FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto shipping companies

http://www.transportreviews.com/

This is good site for reviews of transport companies.

Stay away from Express auto transport and total car shipping/ Barnhart Express Inc.

I had used express before and had good luck with them. Not knowing the company went out of business and their phone numbers got sold to a new company. the New company doesn't tell you that, They just take an order the they can't fill. I waiting almost 3 weeks for a truck from them.

Than I switched to Total Car shipping to ship the same car. They had a driver with in 48 hours. They hired Barnhart Express Inc to move my car. I got the car about a week later. The driver explained there was dirt on the hood, but it would come right off. I signed the bill of ladding. get back to my house hose off the car. Now there are spots that won't come off. Turned out to be dried up hydraulic fluid. After about a 6 month fight with total car shipping, Barnhart Express Inc and Barnhart's insurance company I was able to recover half of the repair.

Hope that helps
    Brian

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    All very true. We see quite a few transporters and they range from great (Passport) to dubious (two guys in an ancient truck with no rock screen, no drip pans, and no name on the truck, with junker cars dripping all over each other).

Most of the internet booking companies are just that - they take your info and money, and then put it on a bulletin board system and find the lowest bidder. They don't really know anything about the carriers they use. The dispatcher takes a cut and pays the driver less (hey - it's a business) but this often gets you someone who is just starting out and doesn't really know what they are doing. The dispatchers often screw the driver too, by telling them that the recipient should pay the driver even though the car owner already paid the company. They charge you extra for moving a non-running car but "forget" to tell the driver, who of course shows up with no winch, no helpers, and a bad attitude.

Horror stories abound, both in terms of scheduling (can I pick the car up at 11 pm Sunday night?) to service (damage to cars). If you are moving a parts car it's probably not a big deal, but if you are moving something you care about, use a branded service with their own trucks and drivers. I know of one DeLorean that was shipped and arrived missing its gas-flap hood.

If you are paying thousands to buy a car, don't scrimp on a few hundred when shipping it.
    I used Passport and I was amazed. I've written this before in other threads but will gladly write it again.

They are great people. In order to accommodate my pickup in Scottsdale, AZ which had only a small window of availability (my vacation time), they RE-PLANNED THEIR ROUTE in order to make it to my pick-up in time! They went out of their way, literally! Don't forget they have dozens of cars to move across the country!

The driver, Mike, would call every few days to say Hi, let me know where he was and that the car was doing fine. On top of that, you can follow the truck via GPS.

They go over the car with a fine toothed comb and document EVERYTHING on pickup and drop off.

Naturally, it was enclosed.
    Attached Images
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4519

Anyone have recommendations for open transport companies, or does anyone here happen to be driving from MS to the Northeast with an empty trailer this week?

UShip obviously uses brokers & bidding...etc, but they do make some protection claims on their site and I'm also wondering if they've earned a good reputation with their exposure on shipping wars.

I checked w/AAA Anytime someone here mentioned, they guarantee their price and also claim the transport is booked vs. put up for bid.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 03-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.

My VIN:    6235

I have used this company twice for Delorean shipping and just recently for my brother in law to ship a mini from Texas to California. They are a broker but they haven't let me down yet. 305-945-2008. Core nautical group.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I always suggest to any collectable car owner to join AAA and get the maximum 200 mile tow coverage if they ever travel long distance to shows or other destinations.
    In the meantime I recently found a small tower who has good equipment, works weekends, is very hospitable and best of all has the best prices I've seen in years. He predominantly works the NorthEast but will go almost anywhere when his schedule permits. He does Florida and west coast runs occasionally as well. If someone wants to come here for service, but doesn't want to foot the high bills I've seen from other towers, he give...epecially if I give him multple pickups and dropoffs at one time. He is a three man operation with multiple trucks and a large storage facility. Give him a try and mention we recommended him and he'll give you a good price and great service. He does enclosed transport for us but probably does open too at even lower prices.
    [email protected] John Ganssle (845)721-7906

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for open transport companies, or does anyone here happen to be driving from MS to the Northeast with an empty trailer this week?

UShip obviously uses brokers & bidding...etc, but they do make some protection claims on their site and I'm also wondering if they've earned a good reputation with their exposure on shipping wars.

I checked w/AAA Anytime someone here mentioned, they guarantee their price and also claim the transport is booked vs. put up for bid.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I always suggest to any collectable car owner to join AAA and get the maximum 200 mile tow coverage if they ever travel long distance to shows or other destinations.
    In the meantime I recently found a small tower who has good equipment, works weekends, is very hospitable and best of all has the best prices I've seen in years. He predominantly works the NorthEast but will go almost anywhere when his schedule permits. He does Florida and west coast runs occasionally as well. If someone wants to come here for service, but doesn't want to foot the high bills I've seen from other towers, he give...epecially if I give him multple pickups and dropoffs at one time. He is a three man operation with multiple trucks and a large storage facility. Give him a try and mention we recommended him and he'll give you a good price and great service. He does enclosed transport for us but probably does open too at even lower prices.
    I wish I knew this last week when I messaged you!

I already have something scheduled, but if it falls through I'll check into ABB and Core.

Quote Originally Posted by spedlot View Post
    I have used this company twice for Delorean shipping and just recently for my brother in law to ship a mini from Texas to California. They are a broker but they haven't let me down yet. 305-945-2008. Core nautical group.
    Thanks!

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Great! I will be shipping my car to Florida pretty soon. I'll definitely contact ABB.

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

I want to get my doors aligned and contoured so they close right. Damned if its not $1500, which is a bit much for just that process. Wish there was someone in San Antonio that could do it!

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Sorry but his first two tow's for me were just this weekend. I can't really recommend someone until I try them!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I wish I knew this last week when I messaged you!

I already have something scheduled, but if it falls through I'll check into ABB and Core.

Thanks!

My VIN:    04915

Do not use Fleet Express Auto Transport. They are based in Miami ...I over paid
    $400 and they won't give it back.
    Jack Skeens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast