FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Move a window up without the window motor?

Move a window up without the window motor?

Newbie to Deloreans here...

The passenger window is in the down position, window switch doesn't do anything nor does giving the motor 12v directly, other than a very quiet click once, so looks like I'll have the replace the regulator. As the door window was open for many years and the car was exposed to the elements I suspect that the motor will be rotted inside.

Is there a way to raise the window temporarily to keep the elements out while I wait for the new regulator? The plastic bag taped to the window isn't the look I'm going for

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

First, make sure that when you tested the window motor with 12V you had the correct polarity. Did you try powering the motor in both directions?
    If the window was fully down and you connected the wires so as to move it downward then it wouldn't move but it would make a noise. Not sure what kind of click you heard.

About your question.
    No, there's no way to raise the drop glass without getting into the door after removing both of the door panels. And if you did manage to raise it you'd need a good-looking way to keep it there while you drive it?

After you're sure you have a bad regulator it won't take long to get it replaced as long as you have the skills or know somebody who does. It's nothing special as long as you take your time and you mask the sharp edges of the stainless door cutouts you'll be reaching through for that job.

Vendors have passenger door window regulators in stock at the moment.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

And welcome to the world of DeLorean ownership!!
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks very much Rich for the info, I did indeed reverse the polarity on the motor and nothing, have the door card off and I can't see telltale broken plastic and the window is on its tracks

I've gone ahead and ordered the motors as I need working windows anyway!