FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have a Triumph TR6?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Anyone here have a Triumph TR6?

After some research I see some folks used to have one.

I love TR3A's and TR6's. Though I'd love a TR3A, the wife says the next car I get should be one we both like, so TR6 it is. Can't argue with the woman that let me buy 3205!

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think of them from an owners perspective. Even better if you restored it.

I'd love a 1975 in french blue, with overdrive.

EDIT - luggage rack, too!
    Attached Images
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Technically I own one but it hasn't moved under its own power in 10 years, so I'm not sure that my experiences would be useful.

In my fantasy world, I'm always about to start restoring it, once the D is perfect, of course.........
    Attached Images
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I have a friend with one. The O/D is a big plus both for you and when you want to resell it. I agree on the color if that helps you at all.

You can pick one up fairly cheap or in nice order from the mid teens.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Never particularly cared for the TR6 myself, but I totally restored the red '77 Spitfire you see in the pictures. The blue one was a '79 that I had first, but it had a slightly bent frame and I decided against putting money into it.

I loved that little red car but sold it when I got the Delorean. Houston is just too hot and the roads are too big and fast for the Spitfire.

Personally, I'd go for the TR3a and make it up to the wife in some other way! In either case, get ready for Lucas electrics and the theory of smoke. Oh, and your garage floor will never be the same again. Best paint it BEFORE a Triumph starts marking its territory!
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Never particularly cared for the TR6 myself, but I totally restored the red '77 Spitfire you see in the pictures. The blue one was a '79 that I had first, but it had a slightly bent frame and I decided against putting money into it.

I loved that little red car but sold it when I got the Delorean. Houston is just too hot and the roads are too big and fast for the Spitfire.

Personally, I'd go for the TR3a and make it up to the wife in some other way! In either case, get ready for Lucas electrics and the theory of smoke. Oh, and your garage floor will never be the same again. Best paint it BEFORE a Triumph starts marking its territory!
    I'll just cover the floor in cardboard!

There's a '75 spitfire for sale for $1500 just around the corner. Spitfires seem more affordable, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in a restoration project similar to 3205. I know rust is a huge issue with Triumphs. I do like Spitfires though.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Technically I own one but it hasn't moved under its own power in 10 years, so I'm not sure that my experiences would be useful.

In my fantasy world, I'm always about to start restoring it, once the D is perfect, of course.........
    What was the reason to take it off the road?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

You should be ashamed of yourself for letting that beauty sit there

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    What was the reason to take it off the road?
    It would be driving today if it wasn’t for those meddlesome kids!!

Well somewhat. I’d always wanted one, so I bought it just before my kids were born, naively thinking I’d have all this free time to work on it, (as it was a bit of a rolling resto at that time). Surprisingly all that free time vaporized, who’da thunk it? Having no knowledge of “bad gas”, I was surprised when it wouldn’t start one day and having no real workspace, it was pushed to the side for “when I have time”.

Of course now it needs almost everything doing, fuel lines, carb-rebuild, all rubber, new tires, top , interior etc etc

A month or so ago, I pushed it out into daylight for the first time in many years and am making plans to at least get it running again. There is an almost endless supply of parts and some great forums out there so anything from a minor repair to a full frame off is regularly tackled. Welding skills are always required.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc4087 View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself for letting that beauty sit there
    Ashamed Dermot is ashamed.

Fancy a busman's holiday Thomas?
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

It would be driving today if it wasn’t for those meddlesome kids!!

Well somewhat. I’d always wanted one, so I bought it just before my kids were born, naively thinking I’d have all this free time to work on it, (as it was a bit of a rolling resto at that time). Surprisingly all that free time vaporized, who’da thunk it? Having no knowledge of “bad gas”, I was surprised when it wouldn’t start one day and having no real workspace, it was pushed to the side for “when I have time”.

Of course now it needs almost everything doing, fuel lines, carb-rebuild, all rubber, new tires, top , interior etc etc

A month or so ago, I pushed it out into daylight for the first time in many years and am making plans to at least get it running again. There is an almost endless supply of parts and some great forums out there so anything from a minor repair to a full frame off is regularly tackled. Welding skills are always required.

Ashamed Dermot is ashamed.

Fancy a busman's holiday Thomas?
    The Triumph Experience Forum is quite a nice site, I just hope I can use it without paying the monthly fee down the road.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Have a look at

Www.6-pack.org
    Dermot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast