FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bar Keeper's Friend & Scotch-Brite

My VIN:    10620

Bar Keeper's Friend & Scotch-Brite

Hey, everyone. I'm getting ready to tackle the color difference on my driver door. PO replaced the quarter, so the dullness of the door stands out like a sore thumb.

I'll go at it with BKF and a Scotch-Brite pad. I want to be absolutely sure of something: I use the traditional green one that you can get at Walmart that will mar the snot out of a crappy bathroom counter, correct?

yeah there's definitely some problems 1.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by dmcindiana View Post
    Hey, everyone. I'm getting ready to tackle the color difference on my driver door. PO replaced the quarter, so the dullness of the door stands out like a sore thumb.

I'll go at it with BKF and a Scotch-Brite pad. I want to be absolutely sure of something: I use the traditional green one that you can get at Walmart that will mar the snot out of a crappy bathroom counter, correct?

yeah there's definitely some problems 1.jpg
    The most common pad for the car is the 3M 7446 blending pad, it's more aggressive than the off the shelf. But you can do whatever you want, you'll just have to do the whole car that way.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    2245

The one for the Delorean is a dark grey, also go with the grain. I saw one car where the guy did swirls all over

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Blending pads are a highly subjective matter; having said that, I prefer the grey or purple ones. The green variety doesn't seem to do very much to my eye.

Really like BKF, really gets dirt out, much better than car wash soap.

Besides staying with the grain, be mindful of how much pressure you apply on the blending pad, try to stay consistent over the entire car.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Blending pad sources

Noting both DMC and DeLoreanGo sell 3M blending pads, presumably the correct ones, and the blending pad handles for them. Use those terms in your search at their sites.

Perhaps others sell them, too.

The handle helps even out the pressure against the stainless, something your fingers alone aren't as good at.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I use liquid BKF with green 3M pads w/handle. All purchased from Amazon and at the time got a good price on bulk 3M pads. I have enough for a long time.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10620

Thanks, all. Here's what I'm having trouble with. I'm not really ready to take on anything relating to blending or grain. Just deep cleaning.

Is there a pad you'd recommend that's only for the purpose of working in the BKF, no blending, no regraining, that will still help with the dullness issue?

Or am I completely misunderstanding, and this kind of deep cleaning and blending have to be done as one and the same activity?

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by dmcindiana View Post
    Thanks, all. Here's what I'm having trouble with. I'm not really ready to take on anything relating to blending or grain. Just deep cleaning.

Is there a pad you'd recommend that's only for the purpose of working in the BKF, no blending, no regraining, that will still help with the dullness issue?

Or am I completely misunderstanding, and this kind of deep cleaning and blending have to be done as one and the same activity?
    For a simple deep clean, just BKF and a rag. Blending pads gets light scratches and crud that is deep in the grain out. It's okay to expirament. If you have been a owner long enough, you have been through many different products and things to keep it clean. This is something that cybertruck owners are just finding out. Pure and simple stainless can be a pain to keep clean. I've met many OCD owners and they all have their own thing!

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Same as Dave - when I'm not using 3M pads I use the BKF liquid on a cotton rag on wet panels then rinse.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The color of the pad denotes it's coarseness but there is no standard so different manufacturers use different colors. You want to use the least course pad you can to achieve the desired effect. Too course and you will have to go over it again with a less course pad. Graining is just putting scratches onto the surface. Ideally you want them to be straight and parallel. You do not need any liquid but some owners find it helps. For regraining you start out with 80 # sandpaper and work your way to finer pads. Use masking tape to help keep you lined up and straight. For general cleaning I wash the car using car soap (very mild soap that easily washed off). For spot cleaning I just use Windex or alcohol to remove dirt or fingerprints. If you use a blending pad (Scotch Brite) you will notice the area is "brighter" than the surrounding area. You have removed the surface oxidation so it is shinier. That results in having to do the area next to it and so on until you have done the whole car. Or you can just wait a few days for it to naturally dull down.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast