FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 186 of 920 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 184 185 186 187 188 196 236 286 686 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Trans

Today I pulled my trans. It took 2.5 hrs, Much faster than the first time
    Attached Images
    5*9*

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by DMCflux View Post
    Today I pulled my trans. It took 2.5 hrs, Much faster than the first time
    Thats a clean frame!

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    Thats a clean frame!
    Thanks. It wasn't bad to begin with, but I did have to use some por 15 in areas and then went over sections with rustoleum grey.
    5*9*

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Put in some wire mesh under the windshield cowl to keep crap out of the airbox. It's pretty remarkable that this wasn't thought of in the original design considering how huge the opening is!

It was a pretty easy job if you can find the right material. I ended up with an inexpensive aluminum grill meant for ventilation that I cut the frame off of, trimmed to size and glued down with some RTV. The grill cost $3.13 at Lowe's. With the cowl reinstalled the job is invisible.

Total crap pictures, sorry...
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Worked on my VOD project that I started with the Great help from Clint, John, David, Charlie and Ryan. Ground down the casting slag on the intake and horn. Plus just general clean-up. Ceramic coated them and other items.....It's going to look great when it's all back together. Also thinking of painting the valve covers a wrinkle RED. With RED spark plug wires. Has anyone done this? I've looked for pics but can't find any that are like that. May be the first!!!!!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dmc3130; 02-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Put in some wire mesh under the windshield cowl to keep crap out of the airbox. It's pretty remarkable that this wasn't thought of in the original design considering how huge the opening is!

It was a pretty easy job if you can find the right material. I ended up with an inexpensive aluminum grill meant for ventilation that I cut the frame off of, trimmed to size and glued down with some RTV. The grill cost $3.13 at Lowe's. With the cowl reinstalled the job is invisible.

I think I may have this porblem as during downpours or washing the car, I get a trickle of water dripping onto the passenger floor. Someone recommended I check out the airbox as the drain may be clogged. I can acess through the fuelpump cowling can't I? I was also told to stick my hand up towards the windscreen and there's like a hole at the bottom of the box or something?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    I think I may have this porblem as during downpours or washing the car, I get a trickle of water dripping onto the passenger floor. Someone recommended I check out the airbox as the drain may be clogged. I can acess through the fuelpump cowling can't I? I was also told to stick my hand up towards the windscreen and there's like a hole at the bottom of the box or something?
    You can see the hole they were talking about in my photos, it's the large semi-trapezoidal cutout under the windshield that I put the mesh over. Unfortunately no, you can't access the inside of the airbox from the access panels - the best you can really do is to drop the blower fan and try to clean it out from inside. If the drain itself is clogged that's another whole story - some folks have had luck with a fishtape, drain snake, compressed air, or even cutting the drain pipe leading down from the airbox through the body. A really crap job - I was lucky and just had a few dry twigs in mine which is why I decided to install this before it got bad. But I helped Clint clean his out on 1768 and it was literally a compost heap inside. Packed solid with decayed black goo.
    Last edited by jawn101; 02-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

You can see the hole they were talking about in my photos, it's the large semi-trapezoidal cutout under the windshield that I put the mesh over. Unfortunately no, you can't access the inside of the airbox from the access panels - the best you can really do is to drop the blower fan and try to clean it out from inside. If the drain itself is clogged that's another whole story - some folks have had luck with a fishtape, drain snake, compressed air, or even cutting the drain pipe leading down from the airbox through the body. A really crap job - I was lucky and just had a few dry twigs in mine which is why I decided to install this before it got bad. But I helped Clint clean his out on 1768 and it was literally a compost heap inside. Packed solid with decayed black goo.
    Ah! Yes, I see the hole pointing towards the quarter panel. No way in getting access even from the front passenger wheel well?

Sounds like a fun job to do soon.

My VIN:    3299

Here's where I am as of lastnight:

150701_10151355843263710_1213713245_n.jpg

My description per the FB photo description:

The Y-coolant pipe is completely installed.

The water return pipe is completely installed.

The O-ring seal underneath the idle pulley bracket is completely installed.

The water pump is completely installed - all 3 mounting holes tapped with a M8 tap to clean the threads.

All 3 bolts for the waterpump and all 4 bolts for the Y-coolant pipe were literally completely covered in anti-seize when they were re-installed.

Thermostat and thermostat housing is re-installed.

New brass bleeder valve behind the water return pipe has been installed along with some new hoses that run to that brass bleeder valve.

All the hoses to the waterpump are re-installed.

So next time, the intake manifold goes back on. Should be able to get the cold start valve re-installed, idle speed motor back in place, reattach all vacuum lines, re-crimp all ground wires that need it, re-anchor all electrical connections. re-install fuel mixture unit with fuel distributor back on, re-install idle microswitch, re-install throttle spool, connect all the fuel lines back in place, put air filter box back on, install the other side of the water return hose to the aluminum coolant pipe, hook the battery up, turn the key and smile hearing the DeLorean come back to life.

Lil' by lil', the engine is starting to take shape again (: !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That is an awesome idea. I wish I had though of it when I had mine opened. I'll put it on my to do list.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 186 of 920 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 184 185 186 187 188 196 236 286 686 ... LastLast