FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Powdercoating

Powdercoating

I know some of you have powder coated your rims.What color/finish have you asked for? I saw a D with a shiny grey similar to the bumper cover that looked good,but,is that the only option?Thanks,Steve.

My VIN:    16419

I saw some polished ones and then I saw the chromed ones at the DMC Cali and IMO the chrome rims was pretty awesome.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The over all condition of your rims really effects how they will turn out. If you have substantial pitting around the center cap or obvious damage this will really hurt the final results. It is also very important to pre bake the rims prior to coating to prevent an out gas condition.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Powdercoating

No one really answered me.Is there a color i should ask for?I don`t want super shiny chrome.Thanks.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Completely personal preference. You need to look at the color samples and go from there. Every powder coat shop uses a different brand of powder as well. Ranging from tiger etc.

The rims must also be pre baked to avoid an out gas situation. That is where oil and impurities stuck down in the metal bake out under the powder.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    6125

One of my wheels has been refinished with powdercoat and it definitely looks more shiny grey than metalic silver. I would assume that the precise finish varies between different powder coating companies, but the color you are looking for is silver and not grey.

Maybe the place you are thinking of going with could give you a sample of what the finish will look like. That way you will know exactly what to expect when you get your wheels back. It will alow you to shop around until you find a place that satisfies your needs.

Edit: yeah what Josh said... he beat me to it
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-30-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Powercoated Rims

Just got mine back from the shop this week----really look nice---when we pulled the old tires off the wheels, the original silver finish was perfect---the shop matched this silver---they look exactly as original---about $50 per wheel here(Texarkana, Tx.)
    By the way---I need a spare wheel(original ) if anyone knows who might have one to sell. If not, does anyone know of a "junkyard" doughnut wheel that will fit until I can come up with an original---I hate to drive too far without a spare.
    Thanks

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I just removed the tires and matched the color of the rims that was under the tires. They looked super light when I first installed them back on the car, but now that they have been driven on, they look like they are a perfect match to the original color. Couldn't be happier.

A local guy here sand blasted and powder coated them for $60 per wheel. It was the best deal around here.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Powdercoating

Thanks,to all who replied.6864.