FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 790 of 920 FirstFirst ... 290 690 740 780 788 789 790 791 792 800 840 890 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,900 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    03572

Ignition rotor

My DeLoreango order got lost in the mail. My neighborhood has had problems with missing packages when a hold mail is requested which I did two weeks ago. So I got a new rotor from Ebay and new cap from DMCH. Funny my Ebay rotor is an OEM one so I guess the seller mistakenly shipped it saying it was a GB332 part.

So it looks like my PO did replace the rotor since the date code on it was "95". No burning signs and the resistor read 5 Kohms like the new one. So I don't think the rotor was the cause of my skipping. Will look over the old cap shortly but a quick look inside had no carbon tracking going on.

OEM part number is 1234332177

Edit:
    Looks like the cap has little tiny water droplets near each terminal. Don't see any tracking so this probably was not the problem. Wonder how the cap keeps dry from condensation.

OEM part number of cap is 1235522210
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 07-16-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Boy that new distributor cap is really tight. Took a lot of pressure to get it to seat. Good thing I pulled the mixture unit to install it.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    16409

Dave, the "93" rotor says Germany and the "95" rotor does not which means it was most likely made in Spain. Which one is the one you just got. Also, you can often Find NOS caps on ebay. I've been stockpiling a bunch of them because Bosch is no longer making them, and I don't trust the repercussions. The cap number is 1235522210
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 07-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Dave, the "93" rotor says Germany and the "95" rotor does not which means it was most likely made in Spain. Which one is the one you just got. Also, you can often Find NOS caps on ebay. I've been stockpiling a bunch of them because Bosch is no longer making them, and I don't trust the repercussions. The cap number is 1235522210
    The 93 is the new one I just got. The 95 was the one that was in my car.

The DMC cap has no part numbers. It does have the cylinder number cast into the plastic.
    Dave M vin 03572

Well still have the engine skip under load. I will install new plugs gaped to stock after the engine cools down.
    Dave M vin 03572

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Well still have the engine skip under load. I will install new plugs gaped to stock after the engine cools down.
    I'm betting hairline crack in the plug porcelain......
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Decided to finally install one of the Autozone Saturn/GM alternators that are recommended by folks here. Took me a sec to figure out how to install it thanks to the weird tensioner bracket setup used by the old AC Delco (I think) alternator which was gigantic. Did not realize the tensioner originally mounted to the engine itself thanks to this. Took the liberty of installing new belts too while I was at it since the old ones were about 10 years old. I have to thank Matt for the stainless mounting bracket and tensioner. They went in perfectly and made installation of the new alternator a breeze.

Now I need to deal with a new issue I discovered. It appears the seal on the radiator cap is compromised and starts leaking once the engine temp gets to around 200F. It seems to stay sealed if the temp is kept lower (aka keeping the fans running or just driving the car). It is mostly an idle engine issue when not running the fans until they auto kick on. Has anyone ever really attempted to fix this? I know DMCH says not to bother as it will likely shatter the radiator. If a new radiator is in order I'll likely do that once I get it to Cali.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Now I need to deal with a new issue I discovered. It appears the seal on the radiator cap is compromised and starts leaking once the engine temp gets to around 200F. It seems to stay sealed if the temp is kept lower (aka keeping the fans running or just driving the car). It is mostly an idle engine issue when not running the fans until they auto kick on. Has anyone ever really attempted to fix this? I know DMCH says not to bother as it will likely shatter the radiator. If a new radiator is in order I'll likely do that once I get it to Cali.
    I think you're reporting failure of the actual radiator cap on the OE-style radiator and not on the "radiator" cap on the header bottle.

No, I have no experience fixing it. A new radiator sounds like the way to go if the current one fails. Best case: you can try replacing just that (small-size) cap after you relocate and hope to avoid the cost/trouble of replacing the radiator.

Til then you probably know you can just drive it with the A/C engaged to keep the rad fans running at all times, minimizing the coolant temps. And you'll frequently check the coolant level until your system is solid again.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Decided to finally install one of the Autozone Saturn/GM alternators that are recommended by folks here. Took me a sec to figure out how to install it thanks to the weird tensioner bracket setup used by the old AC Delco (I think) alternator which was gigantic. Did not realize the tensioner originally mounted to the engine itself thanks to this. Took the liberty of installing new belts too while I was at it since the old ones were about 10 years old. I have to thank Matt for the stainless mounting bracket and tensioner. They went in perfectly and made installation of the new alternator a breeze.
    Let us know how the alternator holds up. It says "re-manufactured in Mexico" that sounds better than China.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Yea its the one on the radiator itself so I intend to do exactly what you mentioned. And yea, even though it is remanufactured it still has the lifetime warranty so I don't mind. I am somewhat curious myself. I'm probably going to take the car for a drive in the mountains this weekend to see how it holds up. If it can handle that slog then it should be good to go.

Page 790 of 920 FirstFirst ... 290 690 740 780 788 789 790 791 792 800 840 890 ... LastLast