FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 749 of 920 FirstFirst ... 249 649 699 739 747 748 749 750 751 759 799 849 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,490 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Door switch

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Wow, that's a great idea....could you do a write up?
    Maybe the "idea from someone on DMCTalk" mentioned in Post #7476 is the write up you want, somewhere in this one:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3151

#8 perhaps...
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Wow, that's a great idea....could you do a write up?
    Here is another thread option.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?31...hlight=mercury
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

door switch

Thanks guys on the door switch idea.....

My VIN:    3455

Had some free time so I started working on my exhaust. After adjusting the valves last week, I was still hearing a ticking noise and read somewhere the 2nd most likely cause would be an exhaust leak. There appeared to be a little scorching on the cyl 3 gasket so I decided to look into it. Planning to replace gaskets and studs, resurface the manifolds, and repair a hairline crack on one of the pipes to the driver side turbo. Removed both manifolds without a single broken bolt. Gaskets were in pretty poor shape on the drivers side. The passenger side gaskets were in much better condition except for the scorching on cyl 3. It also looked like that gasket had been installed incorrectly, cutting off some of the airflow.

IMG_3121.jpg

I'm going to try high-temp JB weld on the crack and hope for the best. I'm open to suggestions if there's a better solution.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The gaskets only fit one way. The EGR port below the large opening is not used on the Delorean. The hole just remains blocked off by the manifold flange.

Is the cracked pipe a casting or bent tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalB View Post
    Had some free time so I started working on my exhaust. After adjusting the valves last week, I was still hearing a ticking noise and read somewhere the 2nd most likely cause would be an exhaust leak. There appeared to be a little scorching on the cyl 3 gasket so I decided to look into it. Planning to replace gaskets and studs, resurface the manifolds, and repair a hairline crack on one of the pipes to the driver side turbo. Removed both manifolds without a single broken bolt. Gaskets were in pretty poor shape on the drivers side. The passenger side gaskets were in much better condition except for the scorching on cyl 3. It also looked like that gasket had been installed incorrectly, cutting off some of the airflow.

IMG_3121.jpg

I'm going to try high-temp JB weld on the crack and hope for the best. I'm open to suggestions if there's a better solution.
    Cool. Yeah, when I did mine, 3 of the 6 gaskets were leaking. At least 2 of the gaskets were installed backwards (see picture). I can't imagine anyone not paying enough attention to do this.... Well, maybe I can.

When I was done with the work you are doing my ticking sound was gone and there was a noticeable improvement in power and quietness.

One tip, I suggest you apply high temp gasket maker to both sides of the gaskets like so:

Results:
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Cool. Yeah, when I did mine, 3 of the 6 gaskets were leaking. At least 2 of the gaskets were installed backwards (see picture). I can't imagine anyone not paying enough attention to do this.... Well, maybe I can.

When I was done with the work you are doing my ticking sound was gone and there was a noticeable improvement in power and quietness.
    On 2nd look, the gasket wasn't backwards, rather the corner was torn like yours so the gasket was off-center. I didn't take pics of those b/c they were otherwise unremarkable.

My car's PO cut the mufflers off so it's always been really loud. I added cats in October that took the edge off the noise, but it was still pretty loud. The manifolds and turbos are in good shape, but I really need to replace the pipes that join the turbos to the manifolds. (To answer someone else's question the crack I need to patch is in the pipe on one of these.) Turns out those aren't so easy to come by You could see it needed gaskets but I kept putting the job off b/c I read so many stories about breaking studs. Luckily they ended up not being an issue. Other than the ticking, it'll be an added bonus if this job quiets it down a bit.

I read on the permatex site as well as a few other places that gasket maker isn't really recommended for use with a gasket as it spreads so thin that it's not effective under high heat/stress. Instead they recommended a sealant, but even then I read several arguments for just using the gasket alone, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. That said, the side that had permatex on the previous gaskets didn't look like there was much of it left.

For the crack, I would find a good welder to see if he can repair it rather than doing JB Weld. I had good luck repairing a crack in an exhaust manifold from a Porsche. Definitely the $40 weld was less expensive than a new manifold.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

All done and back together. A friend offered to help with welding the crack. Ticking sound is gone and definite improvement in power! I'm super-happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalB View Post
    All done and back together. A friend offered to help with welding the crack. Ticking sound is gone and definite improvement in power! I'm super-happy with the results.
    Awesome! Great to hear.
    Dana

Page 749 of 920 FirstFirst ... 249 649 699 739 747 748 749 750 751 759 799 849 ... LastLast