FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 567 of 920 FirstFirst ... 67 467 517 557 565 566 567 568 569 577 617 667 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 9197

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    16655

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    You do not need to remove the body from the frame to replace the extension. However, the DMC shops do use a jig to hold the new one in perfect alignment during welding as you don't want to be on crooked and screw up your front alignment. Considering it's a critical safety component, it's just as well that you need to replace it considering the original was badly rusted to fail like that.
    Yeah, I've not yet figured out exactly how I'm going to handle keeping everything aligned when I go to put the new one in. There's a decent chance I'll be needing to build some jigs anyway though with everything I'm going to have to fix. Pulling the body will also make the engine and transmission work easier, and if I'm going to try and have the whole frame treated to prevent rust down the line there's obviously no other way...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    another 30 years.
    I haven't really heard from you since DCS'10 -- other than frame rust issues, has the car been behaving itself? (You mention engine work in the other reply).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    10201

My wipers had been blocking my view and I finally adjusted them today. They looked a bit stripped so they might have migrated up over the past year.

My VIN:    16655

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I haven't really heard from you since DCS'10 -- other than frame rust issues, has the car been behaving itself? (You mention engine work in the other reply).

Bill Robertson
    I was a DCS'12 as well, but haven't really been around or doing much with the car (besides driving it) since then. The car has behaved itself reasonably well- unfortunately with other projects I've really not done much on it other than very basic tune-up stuff (fuel filter, plugs, etc.) and a laundry list of things have accumulated that I either should or need to be doing on it that I've been putting off. With this frame issue it's pretty much MADE itself a higher priority so I'm pushing harder to get the other things done that need to be in order to get to it.

The engine (and its carb conversion) has behaved well enough- there was a problem a ways back where it was running WAY rich and causing problems that was eventually tracked down to the fuel pump putting out too much pressure, so adding in a fuel pressure regulator solved that problem. The plan (before the frame extension failed) was to rebuild the carb this spring as well as a more extensive look at the engine, but at the moment I'm much more seriously looking at doing an engine swap while I have the car completely apart. I have a $450 Park Avenue Ultra whose L67 supercharged Buick 3800 engine I'm almost finished with rebuilding (just got the call from the machine shop that the head work is done) should fit quite nicely and would be a considerable improvement in both power and efficiency (assuming I don't mod it too heavily to up the power even more).

I've been running a mechanical fuel pump for a year now with excellent results. I left the electric pump in the tank and ran its power feed through an on/off switch under the kneepad. If the car ever sits for a week or two I energize the electric pump briefly to refill the carb so I don't have to crank and crank and crank until fuel gets to the back of the car, but otherwise it's just a backup in case the mechanical pump diaphragm ever splits.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

changed the oil during my lunch hour.
    Dumped out the Castrol gtx 20w50 even tho its only been 1000mi since I changed it last May (and sampled some to send to blackstone labs).
    Filled it up with Shell Rotella T 15w40 per all the talk in the other oil thread.

bumped a concrete pillar in my tight NYC garage.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post

Ouch
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post

If that was in Florida, you'd have scuffed white paint on your white bumper... just like every single other car in that state it seems, lol. I swear it's like a bit from some stand-up comedy routine about big cars and old drivers... just back up enough 'til you hit something, than start going the other direction.

Pardon the expression... but that looks like it'll buff right out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Bill what's the reasoning for your horns facing sideways?
    Chris

Page 567 of 920 FirstFirst ... 67 467 517 557 565 566 567 568 569 577 617 667 ... LastLast