FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 403 of 920 FirstFirst ... 303 353 393 401 402 403 404 405 413 453 503 903 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 9196

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

After a hiatus to replace some parts on my grocery getter, and changing the oil on another car, I finally got to the sway bar on the D. I stripped, sanded, and primed it today. There was a fair amount of surface rust underneath the paint. Next is satin black top coat, and a small frame touch up underneath the clutch master cylinder. Thanks to some awesome posts on the recommended frame paint, I chose POR15 Gray, and Rustoleum Smoke Gray for that job. Incidentally, I asked DMCH about getting some original epoxy, and while they don't have it any more, they also suggested POR15 as an alternative.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Bled the brakes last night. Better now. Will need new pads in the near future I think.

well seems the drain from the evaporator is clogged up. the passenger floor carpet was soaked.

Do i really have to take the front right tire off to get to the drain hose? I couldn't see it near the fuel pump and tank. also couldn't see it by the front right tire.

My VIN:    4307

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    well seems the drain from the evaporator is clogged up. the passenger floor carpet was soaked.

Do i really have to take the front right tire off to get to the drain hose? I couldn't see it near the fuel pump and tank. also couldn't see it by the front right tire.
    See my post for a picture of the evaporator drain tube. You'll need to take the passenger front tire off to get your body in there, the tube is quite short located behind the fuel pump when you are looking directly into the passenger wheel well. I stuck a piece of 5/8" hose around the evaporator tube and used a shop-vac on the other end, once it was unplugged it drained quite a bit of water.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post151804

Quote Originally Posted by ifelder View Post
    See my post for a picture of the evaporator drain tube. You'll need to take the passenger front tire off to get your body in there, the tube is quite short located behind the fuel pump when you are looking directly into the passenger wheel well. I stuck a piece of 5/8" hose around the evaporator tube and used a shop-vac on the other end, once it was unplugged it drained quite a bit of water.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post151804
    Thanks I was trying to see if this could be done without taking the wheel off. since i live in manhattan i dont' have a driveway to work in. This would be a trip to the autoshop if i have to take the wheel off.

My VIN:    4307

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Thanks I was trying to see if this could be done without taking the wheel off. since i live in manhattan i dont' have a driveway to work in. This would be a trip to the autoshop if i have to take the wheel off.
    You can't change a tire parked on the street? Would you tow your car to a shop if you got a flat, or pop the spare on? If you've got all the tools you need, you should be able to remove the tire, clear the plug, and get the tire back on within an hour. If you can't do it on the street in manhattan, go drive out of the city and do it in a parking lot.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Pulled off my right tire to check yet again if there was any way to see my A/C drain hose. There's not. I have no idea what to do about that.

Despite being told it wouldn't help me locate the hose (it didn't) I removed my fuel tank closing plate too. This is one of only about 15 parts that I haven't removed from my car before. I knew it had some obvious epoxy damage from a brake master leak at some point in the past....

Here's what it looked like just as I removed it. Pretty ugly compared to the rest of my frame, but all things considered not that bad.

Here it is after just peeling up any loose epoxy

After a few minutes with a scraper....

After hitting it with a razor blade and a wire brush

And finally with some degreaser. I think the plate is definitely saveable, so we'll have to have a POR-15 tech day at some point, since I know Clint needs to do his as well and there's no sense in doing the same job twice by ourselves!

The worst part was reinstalling the plate when I was done. I invented some great and juvenile new swear words, then realized my life would be a lot easier if I brought the floor jack under the car with me to hold the plate up while I bolted it down. Then it took all of 5 minutes. Sigh.

After that, went for a drive. Cold start issue again, jiggling the CSV plug got it going. I really need to put a new pigtail on. Other than that, drove like a dream. And the A/C drain hose remains my Moby D(MC)ick.
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I think the plate is definitely saveable, so we'll have to have a POR-15 tech day at some point, since I know Clint needs to do his as well and there's no sense in doing the same job twice by ourselves!
    Yikes! If your car's plate looks like that, I can only imagine what mine must look like. If there is going to be POR-15 tech day I might have to get in on it (assuming I have similar issues). Maybe we all pitch in on a large can and have a plate day.
    David Proehl

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Yikes! If your car's plate looks like that, I can only imagine what mine must look like. If there is going to be POR-15 tech day I might have to get in on it (assuming I have similar issues). Maybe we all pitch in on a large can and have a plate day.
    Great idea I'm going to leave it to Clint to decide how we should coordinate that, since we are all bound to have light frame damage underneath the plate too - so we'll need to clean and prep and paint that area too. I don't know how long these paints take to cure etc so we will need the expert. The good news is that prepping the area was really easy. If it wasn't so freaking hot out it would have been a piece of cake. You're looking at under an hour's worth of work, R&R not included.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05287

Mine looks quite a bit worse then that.. its on 'the list' of things to clean up...

We do need to do some techdays. Still slacking on my end for cleanup otherwise I would offer my place...

Page 403 of 920 FirstFirst ... 303 353 393 401 402 403 404 405 413 453 503 903 ... LastLast