FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rivnuts - material type? Possible alternatives?

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Rivnuts - material type? Possible alternatives?

I came across a rivnut missing. There are a couple more I?ve known of missing/broken for a while, so I?m going to replace a bunch of them. I was looking at them on ebay and unsure what material given their application. Stainless steel won?t have corrosion issues but I expect will be?. tougher? More likely to cause an issue/fiberglass damage if needing to be removed in the future. Aluminum may corrode, but less likely future damage?

Am I overthinking this? I only need a handful (fuel pump/panels in bonnet, one on the air intake hole?)

Is there an easier alternative to rivnuts at all that I?m missing?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10270

I've used modern zinc coated rivnuts, they seem to grab the body better than the originals and are less likely to spin. I have stainless rivnuts too but haven't tried them, I think you'd just want to be careful of galling if using stainless fasteners.

A lot of rivnuts are used in non load-bearing applications (like the infill panels). For these I've switched to nylon screws. Cheap, no rust.

Just don't draw oddly fitting areas together with them, squeeze panels together then tighten.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is an alternative, it is called a jacknut. Looks like a drywall anchor. Take a look at Mr G's Enterprises, he has all kinds of unusual hardware. The problem with using these types of nuts, is where the screw protrudes past the nut and then rusts, when you go to remove it the rust prevents it from going through the threads of the nut and when you try to force it, you spin the rivnut. The jacknut is not as sensitive to the thickness or size of the hole but suffers from the same problem of rust. Plastic or nylon screws could be the best answer. At least if they get stuck they are a whole lot easier to chop off. You haven't had real fun until you try to remove the cover that holds the washer fluid. Just about every one of those screws will have to get cut off and some of them are difficult to get to.
    David Teitelbaum