FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 727 of 920 FirstFirst ... 227 627 677 717 725 726 727 728 729 737 777 827 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,270 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I love me some dark wheels. I like my silver too but dark wheels give it a completely different(and equally awesome) look.
    I've always loved the early dark wheels.
    I was able to get them powered coated at a local shop, the end result looks pretty close to the original paint.
    Edit: picture the day I picked them up and hosed some of the dust off, loved the fresh power coat.
    IMG_1977.jpg
    (I spent a few hours with the Search feature looking at past threads and what people said about power coating and color, very useful info before pulling the trigger!)
    Last edited by mrpeterman; 04-23-2018 at 09:09 PM.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Opened the trunk and these fell out of the right fender. LOL

fendershims.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    11749

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeterman View Post
    (I spent a few hours with the Search feature looking at past threads and what people said about powder coating and color, very useful info before pulling the trigger!)
    I have a set of original dark wheels and while they're pretty darn good, I can see the day when I'll need to do the same refresh/powder coat exercise you did. At the cost of coming across lazy (guilty!), any chance you could share here, or via PM, what color mix you ended going with? If not, understood...had to try...
    -Rob
    #11749, '65 Vette, '65 'Stang

My VIN:    Early

Noticed throttle was hard to push so I dismantled the throttle spool to lube the cable. Upon reinstall of the spool, I dropped the c-clip into the VOD.

But after a trip to Home Depot, all was set until I fed the old throttle cable through the nut. The cable was frayed, so when it pushed through, it completely unwound itself.

So now I have to drive across town tomorrow to buy a new cable at DMCH.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

So now I have to drive across town tomorrow to buy a new cable at DMCH.
    #livesclosetoavendorproblems

My VIN:    Between VINs

When I moved from Wisconsin to Pittsburgh I was annoyed that I was going from being about 4 hours from DMCMW to about 9 hours away. Then I realized DPI is about an hour and a half away.

My VIN:    5625

Talk about being annoyed that you are not around a DMC location. Try living in Alaska. Every friggen time I make an order, just as soon as they send it out I realize I had forgot something.....
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It's been a busy week in-between new dad duties.

I finally got around to perfecting the luggage compartment in my car. It's always looked really nice, but the perfectionist in me wanted to give it a little love. As always, the devil is in the details. A full day of prep and masking and 10 minutes of painstaking paint work and she looks perfect. For me, it's all about originality but at the same time I want to improve and fix up visual elements and inconsistencies when and where I can in a tasteful way.

Some notes from the work:

— I used two cans of SEM Trim Black. It's great stuff but but it needs meticulously controlled to get the best results. You need to spray in +70 degree heat to avoid patchiness (from tests). I also reduced the flash time down to 30 seconds between coats instead of the recommended 3-5 min on the can. Leaving it too long creates visible layers between coats. You need to keep the flash time short in high heats to allow each coat to bond with the last before it dries. This gives a really nice even finish. You also need to spray continually 6-9 inches from the surface to make sure it doesn’t get saturated in paint. It gets far too shiny otherwise. The key is multiple light coats for a nice even matte finish.

— I tried to remove all of the messy rubber sealant around the brake fluid, fuel tank and fuel filler infill panels before painting. Whoever applied this stuff in the factory/service centers really tried to make it look as messy and unsightly as possible. Now that it's gone, it looks much nicer. I'm also cleaning up the infill panels themselves, removing sealant and fixing the shoddy alignment of the gaskets.

— Brand new stickers to complete the look.

— Cleaned up the gas strut brackets.

Pics…

DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I also got time this week to refinish the fibreglass paint on my very rare NOS 81 grooved hood.

After a LOT of searching worldwide, I managed to source the hood from a retired body shop owner south of LA. He's had it in storage (vertically) for 20-30 years. The stainless is absolutely flawless and is a perfect replacement for the near-perfect hood that came with the car. Sadly that hood had a dent that was unrepairable by Chris Nicholson. (I know, nuts!)

The original paint on the NOS hood was nice, but 30 years of storage had caused some light scuffs. All I need to do now is affix the new carpets and she's perfect.

I just love that hand-written date so I may keep that carpeted portion removable.

Oh the things we do for the cars we love in the pursuit of perfection.

Pics…

DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    4665

Stunning! Very nice work.

Page 727 of 920 FirstFirst ... 227 627 677 717 725 726 727 728 729 737 777 827 ... LastLast