FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 278 of 920 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 378 778 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Glad I've got that 170 speedo...that way I don't have to worry about pegging the speedo.
    Yeah, I have to rely on a GPS for speeds above 85.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Glad I've got that 170 speedo...that way I don't have to worry about pegging the speedo.
    Something I've always wondered - is there anything mechanically "bad" about pegging these speedos? I've worked a lot with tiny gear trains in my other hobby (repairing vintage watches) and know that these things can be touchy. What happens if you get to 90 with the OEM speedo? Is it going to grind anything internally?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Something I've always wondered - is there anything mechanically "bad" about pegging these speedos? I've worked a lot with tiny gear trains in my other hobby (repairing vintage watches) and know that these things can be touchy. What happens if you get to 90 with the OEM speedo? Is it going to grind anything internally?
    There are a good many reports on the DML of the speedo getting stuck when pegged, which is why I've never run my car beyond 85mph.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    There are a good many reports on the DML of the speedo getting stuck when pegged, which is why I've never run my car beyond 85mph.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/bill203.shtml

The 50 over law in Ontario is a good enough reason for me. Most highways in rural areas are 80 kmph zones and the major divided highways are 100 kmph. 50 over would be at 130 kmph and 150 kmph... which is about 81 mph and 93 mph. I'll pass on the impounded car for 1 week, immediate license suspension and $10,000 fine, thanks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    That makes no sense. Have some reference links?

The speedometer needle is magnetically driven. There is nothing to clash if the needle is pegged. The only thing which could happen, and this extremely remote, is a loss of needle calibration if it slides on the shaft due to the torque from the drive mechanism.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    06960

And just to add to that...

I've twice had my car going 125mph. No problems with the speedometer due to the speed.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    1768

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    is there anything mechanically "bad" about pegging these speedos? ... Is it going to grind anything internally?

No it wont hurt the needle or anything like that, the needle is turned with a spinning magnet so there are no real gears to grind or any physical connection that can bind up, the odometer is all gear reduction and could be damaged but only if there was already a cracked gear or lack of grease. The cable it self could bind but only if it instantly ran out of lubrication too.

The difference between a 85 mph speedo and a 140 mph speedo is merely the strength of the needle return spring which the rotating magnet has to spin faster to over come, the odometer and gearing is the same and a pretty standard design across hundreds of car models.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    That makes no sense. Have some reference links?

The speedometer needle is magnetically driven. There is nothing to clash if the needle is pegged. The only thing which could happen, and this extremely remote, is a loss of needle calibration if it slides on the shaft due to the torque from the drive mechanism.
    Never said it was right - just something that I had previously read over a decade ago. While I searched the DML, I couldn't find anything regarding this, however, am certain that I read it somewhere a long time ago. I just can't find it now. As the DeLorean gauge cluster uses a GM design, I believe that the 'myth' predicated from the fact that some GM speedo's of that era were known to get stuck when pegged, which is easy enough to verify by doing a simple Google search. Apparently, GM was using multiple designs at the time, however, the DeLorean was not fitted with a design known to exhibit this problem. It would appear that the problematic designs were early electronic designs, and not mechanical.

Accordingly, I stand corrected.

My VIN:    4534

I retimed her. Driving yesterday there was a noticeable lack of power and sputtering. I guess I'm just dumb and didn't tighten down the nut all the way. Some how she worked her way down to 8 degrees. I made sure to tighten it down after I set her back. I don't want to go through that again and if I do I'm going to buy a longer wrench.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    No it wont hurt the needle or anything like that, the needle is turned with a spinning magnet so there are no real gears to grind or any physical connection that can bind up, the odometer is all gear reduction and could be damaged but only if there was already a cracked gear or lack of grease. The cable it self could bind but only if it instantly ran out of lubrication too.

The difference between a 85 mph speedo and a 140 mph speedo is merely the strength of the needle return spring which the rotating magnet has to spin faster to over come, the odometer and gearing is the same and a pretty standard design across hundreds of car models.
    Cool man, thanks! Never taken a speedo apart before. If you remember that pocket watch I gave you that only lasted 5 minutes, you'll see that my "repair" skills are quite limited.... - but the concepts are there.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 278 of 920 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 378 778 ... LastLast