FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Front Spring Compressors

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    The only downside I can see to this is you actually have to remove the upper control arm. I dont see how you could use this set up without doing so. Or Am I wrong?
    I think you would need to lift the upper arm with the double screw ones also to get enough room. I removed my springs with the inside screw type with moving the upper arm.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    The only downside I can see to this is you actually have to remove the upper control arm. I dont see how you could use this set up without doing so. Or Am I wrong?
    Yeah the upper control arm needs to come off for maximum clearance. I think when I was removing the first spring I just had the UCA lifted up out of the way but it needed to come off eventually anyway so I just removed it. Those craftsman spring compressors look really nice also. I can imagine it's a little easier to get them installed on the spring than one large compressor where it can be a bit of a task to get the hooks to grab in the right spots

Yeah, whatever you do, don't copy me..........

20150820_175851.jpg

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Help

I thought I would post on this thread as it has been one of the most helpful on replacing the front springs and I have seen so few posts with these type of compressors fitted.

These have always been my Nemesis and I have always worried about doing them The most useful pic in this thread is the one with the clamps on the springs outside of the Delorean. I counted the coils before the compressor was fitted (2 on bottom 1 on top) based on jmettees post.

I am now at last confident of doing mine and can say, yes they are do-able with regular spring compressors but its a tight fit and there isn't much between not enough compression and the spring starting to bind on the spring compressor itself.

My main advice would be DONT try and shove them in, my biggest mistake was with the compressors on to try and compress a bit more and shove them in, this only resulted in my spring compressors sensing the extra space and slipping around to the back of the spring (Inside) and me shatting my pants.

If it isn't right just un-do, and start again.

Hope these pics may help..... The Zip ties serve no purpose other than peace of mind for me, to stop the slip and reduce any issues should they slip around again.

scn6OV1m.jpg

3cMknA4m.jpg

W7dcqblm.jpg

5RPxbIGm.jpg

Note : The upper control arm ISNT related to the compression on the spring.... i.e (I can swap the upper control arm now without compressing the spring) This is an important point as I originally was under the impression UCA - SPRING - LCA touch any of the two and its KAPOW... but its UPPER CHASSIS MOUNT - SPRING - LCA.

Final Picture all done.

fOasIkIm.jpg

I did try the inner coil spring compressors but I found more difficulty removing them than the benefits they gave.,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5