FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 350 of 920 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340 348 349 350 351 352 360 400 450 850 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Which cleaner did he recommend? And which Scotchbrite pad did you use?
    Diversey Inc.'s Deep Gloss Stainless Steel Maintainer

I used both Scotch Brite grits from Lowe's that everyone recommends (can't find the number ATM.)

My VIN:    16882.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Diversey Inc.'s Deep Gloss Stainless Steel Maintainer

I used both Scotch Brite grits from Lowe's that everyone recommends (can't find the number ATM.)
    I wasn't aware that there are two that everyone recommends, this is good info. What color are they? Maybe I can figure it out from that. Thanks. BTW, I bought this pad, but I'm thinking it's probably not the right one?

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    I wasn't aware that there are two that everyone recommends, this is good info. What color are they? Maybe I can figure it out from that. Thanks. BTW, I bought this pad, but I'm thinking it's probably not the right one?

Post #2 in this thread shows the two I've been using: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?53...=blending+pads

I'm a new owner, so I followed the advice of the experienced guys.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

2691 status

Finished complete brake job, had seats covered with DMCTEX rich coorrrinthian leather, drove to non-ethenol station and drove home......sweet. Ready for Dayton trip.

Paul Cerny #2691
    Kalispell, MT

My VIN:    3937

3937 starts season with a splash!

Got 3937 out on the road for the first time since October when Old Man Winter arrived. All in all it went pretty well. The car started right up and idled fine. I got about 10 miles on it I think, but my speedometer didn't want to join in on the fun so I can't really say for sure.

This was also a shakedown drive for a couple projects I had finished. I rebuilt my front calipers over the winter with new seals, pistons, pads and hardware but had not yet tested it out. Thankfully no neighbor's mailboxes were harmed during the test and the brakes felt great. Nice and grabby compared to the not-so-grabby way they were before.

I also finished replacing the orange fuel hoses I had in my car with replacements from DMCMW. Mine weren't in terrible condition as I didn't see any of the Teflon inside disintegrating, but a good proactive thing to remove. There was also a small inline plastic filter on the return side right at the hardline connection which came out. Not sure it was affecting a great deal but needed to come out regardless. No idea why a PO would have put that in there. The new hoses went on pretty well and no leaks were seen.

Towards the end of my 10 mile drive, I stopped in the gas station right near my house to get some fresh gas. I figured from where my gauge was I would need about 25 litres. Everything seemed great until the pump clicked off at about 27 litres and then comes the mass exodus of fuel from under my car all over everywhere. Crap. Thankfully not full out panic for whatever reason and the attendant helped with some of the absorbent dirt stuff for where the fuel spilled.

The pouring stopped and the wet areas were covered in absorbent and we put the car in neutral and pushed it ahead to an open parking spot not covered in fuel/dirt. I got looking in the fuel pump area and see no hose leak evidence, but the top of the pump area under the boot is full of fuel. I soaked it up with paper towels and kept the hood open for a while letting the breeze help evaporate anything else remaining.

What seems to have happened was the fuel pump assembly was not quite down all the way into it's hole and making a good seal. It's surprising how you can think it is pushed down all the way yet it still went down another half inch or so. I figure the gas pump didn't click itself off and that last two litres came back up through the fuel pump boot area and up and over the tank and down around the frame and accumulator hole. Lesson learned on that project with thankfully no tragic ending.

I had seen/smelled a sign that I should have known better to pick up on. Just a few miles before the gas station there is a nice straight away and I gave it some gas and tested the kickdown feature on the auto trans. I also gave my brakes a good test and pressed them fairly firmly. After the stop sign I could smell a faint bit of gas and normally I have never smelled gas in the cabin while driving. What this likely was was sloshed fuel that came forward when I was braking hard and came up and out a bit at the fuel pump seal. So the warning was there and I didn't act on it. Much like other stuff you see or hear that isn't normal. Best advice sounds like you figure out what caused what you noticed before you find out the hard way.

Oh, and in terms of the stupid DeLorean comments thought... as you can guess, at least 10 different people come rolling by to stare at the car or take photos but it wasn't until about the 5th person that someone finally asked if I needed help. None of the others did. Well, other than the grubby old man inside when I was talking to the attendant that asked if I was in looking for a match. Nice one. Yea, don't help the guy, instead get a cool photo for Instagram instead.

You can guess who did help though. Thanks a lot to Dave S. who replied back right away to my somewhat panicked email asking for advice. Happy Easter to you and your family.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16440

Simple Entry Deterrence Device

With the show season here and like must I like to show the D with the doors open. And we all know how people just jump in. I made this cross beam out of 3/4" pvc pipe primed it gray and cut it to about 40". To affix it I just place one side over a door pin and slightly bow it a bit and slip over the other door pin.
    Entry_deterrence.jpg

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

That's a very good idea

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by skipwater View Post
    With the show season here and like must I like to show the D with the doors open. And we all know how people just jump in. I made this cross beam out of 3/4" pvc pipe primed it gray and cut it to about 40". To affix it I just place one side over a door pin and slightly bow it a bit and slip over the other door pin.
    Entry_deterrence.jpg
    Good-looking solution!

I click the seatbelts in place as if you were seated in the car. Most people don't sit ON the seatbelt when they see it is clicked in place.

Most.....
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Pulled my inner seals to remove about a 1/4 inch of headliner fabric on both left and right sides that was wicking up water and giving me a shower inside.
    AH, thank's for the reminder. Have to do the same on mine soon. Not that i got wet yet, but Toby (DMC NW) already said that these fibers are excellent water conductors.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    AH, thank's for the reminder. Have to do the same on mine soon. Not that i got wet yet, but Toby (DMC NW) already said that these fibers are excellent water conductors.
    They sure are! I haven't tested my fix yet to determine if I'm 100% dry, but it has to have helped.
    David Proehl

Page 350 of 920 FirstFirst ... 250 300 340 348 349 350 351 352 360 400 450 850 ... LastLast