FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 731 of 920 FirstFirst ... 231 631 681 721 729 730 731 732 733 741 781 831 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,310 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Interesting relay set up. I do think if you install 200 watt fans the double relay is a good idea. Do you find your engine overheating with your present fans?
    I had DMCEU fans on a stock shroud, and I began overheating with the higher ambient temps. As a result, I found that 1985-1992 Golf fans push significantly more air, but at a cost of 200w.

Did you move the hot start relay socket from the back to the front of your relay compartment?
    Yeah, I deleted the pesky thermotime switch and moved the hot start relay into a more permanent position. Car starts every time now.

What rear defog timer are you using? The stock unit is green.
    While I was rewiring much of the car for the cluster, I decided to use a momentary switch setup for the defog.

I used this timer:
    http://www.euramtec.com/parts/b/b01/73922312.html

Coupled with this switch:
    http://www.euramtec.com/parts/a/a07/1304m.html
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I had DMCEU fans on a stock shroud, and I began overheating with the higher ambient temps. As a result, I found that 1985-1992 Golf fans push significantly more air, but at a cost of 200w.
    Were those the 3.5 amp fans?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Early

Were those the 3.5 amp fans?
    I think so. They really weren't adequate for the Texas heat.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10201

Brew came and helped me take the intake off so I could change out the water pump hoses. Since I was there I figured I'd just replace the water pump. while taking apart the old one, I found my thermostat like this. Unnecessarily changing a part to prevent future problems lead me to find an actual one.

20180512_121220.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Brew came and helped me take the intake off so I could change out the water pump hoses. Since I was there I figured I'd just replace the water pump. while taking apart the old one, I found my thermostat like this. Unnecessarily changing a part to prevent future problems lead me to find an actual one.

20180512_121220.jpg

Don't forget to drill a 1/8 or 3/16" hole in the new thermostat before installing to help with getting air out of system. Can even drill two holes if you want.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This morning I sprayed the face sides of the infill panels to match the rest of the work in my luggage compartment. I used SEM Trim Black.

I masked off the underside of each panel using tape and brown paper and lightly rubbed each panel with a 3M Scotch-Brite Ultra Fine Pad. Before painting I used SEM Soap and prepped with SEM Prep and SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter. I hung them from slightly angled cardboard and affixed them by using super strong tape - affixed to the reverse of the panel and then twisted to affix to the cardboard.

For the fuel filler infill panel I also applied a brand new upper seal (the bottom seal is no-longer available). It’ll squish in perfectly once I bolt it back on. Before painting the panel I used a medium rasp to open some of the screw holes to ensure a perfect fit. Interestingly, someone in the DeLorean factory clearly couldn’t be bothered opening some of the holes up and instead filled them with black silicone. Fixed now.

I’m going to order a new seal for the fuel pump panel and brake fluid panel this week.

Of course, the metal of the spare wheel is going to wreck havoc on that new paint so I got a custom cut piece of circular wood from a local hardware store (18” diameter) and used it as a template to cut a perfect circle from a nice piece of Home Depot’s thin grey carpet - that closely matches the texture of the hood carpets.

The results look really nice. Super smooth and non-patchy.

DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Replaced the rusty louvre bracket fasteners with not-rusty ones. Instead of split washer + flat washer, which is what I removed, I opted for a lower-profile flange bolt. (Black oxide finish to resist corrosion.)

louvre bracket new fasteners.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6125

I finally got my car out of storage for spring...these past few years has been getting later and later it seems.

I keep a spreadsheet with service history and mileage log... I found that I only put 883 miles on the car last year. Hopefully I get a chance to drive it more this summer.

My VIN:    2065

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    This morning I sprayed the face sides of the infill panels to match the rest of the work in my luggage compartment. I used SEM Trim Black.

I masked off the underside of each panel using tape and brown paper and lightly rubbed each panel with a 3M Scotch-Brite Ultra Fine Pad. Before painting I used SEM Soap and prepped with SEM Prep and SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter. I hung them from slightly angled cardboard and affixed them by using super strong tape - affixed to the reverse of the panel and then twisted to affix to the cardboard.

For the fuel filler infill panel I also applied a brand new upper seal (the bottom seal is no-longer available). It’ll squish in perfectly once I bolt it back on. Before painting the panel I used a medium rasp to open some of the screw holes to ensure a perfect fit. Interestingly, someone in the DeLorean factory clearly couldn’t be bothered opening some of the holes up and instead filled them with black silicone. Fixed now.

I’m going to order a new seal for the fuel pump panel and brake fluid panel this week.

Of course, the metal of the spare wheel is going to wreck havoc on that new paint so I got a custom cut piece of circular wood from a local hardware store (18” diameter) and used it as a template to cut a perfect circle from a nice piece of Home Depot’s thin grey carpet - that closely matches the texture of the hood carpets.

The results look really nice. Super smooth and non-patchy.
    Looks great, nice work

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I spent 3+ hours tonight going through the Millennium Concours judging manual to appraise my car (to the best of my understanding) after almost 2 years of sweating the details since I purchased it from Ben (Soundkillr on DMCTalk) in 2016.

I lost points to things like recovered headliner material not having the accurate grain, a small crack in my ash tray outer rim (also missing inside clip), no hood seal (I chose not to install it for cosmetic reasons), silicone hoses instead of rubber, new non-original compressor and alternator, stainless clutch lines, a small crack on my windshield (bottom LH right), early 00s repainted facias (by previous owner) being glossy instead of matte and an 82 muffler (instead of 81) and a bunch of other small details.

Losing points for things like non-original batteries, struts, oil filters, belt brands, tires and LED bulbs are kinda funny for those of us that actually drive our cars, but I totally appreciate that Concours is all about accuracy.

I’ve been on a mission to achieve near-Concours condition and accuracy but with the benefit of all modern updates being completed to make it a safe, drivable car. The best of both worlds.

As always, there’s a bunch of things to improve here and there, but it’s SO much fun.

Raising a glass to those of you who adore their DeLoreans and love sweating the details.

It's a fun and sobering experience. Here's the link to the website if anyone else wants to put themselves through it…

http://www.deloreanmarquecertification.com

Cheers!

PS. A huge tip of the hat to James Espey and everyone who dedicated their time and energy to create the manual.

Last edited by Col Bennett; 05-17-2018 at 02:04 AM.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Page 731 of 920 FirstFirst ... 231 631 681 721 729 730 731 732 733 741 781 831 ... LastLast