FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Front Spring Compressors

My VIN:    1800

I removed my springs and control arms today. I was expecting it to be a nightmare, but it actually went pretty easy.

I used this spring compressor with no issues.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=555573_0_0_

If you have an Autozone nearby, they will loan the tool to you. You give them a $50 deposit and when you return the tool it’s refunded.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    03572

So looks like the type with one long bolt going through the center of the sring will work
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessBullet View Post
    I removed my springs and control arms today. I was expecting it to be a nightmare, but it actually went pretty easy.

I used this spring compressor with no issues.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=555573_0_0_

If you have an Autozone nearby, they will loan the tool to you. You give them a $50 deposit and when you return the tool it’s refunded.
    That's the first one I tried but could not get the fork between the coils on the spring. Maybe I had the LCA jacked higher than I should have & couldn't get it through. I liked that one because it looked really secure. Oh well, I have clamshell & will be using it in a few hours.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So looks like the type with one long bolt going through the center of the sring will work
    I used that type when I changed out my springs. I compressed the whole LCA with the spring and removed them together. This does require separating the lower ball joint from the hub assembly though. Protect the LCA with thin sheet of wood. When releasing tension on OEM springs, it will not extend far enough to completely relax the spring. I did it in the driveway pointed away from the house with several towels covering it up. Once it let go it only jumped a few inches, I was expecting several feet.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

OK, I'm not one to admit defeat easily, but I'm right here right now:

I tried the clamshell compressor I just bought & tried with both 5 & 6 coils in the unit. I'm trying to re-install the OEM spring. The math is not working for me - 5 coils does not compress far enough & 6 coils *may* go far enough, but the force on the compressor tool bolt is getting excessive & as seen in the pic below (6 coils), I'm at 11" with a significant bow in the spring & really only have about 2.5" farther to compress (looks like 3" in the image, but that's due to tape measure location relative to the tool). Even if I did go that far, I don't think I could release the compressor from the spring before the hooks interfere with the top spring perch.

20111126_185108.jpg

By my calcs, the OEM spring (which is 14" at free length) needs to be compressed to 8" to be installed. I'm beginning to wonder if my OEM springs are somehow different than everyone else above that has not had problems removing/installing.

The only other compressor I have not tried that someone told me worked for them is this set.

I'm open for any other input. I've always overcome challenges with the car in the past, but these springs are killing me. I want to remove the spring without being attached to the LCA, so I don't want to attempt the home-made long thread version of the removal tool.
    Last edited by jmettee; 11-26-2011 at 07:34 PM.

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

It's possible that you have different springs. I've never seen bare metal ones like that before.

How the hell do you think the factory put those things on

Unfortunately I am not of much help. Try torquing your springs to about 90psi with a torque wrench, be sure to have sockets, and get back to me =)

(But seriously, keep me posted if you get it on or not)
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I have the harbor freight clamshell compressors and they have worked for me for the rears. when they go on sale the price is pretty cheap - thats what the ebay ones are - folks snatch them up when harbor freight puts them on sale and then sell on ebay after the sale ends.

The trick was to use the floor jack to make life easier - with the suspension fully extended put on the clamshell, compress the spring a bit with the floor jack, take up the slack with the clamshell, and then repeat as many times as you can. Eventually you have to start cranking on the clamshell, but is faster and easier to do most of the compressing with the floor jack.

Now... I also, once, did it the rears using tie wraps (about 250 per spring) - would not do it again though. Felt like a bomb squad technician the whole time - but it went pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    It's possible that you have different springs. I've never seen bare metal ones like that before.

How the hell do you think the factory put those things on

Unfortunately I am not of much help. Try torquing your springs to about 90psi with a torque wrench, be sure to have sockets, and get back to me =)

(But seriously, keep me posted if you get it on or not)
    Tyler, a previous owner spray-painted the whole front end silver to cover/prevent rust. The springs are mostly painted silver, but have some black showing in some spots. Would really love to know how the factory installed these things. Perhaps I need to give Grady a call. I'll try your torque wrench method

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    The trick was to use the floor jack to make life easier - with the suspension fully extended put on the clamshell, compress the spring a bit with the floor jack, take up the slack with the clamshell, and then repeat as many times as you can. Eventually you have to start cranking on the clamshell, but is faster and easier to do most of the compressing with the floor jack.
    Gotcha. My problem is starting from an OEM spring that is at free-length, so I don't have the luxury of the jack method right now. An aftermarket lowering spring is likely easier as they are already a few inches shorter. Had I known the lowering springs I was attempting to install would not fit (defective spring), I would not be trying to put the OEM back in

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Spring compressors are pretty frightening. You can crank the springs significantly further than you have pictured there, so long as the coils don't touch each other, you are still good. I know it seems like the tool can't take it, but it should be able to. I used an impact wrench on my spring compressor in order to get the stock springs out of there, it's very hard to turn the damn thing hard enough by hand.

Once you get your positioning right so you have clearance between the suspension components & your tool, and are fairly sure you can get the thing in / out when the spring is compressed you can stick an impact socket onto the tool and go to town till the spring is almost compressed coil to coil (but not touching)

It *should* fit right in or out then.

Likely at the factory, like most car assembly plants that make cars that don't have struts (The pre 1994 Saab 900 comes to mind) , they had some sort of spring compressor jig that had compressed springs ready to go that just popped them in, and released. Workers could just place the assembly and push a button.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    04915

... Try This

avery 008.jpg
    Justin, I made this contraption out of stuff I had. The picture is pretty much self-explanatory. The actual bolts I used were probably used for something else and I put these shorter, skinny ones in for this picture. If you're still having trouble with those front springs it may be worth a try ... it worked for me. Good luck.
    Jack Skeens

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast