FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 835 of 920 FirstFirst ... 335 735 785 825 833 834 835 836 837 845 885 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,350 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    5510

Spent the weekend continuing to tear down the frame - almost done!

The only items left on the frame are:
    • Brake lines on the rear
    • Radius arms / trailing arms (bolts are frozen, stuck to the trailing arm)
    • Fuel accumulator
    • Shifter & linkage
    • Steering rack
    • Engine mounts
    • All the little plastic clips and things

The suspension came off fairly easily, but there are a couple of stuck bolts. The bolts on the rear hubs that connect to the lower support arm - it's solidly stuck on both sides. My trailing arm bolts are also locked up, so I haven't been able to remove the trailing arms. Also, the flexible brake lines in the rear that connect between the frame and the trailing arms? Terribly rusted together and the little mounts for them just bend when I try to hit them loose. I got one on the frame side loose by smashing it with a hammer about a hundred times.

I'm hoping that I can get all of the remaining parts removed this week in the evenings.

Another thing I've been doing is reaching out to places to try and find options for getting the frame stripped of epoxy - either chemically dipped, sandblasted, or burnt, and then galvanized and powder coated. I found one place in Eugene, OR (~5 hours drive away from me, in Seattle) that does chemical dipping - and they are the closest option! I may send them a trailing arm or piece of the front frame extension as a test. For sandblasting and powder coating, I have tons of options - one place quoted me $120/hr for sandblasting and said it would probably take 4 hours if it works. I've searched high and low for some place with an oven, but there's nothing here. For galvanizing, there is a place about 30 minutes North of me, and another 30 minutes South, that I'm waiting to hear back from.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Decided to fix this issue

The boot is about 23 years old from PJ Grady. Other than the tear around the outer rim, it didn’t show any signs of rubber disintegration within the fuel tank. The inside of the tank was remarkably clean. Only a couple pieces of foreign debris.

All wiped clean

I opted to install the integrated fuel pump module.

No issues installing the access panel.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5312

Changed out the fuel accumulator on my buddies DeLorean. Wasn't too bad if you have all the tools you need.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    04629

Fuel Pump Assembly

@ DMC5180,

Did the fuel pump assembly fit(as you said) without lifting the access panel when all was re-assembled and screwed down?

So you didn't have to cut/modify anything in replacing your fuel pump with the modern replacement?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    @ DMC5180,

Did the fuel pump assembly fit(as you said) without lifting the access panel when all was re-assembled and screwed down?

So you didn't have to cut/modify anything in replacing your fuel pump with the modern replacement?

TIA
    I didn’t modify anything. Just installed the cover per the method in the instructions.

The cover does make hard contact with the pump. You install the 3 front bottom screws first then push down and back on the cover to install the top center screw. From there I just went outward alternating in both directions with the screw installation. I went for 35 mile drive and didn’t notice any induced vibrations from the fuel pump hard contact. It is important to clock the pump in the right position for the least amount of hard contact. I have seen a pump module installed that the cover couldn’t be installed due to an odd fitting in the top of the unit in the flat area in front of the connection bosses. It was also on a carbureted car. So who knows where the pump was sourced from.

The fuel tank plastic, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the tank flexed down slightly as I pushed down on the cover during installation.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    04629

@ DMC5180,

Thanks for your reply. My fuel pump assembly is currently working quite well(for now). This pump in my car is my second one in my 27 years of ownership.

Really just doing research for when 'that day' occurs, I don't like having my car mechanically down for any length of time.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Cool

@ DMC5180,
    I don't like having my car mechanically down for any length of time.
    Allow me to share with you a sad truth about classic British Automobiles.....

@ DMC5180,

Thanks for your reply. My fuel pump assembly is currently working quite well(for now). This pump in my car is my second one in my 27 years of ownership.

Really just doing research for when 'that day' occurs, I don't like having my car mechanically down for any length of time.
    Yeah, my 2001 Bosch pump worked fine. That wasn’t the issue, I had a torn cover and mounting boot. I could have just replaced those and been fine. I just chose to upgrade to the integrated style to see if it helps reduce the hot fuel noise that was quite loud during low fuel conditions.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    ... the hot fuel noise that was quite loud ...
    I thought that was the tell-tail indicator that the fuel pump was working.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    I thought that was the tell-tail indicator that the fuel pump was working.
    So true

I prefer a running engine as my pump indicator
    DENNIS

Page 835 of 920 FirstFirst ... 335 735 785 825 833 834 835 836 837 845 885 ... LastLast