FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Spring Compressors

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Front Spring Compressors

Anyone have recommendations for front spring compressors to use for spring replacements. I used the 2 types shown in the links below this weekend & had dangerous issues with both. First, I had Type #1 slip while trying to compress while still on the car & Type#2 I has 1 side completely let go (safety hooks kept it from flying) & I needed to chuck it in the driveway to "disarm" it safely!

Today when trying to install new springs, the compressors kept me from getting the springs all the way into the seats & I didn't feel safe repositioning them even closer together.

I did also try an internal compressor, but could not get the plate between the coils.

The types I am considering that may fit better with the shock towers:
    Double Claw
    Double Hook
    Clam shell

Any others anyone can suggest that they found useful/easy to work in the tight DMC space?

BTW: I don't want to EVER deal with this again from #2:
    woops.jpg
    Last edited by jmettee; 11-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We use the OTC version or clam shell if you would like to call it that. The others will not work.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This is what you need to safely do the front springs. The clam compressors will only work on the front.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCPHERSON-ST...item2c60d48998

To do the rear springs, go down to autozone and rent a set of compressors for free. The auto zone tool looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25550-Stru...1844240&sr=8-1

Rears are cake, I can do them with just a floor jack (don't need a compressor). Been there, done that for shock replacement.

Guess I'll get that one from ebay based on you guys (Josh & Steve) saying it works....I was looking at it trying to decide if it would work with our small diameter springs.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    Rears are cake, I can do them with just a floor jack (don't need a compressor). Been there, done that for shock replacement.

Guess I'll get that one from ebay based on you guys (Josh & Steve) saying it works....I was looking at it trying to decide if it would work with our small diameter springs.
    The ebay one works fine. I've used it twice on the front of my car.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

I have never seen a spring compressor that was entirely confidence inspiring... That said, I used type 1 on my DeLorean front springs, without serious issue. If you feel like popping down to Reading with yours, we could pop it up on the lift and do some work - I have done front springs before (Justin, you have seen mine) and it went relatively smoothly. Also, installing lowering springs goes easier going in than coming out, cause there is not quite as much energy involved compressing your new springs.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 11-20-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

I just ordered the red clampshell version referenced above - hope to have it by the weekend & new springs installed. Looks like I'll actually have to separate the lower ball joints now for this one.

Question: When I pulled the UCA, 4 washers fell from between the UCA & shock tower. I assume this was 2 per side & used to take up the slack. These were not for any form of caster adjustment, were they? If they were, doesn't seem like much of an adjustment.

Jeff: Thanks for the offer. I'll be OK with my new tool. I had never done a spring change before, but was confident. Now, I'm a little less confident in the tools & have much more respect for the dangers of compressed suspension springs that I had given them given my issues with 2 types of compressors. The frame on the D is a challenge to work with those front springs. The fact that the OEM 14" spring needs to be squashed to ~8" to get out is pretty ridiculous!
    Last edited by jmettee; 11-21-2011 at 05:54 AM.

My VIN:    04915

I recently installed SPAX shocks on 4915 and used this style spring compressors. Due to the small diameter of our springs I couldn't use both hooks but just hanging one hook on each end they worked well with no issues. I bought these on Amazon.com for around $15.
    spax 007.jpg
    Jack Skeens

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    This is what I use without issue
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Use your bare hands. I did it. Check out the results after putting on Martin's springs brah:

Yeah, going to the gym pays off =)
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast