FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Insurance

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Who said you have to park the car at your house? Drop the thing off somewhere and just leave it. If it gets stolen, who cares?

All you need is to buy something that has vin tags and get the title/registration in your name. The thing doesn't even have to run.
    ...and after a month or two, call it in and report it as inoperable due to mechanical failure.

My VIN:    3937

I'm with Lant/SilverWheel. Your rate is 100% dependant on what your appraisal is for. Meaning, for every $1,000 your car is worth, it's so many dollars per year for the insurance. It's roughly 10 dollars for every $1,000 your car is worth. If it's appraised at $30k, then it'll be about $300 per year.

And the appraisal part is what prompted me to switch to this type of classic car insurance from my regular type of daily driver insurance. I got such a hassle from the old company about them accepting the appraisal, that as soon as it was due the next year I switched. They didn't agree with the appraisal, but instead only said it was worth about 7k lower. I'm like, "then what is the point of getting one of these licensed appraisal guys to give me the report?" if you're going to make your own mind up?

The idea with the appraisal, and I think it is called a 19A clause here in Canada, is that if you agree on the value ahead of time, then if it gets stolen or totalled, that's what they write the cheque to you for. Since your premiums are based on it, and I pay more if I value more for the car, I was confused and annoyed when they got difficult in accepting the value.

SilverWheel has some of the stipulations that Cory alluded to: mostly that you can't drive it to work. That's okay with me as I don't really want it parked out front the nuclear plant anyway (although I have thought there could be some pretty cool photo ops there!) Everything else I pretty much do with the car when I want to take it for a spin. My own personal comfort level with box store parking lots means I don't take it to go shopping anyway, so nothing lost there. But car shows, cruises, just going for a drive or over to someone's house, out for dinner, etc are all good to go. I think the driving to work and running errands are the main ones they prefer you don't do. And for the km limitations, I think mine is in the 10,000 km range or so (maybe more?) per year, and while I drove my car as much as I wanted to this year, I think I only put on about 3,500 km. The one catch might be your age, which I can't remember if they have a must be a licensed driver for 10 years minimum. I think they do, but since that doesn't affect me I didn't worry about it.

Any other questions, let us know!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm with Lant/SilverWheel. Your rate is 100% dependant on what your appraisal is for. Meaning, for every $1,000 your car is worth, it's so many dollars per year for the insurance. It's roughly 10 dollars for every $1,000 your car is worth. If it's appraised at $30k, then it'll be about $300 per year.

And the appraisal part is what prompted me to switch to this type of classic car insurance from my regular type of daily driver insurance. I got such a hassle from the old company about them accepting the appraisal, that as soon as it was due the next year I switched. They didn't agree with the appraisal, but instead only said it was worth about 7k lower. I'm like, "then what is the point of getting one of these licensed appraisal guys to give me the report?" if you're going to make your own mind up?

The idea with the appraisal, and I think it is called a 19A clause here in Canada, is that if you agree on the value ahead of time, then if it gets stolen or totalled, that's what they write the cheque to you for. Since your premiums are based on it, and I pay more if I value more for the car, I was confused and annoyed when they got difficult in accepting the value.

SilverWheel has some of the stipulations that Cory alluded to: mostly that you can't drive it to work. That's okay with me as I don't really want it parked out front the nuclear plant anyway (although I have thought there could be some pretty cool photo ops there!) Everything else I pretty much do with the car when I want to take it for a spin. My own personal comfort level with box store parking lots means I don't take it to go shopping anyway, so nothing lost there. But car shows, cruises, just going for a drive or over to someone's house, out for dinner, etc are all good to go. I think the driving to work and running errands are the main ones they prefer you don't do. And for the km limitations, I think mine is in the 10,000 km range or so (maybe more?) per year, and while I drove my car as much as I wanted to this year, I think I only put on about 3,500 km. The one catch might be your age, which I can't remember if they have a must be a licensed driver for 10 years minimum. I think they do, but since that doesn't affect me I didn't worry about it.

Any other questions, let us know!
    Yeah, I would love to go with Silver Wheel, but they will not budge on the age stipulation. I can't do it, i've tried

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2