FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 408 of 920 FirstFirst ... 308 358 398 406 407 408 409 410 418 458 508 908 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 9197

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    3519

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    been there, had to do both my doors. not fun.
    I was able to get this thing fairly lined up on the first try. Much like the torsion bar adjustment procedure, changing out doors isn't as hard as it is made out to be.

I found the trick for removing the door to be to undo the gas strut and over extend the door in it's open position as much as possible to unload the torsion bar. This makes things with the torsion bar bracket procedure much less scary.

After I had the door removed. It was just a matter of moving all the guts from one to the other. that was not fun at all, and took most of my time. Fishing the wiring harness was tricky too. I had to thread a pice of stiff twine through the door from top to bottom to fish the harness back through it's channel. This requires removal of the large connectors from the harness. I did take reference pics of that so I could get it re-assembled after running the cables. I actually need to remove the door once more to finish the wiring job. I forgot to pop rivet the rubber sleeve back onto the door before putting it back on the car. I'll make sure to take pictures the second time.

The locks are finnicky now. I think because i had to break the retaining clip for my old style locks. I tried to be careful, but it just wasn't happening. now the lock sits loose and doesn't quite work right. I need to order new locks now.

i'll need to re align the door to get it to close nicely, and then line the panels up to that. It' really not bad, just heavy and time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by ifelder View Post
    Did you apply air pressure from the evaporator side? My evaporator drain connection is still intact and I am trying to avoid breaking it. I figure it's not the best idea to apply air pressure 'up-stream' since whatever solids might be blocking the drain would eventually make it back down into the tube, unless I disconnect the evaporator side.
    how do i disconnect the evaporator side?

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Decided to sell it. I'm looking at moving and am in the process of getting down to one car (daily driver/hobby car). The DeLorean was great and I'm sure that in some ways I'll regret selling it. Boohoo - first-world problem.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Decided to sell it. I'm looking at moving and am in the process of getting down to one car (daily driver/hobby car). The DeLorean was great and I'm sure that in some ways I'll regret selling it. Boohoo - first-world problem.
    Bummer! Really sad to hear it. I still remember all your posts as you searched for and finally got the car. I'm sure you know what's best for you and know you'll find a good home for it.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    4307

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    how do i disconnect the evaporator side?
    I'm pretty sure you have to cut the tube. I don't want to do that because the tube is only about 1" long between the frame and the evaporator. Then I'd have t come up with some way to patch it, which would probably lead to more leaks!

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Today I reinstalled the inertia switch and wiring harness that had been removed about 25 years ago by a PO. I agree that this job was a little overdue, but you know what they say:

"I said i'd do it, you don't have to remind me every 5 years"
    Rob van der Veer

My mods? DeClock, keyless entry, Alpine audio setup, and much more.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I'm pretty sure you have to cut the tube. I don't want to do that because the tube is only about 1" long between the frame and the evaporator. Then I'd have t come up with some way to patch it, which would probably lead to more leaks!
    You may find this useful

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ator-Box-Drain

My VIN:    3305

Re-installed the rear license plate lights... man what a PITA! How can someone design something like that?!?

There is the light housing, then the rear fascia and then the thread is located in some sort of bracket that is free to move along the inner fascia, so to screw everything back on you have to be sure that the bracket is perfectly aligned with the two holes, and if it's not the screw will turn in vain, and the bracket just won't stay because it's a kind of a dancing bracket and it goes everywhere but where it has to stay, and you swear until you find the right alignment but just a little movement - inserting the screw for example - mess it up again and more profanities are born...

In the end you must screw in one of them with out the lights housing, screw up the other one with the lights and then go for the other one which is more firm. MAN what a painful 45 minutes!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Heat it up with a hair dryer and you can collapse it and bend it out of the way. Carefully as you don't want to break the outlet off the case.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Re-installed the rear license plate lights... man what a PITA! How can someone design something like that?!?

There is the light housing, then the rear fascia and then the thread is located in some sort of bracket that is free to move along the inner fascia, so to screw everything back on you have to be sure that the bracket is perfectly aligned with the two holes, and if it's not the screw will turn in vain, and the bracket just won't stay because it's a kind of a dancing bracket and it goes everywhere but where it has to stay, and you swear until you find the right alignment but just a little movement - inserting the screw for example - mess it up again and more profanities are born...

In the end you must screw in one of them with out the lights housing, screw up the other one with the lights and then go for the other one which is more firm. MAN what a painful 45 minutes!
    It's easier with the tail light assemblies removed, then you can get your whole hand in there to hold the metal plate in place!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Page 408 of 920 FirstFirst ... 308 358 398 406 407 408 409 410 418 458 508 908 ... LastLast