FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 684 of 920 FirstFirst ... 184 584 634 674 682 683 684 685 686 694 734 784 ... LastLast
Results 6,831 to 6,840 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I'm pretty sure the black part is bare plastic. You could sand it out yourself.
    Yeah but the grey is all faded so I'm just going to have the body shop do it all for me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I'm pretty sure the black part is bare plastic. You could sand it out yourself.
    The black part is bare urethane but that doesn't mean it hasn't been repaired and painted over in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The black part is bare urethane but that doesn't mean it hasn't been repaired and painted over in the past.
    Well from the condition of my bumpers front and rear I can probably be safe to bet that it's all the original paint.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Well from the condition of my bumpers front and rear I can probably be safe to bet that it's all the original paint.

What he was saying is the only part of the fascias that were painted was the gray section, the black sections are supposed to be unpainted bare urethane. If there is black paint flaking away, then it's not factory paint(on the black part at least)

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What he was saying is the only part of the fascias that were painted was the gray section, the black sections are supposed to be unpainted bare urethane. If there is black paint flaking away, then it's not factory paint(on the black part at least)
    http://support.delorean.com/kb/a80/p...r-fascias.aspx

Last paragraph in the KB article explains the bare urethane/lack of paint on the black portions.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10201

Michael, I see your point. Looked more like a smudge to me.

Disassembley time....
    -VOD clean up
    -Fix vacuum leaks
    -silicone hoses
    -and other stuff while in there...

Let the fun begin...

Engine View.jpg

Also while under the fuel tank closing plate I saw a few signatures...I know Danny B he's the one that did the work on my car in CA and swapped the frame anyone know who Gil Kennedy is???

Frame View.jpg

Michael, I see your point. Looked more like a smudge to me.
    I see the part you're talking about and it's been on the car for the last 13 years of the end it so it probably happened when it was out in California prior to me buying it.

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Plastidipped 2 of rims...

https://www.dmc10515.com/plasti-dipping-delorean-rims/

When I first bought #10515, one of the four rims had been replaced by the original owner because it had been damaged. But, the replacement rim was a grey rim, not silver like the other three. That’s been bugging me for a long time. That, combined with the paint starting to chip on a couple of the rims, got me thinking about replacing the rims. But, at $200+ for each rim, I’m not excited about that.
    So I got to thinking about Plasti Dip – the rubberized spray paint. People have painted $200,000 cars with Plasti Dip. Click the photo to the right to see a bunch of examples, then watch the video to see how easy it is to do the rims.

Plasti Dip is pretty inexpensive, and is ‘easily’ reversible. It withstands hand-washing, comes in tons of colors and treatments, and seems to be a ‘miracle paint.’ So, I figured I’d take a chance and see how it worked on the DeLorean. I thought flat-black would go well, matching the bumpers. (Although I *REALLY* like the machined rims that Toby Petersen is doing in Seattle!) You might ask, “What does ‘easily reversible’ mean?” Well, it appears that Plasti Dipcomes off by either peeling it off by hand, or by a high-pressure sprayer, or if it’s being stubborn, to spray the paint with Goof Off, then hit it with the pressure washer. Again, people have sprayed entire cars worth hundreds-of-thousands of dollars – so I figured it’s unlikely to do any damage to the aluminum rims of a DeLorean. So, I headed to Walmart and got 2 cans for $4.55 each.

How I Did It

Unlike the numerous other videos of people painting their rims, the biggest issue with the DeLorean rims is the fins. There are 45 fins and they’re pretty close together. And, when painting anything, the surface needs to be *CLEAN*! DeLorean rims are notoriously hard to keep clean. So, I decided to take the wheel off the car and take it to the back yard to clean it as good as possible. I used the pressure washer (and got soaked trying to get in between all the fins!) and a couple of brushes. Then I used a rag and my pinky finger to get between every fin. Then I pressure washed it again. I don’t think I could have gotten it any cleaner. I used an air hose to blow out any excess water and let it dry in the sun until it was a bone-dry.

Again, with the fins being so close together, I knew it would be difficult to get good spray coverage. So, I came up with the idea of putting the wheel on an IKEA lazy susan (Snudda) so I could spin the wheel and cover everything evenly. I covered the lazy susan with paper towels, then put it on top of a box I covered with a trash bag. Once I got the wheel centered so it would spin easily, I was ready to go. And it worked better than I’d hoped!

Even though I watched a lot of videos, I thought I would mask-off the tire, just to make it easier to clean the tire from the overspray. Yeah… Nothing I tried would stick to the tires! So I just trusted the videos. One of the things I learned from the videos, is that you want to do a few very light coats, to allow the paint to ‘bond’ to the surface. Which gives later coats something to stick to. Again, it worked perfectly. I ultimately did 6 coats (about 1/2 of 1 can), waiting 25 minutes between each coat. And the next day, just like in the videos, the overspray on the tires came off as easy as sliding an egg out of a teflon-coated pan! Then it was just a matter of spraying some tire cleaner on a rag and wiping off the remnant from the tire.
    I’m going to do this to the other three rims before DeLorean Weekend, to see how well it holds up over the next 3 weeks, and the drive to Vegas. If it looks awful, I’ll take more pics and show it – then I’ll stop by a self-service car wash and do some cleaning. If it looks good, I’ll add more photos to this post as an ‘update’, to show how it’s held up over time. If it does hold up, I hope it inspires other DeLorean owners to give it a try. And if you’re thinking “I don’t like flat black”, maybe you’d like ‘Blaze Orange’ with a Metalizer finish

and...

disasseblmed, cleaned and lubed the shifter mechanism.

Shiofter parts.jpgShifter Installed.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_SS_TT View Post
    Disassembley time....
    -VOD clean up
    -Fix vacuum leaks
    -silicone hoses
    -and other stuff while in there...

Let the fun begin...

Engine View.jpg

Also while under the fuel tank closing plate I saw a few signatures...I know Danny B he's the one that did the work on my car in CA and swapped the frame anyone know who Gil Kennedy is???

Frame View.jpg

Page 684 of 920 FirstFirst ... 184 584 634 674 682 683 684 685 686 694 734 784 ... LastLast