FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Today I replaced my door struts and noticed the brackets have a tiny bit of play in them. Lately I have been replacing parts as they break, but I think it would be wise to replace/upgrade this part before it breaks.

As far as I know there are two options. Heninger's retrofit kit (in attached picture) and what Grady is selling. I am not familiar with what Grady has and can't find it on his website.

Obviously, if I do have cracked fiberglass where the stock brackets mount I can still use Heninger's kit without any problems. His product seems like a great idea, but $160 does seem a bit expensive.

I also talked to Hervey and he doesn't sell anything like this. Does anyone have any information about the options? I seem to remember reading something like this on the old forum. Will Grady's still work with cracked fiberglass and is it cheaper?

Heninger's bracket:
    http://deloreannewparts.com/store/page14.html
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

From what I know, The Heninger's can be installed without removing the Qtr panel but Grady's does require the removal of the Qtr panel to install. I believe Grady's costs less.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There are several options - Grady's reinforcement is good if the fiberglass is not too damaged, or you can make basic fiberglass repairs. The t-panel should be removed. The quarter panel doesn't necessarily have to be removed, but it does have to be lifted up quite a bit.

I have not seen Heninger's in person but it appears that it just goes on from above, but it appears that the geometry may be a bit different. Be careful installing it as you could easily drill holes in the headliner and/or create new leaks.

The third ways is to fabricate a much larger version of the Grady part in the event that the fiberglass is extensively damaged. We (and Toby) have done this for cars in the shop but it's never been assembled and sold as a part.

The fourth way is to dig out the fiberglass and do a complete, proper fiberglass repair and use the OEM parts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16409

Steve,

I've installed the strut brackets from Heninger and they have been working fine for me. Much easier to install than the one's from Grady. However, if you are the type that wants a stock look (doubt it since you're running a carb) the Grady would be the way to go. I didn't want to be bothered by having to remove the rear quarter panels. Just my two cents.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3281, 6344

I've installed a set of Rob Grady's brackets before - they work perfectly. You'll need a 1/4"-capable (big) riveter to install them (assuming you're using the rivets, as intended... I've heard of some using two M6 rivnuts in lieu of the rivets, but I thought the rivets would be a lot stronger).

Also, I couldn't see any way to install these without removing the fiberglass infill panels that sit right in the way, as well. I suppose you could "modify" those (drill holes in them) for a workaround, but I didn't want to do that.

Travis

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Steve,

I've installed the strut brackets from Heninger and they have been working fine for me. Much easier to install than the one's from Grady. However, if you are the type that wants a stock look (doubt it since you're running a carb) the Grady would be the way to go. I didn't want to be bothered by having to remove the rear quarter panels. Just my two cents.
    I'm more worried about functionality then staying stock. Does it line up perfectly or is it slightly out of alignment?

Have you experienced any leaks on your headliner since installing Heninger's kit?

I do like saving money, but if Heninger's product is easier to install and lasts longer it might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tgraham View Post
    I've installed a set of Rob Grady's brackets before - they work perfectly. You'll need a 1/4"-capable (big) riveter to install them (assuming you're using the rivets, as intended... I've heard of some using two M6 rivnuts in lieu of the rivets, but I thought the rivets would be a lot stronger).

Also, I couldn't see any way to install these without removing the fiberglass infill panels that sit right in the way, as well. I suppose you could "modify" those (drill holes in them) for a workaround, but I didn't want to do that.

Travis
    Does Grady include installation instructions with his product? I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of his installation document before making my decision.

I just sent an email to Heninger requesting his install document. With his permission, I will publish it in the resources section so everyone can see.

My VIN:    3281, 6344

Does Grady include installation instructions with his product? I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of his installation document before making my decision.
    Not sure, but there's not much to the job:

1) Remove enough of the car to get the old bracket off.
    2) Bolt the new bracket on (center two bolts) and drill two holes into the fiberglass underbody where the outer two bracket holes are
    3) Install the rivets into the outer two holes (The sound of those 1/4" rivets popping is scary, but the fiberglass should hold)
    4) Swap the piston pivot bolt from the old bracket to the new one
    5) Put items from step 1 back into place

It takes far more work to get to the brackets than to actually install them. Also, the two bolts attach to a captive nut (technically a captive bracket with two nuts). You may have to align it with a small pick to get the bolts in.

Travis

My VIN:    06960

I've installed Grady's brackets and agree with everything Travis has said. I didn't have any fiberglass damage though, my problem was a broken weld on the original bracket. I think the hardest part of my job was finding a big enough rivet gun. Didn't even know they made them that big. Drilling out the original rivets for the plastic infill panel was also a pain (part of step 1 in Travis's directions).
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Genrs
    I too installed the strut brackets from Heninger and they have been working excellent for over two years. I believe I was the first or one of the first to install them.

We'll after owning my D for maybe two months my door broke. Yes! the driver side door.

What a pain in the Butt.

I almost got divorced over this.

For over a year and a half to get into or out of the car my wife had to hold the door open for me. “Shoot me”

Did I mention what a pain in the AsX it was.

I called Delorean in Florida over that year and a half at least 5 times to get a price to repair this door. I never got any sort of a price.

What can I say I love those guys down there. Yes my D has been in their shop to prove it. “Shoot me again.”

Anyway to save my marriage I searched the net looking for help or for something better. I have learned the hard way if a part is not an original Delorean part it is always much better.

So I came across Heninger. He had developed a new and improved part.” Did I mention Improved.” “Thank you Lord” So I ordered the set for both doors.

So after maybe a month I received the parts. With Heninger on the phone I replaced the part. Yes what a masterpiece. Why fix the original parts the same sorry way it was built originally when they will probably break again. So off I was to fix the passenger side door that was not broken.

Would I do this again? In a Delorean minute. The only thing I would recommend changing in this part would be to make it out of stainless steel rather than carbon steel. Not that it would be a better part it would be a stainless steel part.

A special thanks to Heninger for saving my marriage.
    I keep mentioning to my wife to go for a ride in the D. No luck there.
    You should see the look on her face when parts come to the door for the D. Oh well that’s another story.

Just another thought in time!
    Ed

OOOPPPSSS Typo

"Gents"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast