FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 876 of 920 FirstFirst ... 376 776 826 866 874 875 876 877 878 886 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,760 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So what's the deal with your fancy gas cap? Also, what are the two boxes on the pax side?

Ps, with the tower brace you have, can you remove the spare with only one side off? How about checking the brake fluid?
    Anytime I need access to the spare or brake fluid I do need to remove two bolts. Not a big deal for me especially considering the number of screws to remove to access the pump or master cyl. In 12 years and 30k miles, I have never had a flat. If I do have a flat, after jacking the car up and removing 4 lugs, 2 more bolts is hardly worth worrying about. I have however needed to access the fuel pump multiple times before moving to DeLorean Industries' offering.

The two packages on the side are a CD changer and a first aid kit.

I got the fancy filler neck fasteners at Spatula City.
    Last edited by Michael; 07-26-2021 at 09:56 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The strut tower brace makes a HUGE difference in the front end feel through the curves, especially if you are running stiffer suspension.

Agreed. Way back when they first came out I thought it was just snake oil, but after driving a car before and after I could tell a huge difference when turning, swerving and alike. It really makes the steering feel more responsive and tight.

Attachment 66921
    I got the fancy filler neck fasteners at Spatula City.
    "Don't forget, they make great Christmas presents!"
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Replaced my injectors. That smoothed out a rough idle and slight loss of power that had recently developed. Two injectors had a slightly less than perfect spray pattern when I tested them. I was a little unsure that was the cause because they were still what I would have considered a decent spray pattern; just not *perfect*. They were all about 12 years old though, so I figured why not. Sure enough, it smoothed out the idle.

Also replaced the bonnet struts; Mine were only a few years old and would not support the weight of the bonnet raised.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Picked up a 12 AWG wire from the parts store and moved the fuel pump/inertia switch ground wire to the shifter mounting bolt. My voltage gauge reading is a little more accurate now.

IMG_20210727_194712.jpg IMG_20210727_203407.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Detailed the clear plastic face of our D's clock. At some angles in certain light it was looking a bit sad, scratch-wise. I had seen it like this for years and years, never thinking I could do something about it.

Some masking prep and some plastic polish (Griot's) rubbed on by hand spiffed it up. Masking included the two time-adjust buttons to keep the liquid polish away from them. Now only a few of the deeper scratches remain. That works for me, short of a replacement (NLA).

Before-after photos:

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Well I just spent the last two days driving a 1000 miles to Delaware for some work. (Flight instruction) My student said he felt sick last night when I got here. He just left to go to the hospital to be tested for Covid. If he turns out positive, I will be be driving home. I guess it's a good workout for the D.

I can't get mad at him because about a month ago I was in NY and planned to come south through Delaware for this job and I got covid. So I drove straight home. If I go home today, I guess I will be coming back here in a month. (When he feels better) I'll be crossing the 100,000 mile mark on that trip if not before. (I'm at 98 something now)

My VIN:    11596

Working on some updates to 11596 including new fuel lines. Got the frequency valve line assembled so when I install my valve cover later today I'll get that mounted as well. Also drilled out and tapped the ground screw on the driver's side of the intake manifold so I can keep those wires tucked back by the firewall. It broke off many many years ago and I had them attached to one of the L-brackets for the mixture unit ever since. Nice to get them back where they belong!

IMG_20210801_212009_01.jpg
    IMG_20210801_203333_01.jpg
    IMG_20210801_200858_01.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    11596

I'm really on a roll, now. Last night and this morning (yes, before work) I accomplished the following:

1) Install new fuel accumulator and high pressure flex lines. This is never a fun job laying on your back on a creeper. The hardest part was holding the accumulator in place while securing the bracket under it. I found a trick though. If you have longer bolts you can start each of them, with the bracket in place, a couple of threads so the bracket hangs down but is ready to bolt in. Then you can slide the accumulator in so the bracket holds it from falling back through the hole while you tighten it up. I was careful to make sure the flex lines won't hit the linkage and ran the front feed line above the accumulator, making a U-turn before clamping it onto the barb.

2) Install new fuel filter. No biggie here.

3) Install DPI feed and return main lines. Easy work here. I found the feed line longer than necessary but that's probably because I have headers and no crossover pipe to contend with. I routed the feed over the transmission and making a gentle loop near the return hard line before it comes up and under to the distributor

4) Removed mixture control unit so I could confirm spark plug wires. Why oh why did I not label the wires on 1, 2, 3 like I did on 4, 5, 6? Well now I am 100% sure which wire is which! At least I didn't have many fuel lines installed yet.

5) Test-fit the injector lines and confirming the correct length for each bank (due to offset on each head).

Still to do tonight - test fit CSV and CPR lines. Once I'm happy with orientation and routing I'll cinch them down as per torque specs in the book.

I'm going to test my injectors tonight so the lines are not tucked in under the intake yet. Once that's done I think I can finally do a fuel pressure test!?!?

PXL_20210803_125453001.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

The strut tower brace makes a HUGE difference in the front end feel through the curves, especially if you are running stiffer suspension.

Attachment 66921
    Is this a Deloreango brace? You are totally happy with it? I was toying with making one, but for two bills, it's hardly worth my time. Is there anything you would re-engineer if you were making it?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Is this a Deloreango brace? You are totally happy with it? I was toying with making one, but for two bills, it's hardly worth my time. Is there anything you would re-engineer if you were making it?
    I bought mine years ago from the original designer. IIRC it was a prototype and not a production brace that DMCMW sold but it's been so long, I can't remember for sure. I'm sure whichever one you get will be fine. They all do the same thing. Personally I like the one design that is flat and does not require the carpet to be cut.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 876 of 920 FirstFirst ... 376 776 826 866 874 875 876 877 878 886 ... LastLast