, 2011 when I stopped by to pick up my new carpeted floor mats black with flag logo DMC Northwest.
    I enquired who owns it since I swear I had seen those non-stock rims and tires before. Toby told me the story behind the fire. I noticed how the heat from the fire had broke out the rear window and the fire entered the passenger compartment and ruined the tops of the seats and the fabric covered ceiling. I didn’t actually open the door because it makes me sad to see a DeLorean after a car fire. The fire had completely and thoroughly disintegrated the engine cover and louvers. And it took out all the wiring at the bulk head connectors that lead into the passenger compartment.

For those of you that think this never ever happens to a DeLorean guess again. I’m getting really paranoid about the safety of my thirty year old fuel lines that I’m going to order a new set of the SS braided fuel lines for the fuel distributor and fuel injectors that Toby sells at DMC Northwest.

If there is anyone who can masterfully rebuild a DeLorean it’s Mr. Funkstuf.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.