FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil Drain Plug

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I wonder what the guys on the DML would say about removing a perfectly good stock drain plug and installing a normal drain plug.

I'm sure this would qualify as a dangerous modification.
    It would be debated for two weeks.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5482

just to update this thread - considered a square socket set (including the 8mm) from harbor freight for $15 + shipping & tax. Ended up going with a 2 piece (8mm & 10mm) set on Amazon prime. Shipped to my house = $7.89. No makeshift tool. No replacement plug. No high cost tool. Easy does it.
    Jeff

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    just to update this thread - considered a square socket set (including the 8mm) from harbor freight for $15 + shipping & tax. Ended up going with a 2 piece (8mm & 10mm) set on Amazon prime. Shipped to my house = $7.89. No makeshift tool. No replacement plug. No high cost tool. Easy does it.
    Cool price for 2 sockets. I'll share my solution which is similar. I bought a CTA 8mm socket (item 2036) at Pep Boys this year for $6 but I couldn't get the socket and my ratchet to fit the tight space between the drain plug and the frame crossmember, so I bought a 3/8" socket cap at Harbor Freight Tools for $4 (set of 3, Pittsburgh item 67011) and with the cap I can use a 9/16" line wrench which fits the space nicely. Also, by using the line wrench, I was able to better judge the amount of pressure to compress the crush washer properly.
    Attached Images
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6673

What worked for me was just to grind off two opposite edges (corners) of an 8 mm hex key that I happened to have lying around until the resulting two surfaces were 8 mm apart. Probably the least amount of grinding of any solution that requires grinding. I was a bit worried it might damage the plug but it was a snug fit and there was not a trace of any damage. Since it still has 4 of the original 6 corners I imagine it will continue to work fine as an 8 mm hex key, though I have no idea what it was for.

My VIN:    10201

I used the CTA socket from pepboys and a ratchet. It fit at first but I stupidly got stuck. Dont make the same mistake I made. Ill replace the drain plug next time with the ez drain one and avoid all of this.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I happen to have an "official" Renault "special" tool. I got it when I had my R5; such pedigree.

looks like this one, only it's "special"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-1578-D...-/281864886165

I wouldn't recommend it over the snap-on version
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

^^ Bling bling^^

I wonder how many of those are in North America. Pretty cool
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2