FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VIN# 1356 - Problems and challenges

My VIN:    1356

VIN# 1356 - Problems and challenges

Finally my car has arrived! I'll most likely need some help on a few situations I get myself into when working on the car this winter.

My first challenge is that I did not get the doorlock keys, and guess what, the driver side door is now locked. Not sure how I managed to do it.
    Is there a way to get it unlocked from the inside when it's closed? Is the only solution to pick the lock from outside?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Are both doors locked or just the drivers side? If the passenger side is unlocked, just reach over and unlock the drivers side.

hehe, didn't look too closely since I had to leave pretty quickly after I left it in the garage. (The passanger side is still open)
    So there is a way to unlock it from inside, didn't see it at first glance and thought I also remembered reading about people that had been locked inside their cars. Might have been a short circut in my head, maybe it was keys beeing locked inside and not people :-)
    I have allready ordered new locks from the summer special offer, so I guess that will be the fix if I can't get the original keys for the doors.

I have another challenge as well, but will do some more research before asking =)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aryx View Post
    I also remembered reading about people that had been locked inside their cars. Might have been a short circut in my head, maybe it was keys beeing locked inside and not people :-)
    Oh by all means, don't misunderstand me; you can DEFINITELY get locked inside a DeLorean, haha. But it happens because the locks jam, the door mechanisms jam, the striker rods jam, etc.

For a car with working door locks and door mechanisms however, yes, there is a lock/unlock on each door.

[NOTE] Bare in mind that when working properly, the two door locks always strive to be in the same position (both unlocked or both locked). i.e. if you lock the drivers side, the passenger side should lock as well, if you unlock one door, the other should also unlock. This however will NOT be the case if your door lock module is disconnected, non functional, the sensors in your doors are damaged, or the battery is disconnected.

Also remember you're never supposed to try to change the status of the door locks with the door open, (only closed). And if your door lock module is working right, you should try to have both closed when locking or unlocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Oh by all means, don't misunderstand me; you can DEFINITELY get locked inside a DeLorean, haha. But it happens because the locks jam, the door mechanisms jam, the striker rods jam, etc.

For a car with working door locks and door mechanisms however, yes, there is a lock/unlock on each door.

[NOTE] Bare in mind that when working properly, the two door locks always strive to be in the same position (both unlocked or both locked). i.e. if you lock the drivers side, the passenger side should lock as well, if you unlock one door, the other should also unlock. This however will NOT be the case if your door lock module is disconnected, non functional, the sensors in your doors are damaged, or the battery is disconnected.

Also remember you're never supposed to try to change the status of the door locks with the door open, (only closed). And if your door lock module is working right, you should try to have both closed when locking or unlocking.
    Thanks for clarifying, then it wasn't just a brain fart after all =) I'll have a closer look next time I'm there (I'm renting a garage 15 minutes away from home).

Next question, had a look through the engine bay, and something is modified/removed, does anyone know what's been done?
    I found a sticker in the trunk. I would belive it to be the 3 bottom left hoses (when you tilt your head 45 degrees to the left so it's resting on your left shoulder, )
    Two of them are plugged with a screw.

2011-11-17 18.11.25.jpg2011-11-17 18.10.53.jpg

http://store.delorean.com/c-275-2-4-...l-systems.aspx

You're missing your charcoal canister. It's part of the emissions system. Not sure if it's harmful to have it removed, but if those lines come unplugged you'll have some interesting vacuum leaks to track down. See the entire stack of parts on the right side of that image. You'll likely need everything there if those parts aren't somewhere in the car.

Do you have the panel that goes over that hole? Item 4 on that page.
    Last edited by AdmiralSenn; 11-17-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    http://store.delorean.com/c-275-2-4-...l-systems.aspx

You're missing your charcoal canister. It's part of the emissions system. Not sure if it's harmful to have it removed, but if those lines come unplugged you'll have some interesting vacuum leaks to track down. See the entire stack of parts on the right side of that image. You'll likely need everything there if those parts aren't somewhere in the car.

Do you have the panel that goes over that hole? Item 4 on that page.
    Thanks for the link, I'll look through all the stuff I got with the car first.
    What will the down sides be to not having it installed? Will it polute more? Is there a reason why it might have been removed? I guess this part might be hard to find?

Rgds

Dag

Found some more information about it here: http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.ph...arbon-Canister

Part # 101109 http://store.delorean.com/p-6675-carbon-canister.aspx

Hoses can also be plugged with part # 101112 http://store.delorean.com/p-6674-cap-blanking.aspx

My VIN:    3997

Hey Dag!

Welcome to the community of DeLoreans! We are pretty tight group of people, always trying to help fellow owners out!

First off, I would suggest you take photos of the car, 360, inside and out, and all around. This way we can get an idea of what you are dealing with and if there appear to be things out of place.

Take photos of the parts and things you have in boxes etc. Pictures really help to give us perspective.

Anywho, again, welcome! I hope we can be of some help

-Ryan
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast