FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trip reset shaft broken

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Trip reset shaft broken

Here is what my trip reset shaft looks like:

Is is broken off right behind the lens. I may have multiple issues here because when I stick something inside to push on the shaft, the trip odometer doesn't go back to zeroes, but to random numbers. This is mostly a cosmetic issue as I think the broken shaft looks tacky, but I would also like the trip odometer to be reset to make it easier to track mileage for road trips and whatnot.

DMC sells replacement shafts, spacers, knobs, etc., so is this job doable? I haven't had to disassemble the binnacle before and I want to make sure that this is repairable before diving in.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It comes with an instruction sheet. If you are comfortable working with small mechanical parts it's not bad. The biggest risk is breaking off the main dial needle when you go to remove it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

ive installed Houston's kit, it was easy to put in, it gave me a chance to properly clean the cluster up too

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Same here, replaced my broken one w/DMCH's replacement.
    Not a bad job, replacing and reinstalling the cluster is cumbersome the first time.

While it's out though... that's a good time to replace most of the dash bulbs with LEDs!
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    16419

it is so funny, the same thing happened to me when I was cleaning the dash. Sheared right off. Pain in the A$$. I would love to take apart my binicle and replace all the bulbs and put on the new trip meeter. Is it hard to work with the angle drive and re attatch it and all?

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    ...Is it hard to work with the angle drive and re attatch it and all?
    The only challenge is access related in how to get the binnacle/cluster assembly off, and back on. I've done it two times now, the first several years ago to replace said shaft, then a couple of years ago for the LED upgrade.

The technique I used was, placed small pillow by the brake pedal, put my head on the pillow and feet on the pushed back seat, then with a socket wrench and extension, took off the mounting screws (4 or 6 don't recall). I do also remember putting a u-joint like adapter between the socket and the extension, for one of the mounting bolts. Oh, and make sure you have some good lighting to work with, I my fluorescent shop light behind the brake pedal and that seemed to work well.

Removing the cluster's harness and speedometer cable is pretty straight forward. A tip I remember was to loosen the speedometer cable from the lambda counter, so you can lift the cluster, enough to be able to remove it from behind the cluster. If you leave the cable in place you won't have to snake it through later.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    1505

directions

If anyone has a copy of the directions and wouldn't mind posting them or emailing them to me that would be great.

thanks
    Jay

My VIN:    05141

I look my binacle off so often... various reasons.
    There are 8 or 9 screws in there. I can get the binacle out and back in 15 minutes top. But honestly, my binacle is bolted in with 4 screws only. 8 or 9 are not necessary. It has been in there like this for 2 or 3 years and stays perfectly. Makes it so much easier to remove it again.

But be careful, the bolts underneath may give scratches on your dashboard by trying to get the spedometar cable back in. and be careful to remove both sonnectors, as the flexible plastic orange "flatcable" is quite delicate. The connectors go in there.

When you put it back in, you may want to test all functions (small drive around the block) to make sure everything work before you startbolting it back on.
    If you want more details, I can give them to you.

John

Steering with power

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Another tip - from experience...the kit does not include the knob, so save the old one if you have it. Mine was broken off by the PO so it was missing and I had to re-order a new knob (that doesn't fit all that well on the new shaft).
    Tom

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I finally got around to fixing the trip reset shaft last night. I had to remove the binnacle to replace the battery light, so I also came prepared and upgraded everything else to LED and replaced the shaft all at once. Doing all of that and putting it back in the car took approximately three hours, but that was my first time removing the binnacle, so I was going slow and steady.

Here's the binnacle removed:

Back of the binnacle before disassembling:

It looks messier than it really was:

All back together, and the first time since I've owned the car that I've had a reset shaft:

Instructions that are provided are very easy to follow and darn near fool-proof. The upgraded LEDs are awesome too
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast