FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternative Oil Dipsticks?

My VIN:    2964

Alternative Oil Dipsticks?

Hi,

I was looking online for oil dipsticks! I saw someone nice onces, chromes out, billet aluminum!

Anyone of you guys have changed the oil dipstick?? I am thinking of changing it. I guess I would have to find the correct size/length.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    ex-01678

Billy,

How about this one: https://www.deloreanindustries.com/s...tick-tube.html
    I don't have one--yet-- but it looks like it would fit with no modifications.

Jeff

My VIN:    16409

The part you link from Josh is just the dipstick tube not the dipstick itself. Billy, if you're talking about replace the tube for the dipstick than Josh's stainless part looks good. If you're after the actual dipstick, then you'll have to keep looking around.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Anyone of you guys have changed the oil dipstick?? I am thinking of changing it. I guess I would have to find the correct size/length.
    If you want to put in something that looks nicer than the OEM dipstick on top, not including the tube, then is there a middle-answer?

Keep the tube as-is. Buy your favorite nicer-looking dipstick, one that fits the tube diameter in terms of sealing, whatever length the stick might be. Cleanly cut off the lower end, maybe half of it, so as to disable its oil-level function. Leave that dipstick in the tube 99% of the time. Hang the OEM dipstick in a clean, dry place. Use the OEM 'stick to check the engine oil level now and then at home. For real long trips you can just put the OEM stick in if you'll need to check the level away from home.

The engine doesn't care what is sitting in the dipstick tube. It just needs something to seal the upper end of the tube. And not fall inside the tube....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

..and the next time you change the oil mark the new stick!

My VIN:    4519

I'm not sure if my car has a proper dipstick....would someone post the length, and any tips on how to determine if it's correct?

Thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't have the length, but it's easy to check yours and remark/find correct length. (The specs call for 6.75 Qts, but everyone seems to go with 7.)
    Anyhoo...If you put 7 Quarts in it, run the engine, shut it off and wait a ~minute, the stick should read mid range (allowing for standard new/empty filter).
    7.5 Qts quarts should read full.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm not sure if my car has a proper dipstick....would someone post the length, and any tips on how to determine if it's correct?
    Dipstick shaft is straight with no markings, no x-hatching, no holes, has 2 V-notches for hi-lo level.
    Handle is a 180deg bend about 1 1/8 in dia and has red vinyl-dip coating, extends ~4 in above bottom of the seal.

Distance fm wet end to bottom of the seal = 19 1/2 in
    Dist. fm tip to high notch = 2 9/16 in
    Dist. fm tip to low notch = 1 3/4 in
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As important as it is for the dipstick to be of the correct length, the tube is also very important. If it has been cut you will be reading too low. If you have any doubts, it should also be checked.
    David Teitelbaum