FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 750 of 920 FirstFirst ... 250 650 700 740 748 749 750 751 752 760 800 850 ... LastLast
Results 7,491 to 7,500 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    4665

Replaced my alternator with a PJ Grady version. Came with everything I needed, including a perfect fit for easy installation made this a simple one-man job. Added DriveStainless' tensioning bracket which made the final steps a very simple process.

Found everything I needed to learn and prepare for the swap out from this forum, so thank you for sharing.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Well, I finally had the dreaded Orange fuel line failure. I had just left my house this morning headed to the annual Delorean gathering at Deer lake orchard in Buffalo MN. I got 1 mile down the road and the engine shut down. I rolled into a driveway and tried restarting the engine. It fired up on CSV fuel then died. It did that on 3 consecutive attempts. I open the door and get a strong fuel smell. I turn the key to the run position so that the RPM relay primes one second. I look under the car and sure enough fuel is pouring off the frame. I had some tools with me and was able to pull the access panel to observe where the fuel was coming from. Sure enough it was spray out of a crack in the OE style fuel pump cover. I pulled the cover off and found the hose had separated at the banjo fitting.

I managed to clean the barbed fitting and cut the hose back enough to get a clean end. I pushed it back on enough so that I was able to fire it up and drive back home. I went to O’reilly auto parts and picked up some 1/4” Gates Barricade fuel injection hose and clamps. I changed out the old Orange hose. Everything seemed good. So we head out again on our 4 hr trip. However, we didn’t make it 10 miles and the engine intermittently shut down. It started back up and seemed okay, so I headed down the road about a mile to a location I could pull off and do some further investigation and check the usual electrical connections. (Ballast, ECU) The wiggle test didn’t seem to find any ignition faults while the car was idling. I decided to risk it and press on down the road. However, I only made it 2 miles before the engine shutdown again. I tried restarting again and It would fire up with CSV fuel then die. It did that a few times. I pulled the FP access cover. There was no signs of fuel leaking. I wiggled the leads and connector for the fuel pump. I turned the key again too here if the pump would prime, it did. I cranked the engine and it fired right up. I made the decision to abort the the trip and headed back home , fingers crossed. I made it back the 10 miles without issue. But since I wasn’t able to find the definitive cause of failure I opted to cancel the trip. I’ve got some further investigating to do.

The only thing I can think of is that I caused a disturbance in the wires to the pump when replacing the hose or by shear coincidence, I have a failing fuel pump. The pump did not sound any different than it’s normal hum. I guess I’ll need to jumper the RPM relay and see if the pump stops while I do more wiggle tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that I caused a disturbance in the wires to the pump when replacing the hose or by shear coincidence, I have a failing fuel pump. The pump did not sound any different than it’s normal hum. I guess I’ll need to jumper the RPM relay and see if the pump stops while I do more wiggle tests.
    Probably that two pin connector for the fuel pump. I just removed the connector since you can undo the wires at the pump, you really don't need a connector.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Probably that two pin connector for the fuel pump. I just removed the connector since you can undo the wires at the pump, you really don't need a connector.
    That connector is a PITA because their isn’t enough length to pull it out in the open too work on it. How were you able to solder the connection?

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Dennis, this won't be related to your fuel hose replacement, but those engine quitting symptoms you described sound a lot like poor ballast resistor connection issues. While they likely didn't get bumped while you were figuring out the fuel leak, they may have coincidentally wiggled loose one way or another. Worth just looking at them quickly if for no other reason than to rule it out (if you don't read any of the fuel hose leak stuff in your post, but only the part about the engine dying or not starting, and it sounds like resistor connections, to me anyway).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I stated earlier that I did the wiggle test on Ballast wires and ignition ECU while the engine was idling. Neither resulted in any intermittent stumbling. I drove down the road 2 miles and it shutdown again. The engine would fire up on CSV fuel then die. I have too conclude there was enough Accumulator rest pressure to spray fuel via the CSV but not enough to open the injectors. Btw, my CSV fires because I have Dave’s Hot Start Relay, otherwise It wouldn’t under normal conditions. This confirmed it was not an ignition issue.

My best guess is that it probably is the 2 pin connector for the fuel pump. That wiring was the only thing that was disturbed while replacing the hose even though I never disconnect it. One thing I will say is that the wires to the pump from the connector are very stiff. I actually have a replacement harness to refresh those.
    I just don’t know where it is in my collection of Stuff at the moment.

DENNIS

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

deer run

bummer on the Deer Lake run....

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    That connector is a PITA because their isn’t enough length to pull it out in the open too work on it. How were you able to solder the connection?

I think I could pull it enough to crimp on butt spices and then solder.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Replaced the fuel accumulator. Hot start issue is gone

On a side note, I didn’t think it was that difficult at all. I mean, it wasn’t the easiest thing in the world, but it wasn’t nearly as tough as I expected. Took maybe 20 or so minutes remove and the same to install. Was the difficulty overhyped or am I that incredible of a mechanic?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Replaced the fuel accumulator. Hot start issue is gone

On a side note, I didn’t think it was that difficult at all. I mean, it wasn’t the easiest thing in the world, but it wasn’t nearly as tough as I expected. Took maybe 20 or so minutes remove and the same to install. Was the difficulty overhyped or am I that incredible of a mechanic?
    Good to hear... on the accumulator and that the forum is back up

As for overhyped difficulty... I'd love to hear how you replaced yours. What steps you followed or procedure you used or any tricks you used to make it easier? And what tools you used and whether on jack stands or ramps or whatever.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 750 of 920 FirstFirst ... 250 650 700 740 748 749 750 751 752 760 800 850 ... LastLast