FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 852 of 920 FirstFirst ... 352 752 802 842 850 851 852 853 854 862 902 ... LastLast
Results 8,511 to 8,520 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBill View Post
    Temperature gauge seems low (fans come on, though).
    Should be at about 1/4 of the gauge IIRC. It's if lower, the thermostat may be stuck open.

I started coating the front impact absorber with flex seal. Also got in touch someone that should be able to start doing some frame repair to the sections i cut out. He said he'd be calling around for a place where I could chemically strip the frame. The one he used before is about 3 mins from my job.

My VIN:    5510

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Should be at about 1/4 of the gauge IIRC. It's if lower, the thermostat may be stuck open.
    Oh - well, in that case maybe it's fine. That's pretty much where the gauge is when its all warmed up. I used an infrared thermometer to read the temperature on the pipe leaving the engine on the driver's side, and it's significantly hotter than the temperature listed.

Picked these up from the local industrial cleaner. Now just need to take them to get powdercoated

My VIN:    6125

Picked these up from the local industrial cleaner. Now just need to take them to get powdercoated

Since you've got them all nice and clean, if I were you I'd consider touching up the welds with a sanding disc or abrasive wheel to smooth out the surface and get rid of the weld spatter. It can make a noticeable difference in preventing rust since sharp edges and the porous surfaces of the welds are where rust typically starts.

Here's an example of what I did with my rear suspension links:

After chemical strip:

After sand blasting and smoothing out the welds:

For once, I wasn't even thinking of going down that route and just taking them to the powdercoaters tomorrow cause I'm motivated to just get things done lol. But yeah you're right I even got welding wire in one spot. It needs to be cleaned up.

For once, I wasn't even thinking of going down that route and just taking them to the powdercoaters tomorrow cause I'm motivated to just get things done lol. But yeah you're right I even got welding wire in one spot. It needs to be cleaned up.
    It's a pain to do, but the final result will be worth it. I remember my back aching for days from sitting hunched over at the sand blasting cabinet. Lots of hours with a dremel too getting all those nooks and crannies smooth. You're most of the way there with where you're at now.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-17-2020 at 01:23 PM.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Years ago, my powder coater offered a zinc rich coat as a base coat for additional rust protection. Then put a color coat on top. The zinc rich version was not color fast degrading due to UV degradation. Thus the two coats. I suspect things have changed since then.

My TA's were severely rusted so I replaced them. Plus the TA bolt would not come out. They must get a lot of chips and flex that exposes the original coating.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Mine weren't bad, but they served as perfect test pieces before i do the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Years ago, my powder coater offered a zinc rich coat as a base coat for additional rust protection. Then put a color coat on top. The zinc rich version was not color fast degrading due to UV degradation. Thus the two coats. I suspect things have changed since then.

My TA's were severely rusted so I replaced them. Plus the TA bolt would not come out. They must get a lot of chips and flex that exposes the original coating.
    Zinc rich primer is still a thing when it comes to powder coating. I've created a few parts at work that call out Sherwin Williams EAS6-C0025. These get top coated in silver to match the finish of surrounding hot dip galvanized parts.

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...dno=EAS6-C0025

Dropped my trailing arms off at the powdercoaters then picked them up a few hours later. Super fast turnaround.

Page 852 of 920 FirstFirst ... 352 752 802 842 850 851 852 853 854 862 902 ... LastLast