FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 844 of 920 FirstFirst ... 344 744 794 834 842 843 844 845 846 854 894 ... LastLast
Results 8,431 to 8,440 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I've been prepping the car for a trip this weekend where I am going to put around 500 miles on her. Since my last issue of my fans cycling due to a couple of dirty pings on the bulkhead connector (and cleaning that) a bit, I have wanted to thoroughly give all of the bulkhead connectors a bath.

2020-08-30 17.51.52.jpg

What I am doing is soaking each connector in a mason jar filled with a Vinegar/salt solution for 20 minutes then afterwards I pull it out, dry it off, and scrape the inside of the female pins clean with a dremel bit. I then rinse with a Baking Soda/Water mix in order neutralize oxidation and of course dry it off. I then pop the connector/pins with QD Electronic Cleaner to remove the moisture. When I get all of them clean, I am going to apply Dielectric Grease on the male pins on the bulkhead and plug em' in which will most likely be tomorrow. As of this writing, I have 7 of 8 bulkhead connectors cleaned up

2020-08-30 18.23.15.jpg

Note the shininess of the bulkhead connector on the left compared to the corrosion built up on the one on the right.

The picture below is of the corroded connector in the above picture after its bath.

2020-08-30 18.51.38.jpg
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    I've been prepping the car for a trip this weekend where I am going to put around 500 miles on her. Since my last issue of my fans cycling due to a couple of dirty pings on the bulkhead connector (and cleaning that) a bit, I have wanted to thoroughly give all of the bulkhead connectors a bath.

2020-08-30 17.51.52.jpg

What I am doing is soaking each connector in a mason jar filled with a Vinegar/salt solution for 20 minutes then afterwards I pull it out, dry it off, and scrape the inside of the female pins clean with a dremel bit. I then rinse with a Baking Soda/Water mix in order neutralize oxidation and of course dry it off. I then pop the connector/pins with QD Electronic Cleaner to remove the moisture. When I get all of them clean, I am going to apply Dielectric Grease on the male pins on the bulkhead and plug em' in which will most likely be tomorrow. As of this writing, I have 7 of 8 bulkhead connectors cleaned up

2020-08-30 18.23.15.jpg

Note the shininess of the bulkhead connector on the left compared to the corrosion built up on the one on the right.

The picture below is of the corroded connector in the above picture after its bath.

2020-08-30 18.51.38.jpg
    Try Tarn-x. Soak it for about 30 to 60 seconds. Then I use a solvent to rinse it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post

2020-08-30 17.51.52.jpg

2020-08-30 18.23.15.jpg

2020-08-30 18.51.38.jpg
    Dielectric Grease is non-conductive, you don't want to put it on the conductors after you've done all that cleaning. The grease should be applied to the outside of the plastic shell so that when you connect them, it forms a seal.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Re-doing the interior

Decided to redo the inside, and starting with the carpet.
    Last edited by Victor; 09-05-2020 at 08:15 PM.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Dielectric Grease is non-conductive, you don't want to put it on the conductors after you've done all that cleaning. The grease should be applied to the outside of the plastic shell so that when you connect them, it forms a seal.
    With dielectric grease on the connector metal pins, the metal still makes metal to metal electrical contact but the grease forms a moisture and oxygen barrier to prevent corrosion ... at least that is what I've heard but I could be wrong :-)
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    5510

I spent about 5 hours working on the restoration today. All of the cast aluminum parts that need to go out for TIG welding are ready to go (rear hub carriers, front knuckles, transmission case), the exhaust manifolds are ready to be sent out for machining, all of the steel parts that I'll be welding up are ready to go (dust shield, flywheel inspection plate, transmission dipstick tube), and I only have 4 more items that need to be cleaned up before everything is ready for zinc plating... There's ~140 items being plated! And I've got about 10 other items remaining to clean up before they're ready to be sent for powder coating.

My spreadsheet currently shows me at 83.7% of items ready for coating, and I should be able to wrap up most of the remaining stuff this weekend. I'm sure you all know this... but damn, this is exhausting. It just seems like it never ends!!

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Baby got new shoes! How fast they grow up.

Today I took the D for a ride on its new tires (Hankook Kinergy). I'm pleased, very pleased.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15992-What-tires-are-you-running-on-Its-been-8-yrs/page4

Also changed:
    - Lugnuts (using:
    2x1.5 Dodge Caravan Intrepid Stratus Neon Factory OEM Stainless Lug Nuts. Search eBay for listings). These are shinny polished SS. The originals (as best I can tell from mine) were more grayish and a duller finish. The new ones look good but they are more noticeable than the originals given the brighter appearance.
    - New hubs. For whatever reason, my hubs have some of the finish scratched off, showing the underlying black. I got a set of new ones for 897 (darker rims) but they are a shade darker than my rims. So that is somewhat confusing and disappointing. I might look into spraying the original hubs if I could get the right color.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    - New hubs. For whatever reason, my hubs have some of the finish scratched off, showing the underlying black. I got a set of new ones for 897 (darker rims) but they are a shade darker than my rims. So that is somewhat confusing and disappointing. I might look into spraying the original hubs if I could get the right color.
    The center caps on the early-style grey wheels "should" be a couple of shades darker than the wheels themselves. It's very common to see them faded/oxidized, and peeling (revealing the black plastic underneath), though.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    3937

COVID birthday drive-by

I got to join one of those birthday drive-by's on Monday. You guys heard about these? Kids stuck at home through the COVID crisis, celebrating birthdays alone is no fun. So why not get a few cars to do a drive-by, horn-honking birthday celebration. A cruise night I like to go to (not in 2020 of course) has organized a few of these for local kids. Gives the classic car owners a chance to get out too.

The video was taken by the boy's mother. It was his 7th birthday. It rained a lot earlier in the day or I think we might have had more cars. It was still a good turn-out. And having a few extra Hot Wheels DeLoreans still in a box in the basement came in handy... I gave him one through the passenger window

https://www.facebook.com/541701166/v...ZMOL0L3friKQgm

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I got to join one of those birthday drive-by's on Monday. You guys heard about these? Kids stuck at home through the COVID crisis, celebrating birthdays alone is no fun. So why not get a few cars to do a drive-by, horn-honking birthday celebration. A cruise night I like to go to (not in 2020 of course) has organized a few of these for local kids. Gives the classic car owners a chance to get out too.

The video was taken by the boy's mother. It was his 7th birthday. It rained a lot earlier in the day or I think we might have had more cars. It was still a good turn-out. And having a few extra Hot Wheels DeLoreans still in a box in the basement came in handy... I gave him one through the passenger window

https://www.facebook.com/541701166/v...ZMOL0L3friKQgm

Thatd be a cool thing...though maybe not honking the delorean horn, since it sounds like a dying llama.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 844 of 920 FirstFirst ... 344 744 794 834 842 843 844 845 846 854 894 ... LastLast