FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 918 of 920 FirstFirst ... 418 818 868 908 916 917 918 919 920 LastLast
Results 9,171 to 9,180 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I donated my Delorean for my old Temple to use in a photoshoot to promote their 80?s themed Purim carnival.

https://imgur.com/a/gkdAs3Q

I have work the day of the carnival, but another local owner is donating his that day.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Looks awesome, I'm amazed at how well everything cleaned up. Did you vapor blast the intake manifold to get it that clean, or did you paint?

Nice work all around.
    Thanks!

Actually I used Aircraft paint stripper which worked very well to clean, then I painted with engine enamel.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    11596

Not many things to work on these days but I'm finally addressing one of the last cosmetic AND functional parts of the car that has never been serviced - the hood gasket! I was cleaning up the garage and found a new gasket I ordered over a year ago still in the bag and thought hmmm sounds fun.

As you can see the old gasket was adhered with some nasty yellow glue that really looks quite bad. And to make it worse, a previous owner at least 25 years ago used epoxy to try to keep the seal in plate. So, I'm scraping scraping scraping with a bit of heat gun and gasket scraper, lacquer thinner, and red scotch brite. No way to remove the epoxy unless I sand it down so that's what I'm doing which unfortunately means repainting the hood. Oh well - I'll probably use SEM Trim Black.

Pretty much done removing the old stuff already , just need to finish up the epoxy sanding and then rough up the old paint a bit with scotch brite. Mask off the carpets and edges, remove hardware, and wipe down with isopropyl, and time to paint.

PXL_20240304_235009730.jpg PXL_20240305_132035191.jpg PXL_20240305_132044902.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Not many things to work on these days but I'm finally addressing one of the last cosmetic AND functional parts of the car that has never been serviced - the hood gasket! I was cleaning up the garage and found a new gasket I ordered over a year ago still in the bag and thought hmmm sounds fun.

As you can see the old gasket was adhered with some nasty yellow glue that really looks quite bad. And to make it worse, a previous owner at least 25 years ago used epoxy to try to keep the seal in plate. So, I'm scraping scraping scraping with a bit of heat gun and gasket scraper, lacquer thinner, and red scotch brite. No way to remove the epoxy unless I sand it down so that's what I'm doing which unfortunately means repainting the hood. Oh well - I'll probably use SEM Trim Black.

Pretty much done removing the old stuff already , just need to finish up the epoxy sanding and then rough up the old paint a bit with scotch brite. Mask off the carpets and edges, remove hardware, and wipe down with isopropyl, and time to paint.

PXL_20240304_235009730.jpg PXL_20240305_132035191.jpg PXL_20240305_132044902.jpg
    If you haven't removed all the epoxy yet, you might want to try brake fluid and heat. I've used that combination successfully before to take apart something some goofball epoxied together.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post

Dude! Don't put that POS NOS gasket on yet! Use my trick

CIMG4017.jpg
    CIMG4018.jpg

It's a universal self adhesive weatherstrip found at Lowes. Not only does it work, it looks better and keeps the hood corners from sticking up above the fenders.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Dude! Don't put that POS NOS gasket on yet! Use my trick

It's a universal self adhesive weatherstrip found at Lowes. Not only does it work, it looks better and keeps the hood corners from sticking up above the fenders.
    I concur.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I concur.
    Damn , everyone is telling me to use that.... Must be something to it.... Got a link??

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

OK you guys got me convinced. Found it on the Lowes website. I will buy a pack and see what I think! I'm a picky mofo though!!!

Got the hood prepped and almost ready to paint this morning. I got the epoxy sanded down flat with 150 grit, went over the rest of the black fiberglass with 400 grit, vacuumed it, wiped down with lacquer thinner on towels, and started to mask off the edges and the carpeting. I'm cutting paper grocery bags to shape, a bit smaller than the carpet sections, and holding them in place with blue duct tape on the carpet (few small pieces). Then masking the carpet edges with blue painter tape. All the hardware is removed, too.

Note that the metal bracket that the hood striker is on is loose inside the hood. My hood is upside down on sawhorses right now so I don't know if the bracket can slide all the way down the fiberglass into the corners!! I took the striker and four screws out and suddenly realized I almost lost the bracket inside. I reattached it with just one screw for now.

I think I'll spray the edges of the "X", etc with the hood on the sawhorses, then set up against a wall with plastic sheet behind it to spray the flatter surfaces. Two coats and let dry at least 24 hours before putting any weatherstrip on.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Good time to upgrade the hood intrusion brackets.
    hood int bracket.jpg
    ~LXA~

Page 918 of 920 FirstFirst ... 418 818 868 908 916 917 918 919 920 LastLast