FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 920 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

I finally fixed 1632's "won't start if it's hot outside" issue. It was the starter relay. Apparently, the heat in my cabin causes it to get unseated just enough for the car to go "click" when I turn the key. So I just remove it, then plug it back in.
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Renee_1632 View Post
    I finally fixed 1632's "won't start if it's hot outside" issue. It was the starter relay. Apparently, the heat in my cabin causes it to get unseated just enough for the car to go "click" when I turn the key. So I just remove it, then plug it back in.
    That is awesome news. I got around to putting my center console back in. I now have cold AC and a modern radio with a power antenna.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Installed my dead pedal.

So full of win.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

Yeah...take back what I said. It fixed the issue yesterday, but not today! Took me 40 mins to coax her into starting. She just hates hot weather. So, back to DMCCA. I still suspect that even if the starter's bad, there's some other connection from the relay to the starter (I hear a clicking so I know power is getting to the relay) that is housed in rubber or some other material that expands in heat.
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

Banned

Yeah...take back what I said. It fixed the issue yesterday, but not today! Took me 40 mins to coax her into starting. She just hates hot weather. So, back to DMCCA. I still suspect that even if the starter's bad, there's some other connection from the relay to the starter (I hear a clicking so I know power is getting to the relay) that is housed in rubber or some other material that expands in heat.
    Is your AC blower using an original 25 amp breaker? You could try replacing the breaker with a 30 amp unit. The starter shares this same breaker.

I was having start problems and after replacing my starter and relay, it was finally changing out the breaker that fixed the problem.

Also, is your AC blower on setting 3 or 4 when you have start problems? You could turn the AC off and see what happens. Like I said, they share the same breaker and if it trips your starter won't be able to get power.

Banned

Factory wiring does not use a breaker in the starting circuit (in typical DeLorean fashion, there is no protection for the circuit whatsoever):

Scotch lock a wire to the Red/White starter solenoid wire at the bulkhead connectors (white connector closest to the firewall) and use it to trigger the starter solenoid via the jump start post. If the starter motor spins, you've got a problem earlier in the circuit. If the starter motor does not spin, you've got a problem with the starter motor/solenoid themselves. Afterwards leave the wire connected (make sure the end of it is insulated) and tuck it underneath the coil cover for future use.

(Credit Farrar. I suspect this was a very cold engine start, and his carburetor's fuel bowl was empty -- took a few seconds for the pump to fill it).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 06-15-2011 at 01:43 AM.

My VIN:    06960

On a pure whim, I managed to discover a slight fuel leak in the connection between the return soft line and return hard line. Gotta fix that!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    03572

Your an early vin, do you have the starter relay modification?

That modification if done correctly will not trip the blower circuit breaker. It should have wired to "batt" side of the breaker, not the"load" side.

Lastly, I had a bad ground on one of my relays. I ended up making a new ground harness for that bank of relays which do not crimp two wires into one relay connector pin. I should do the same to the other bank of relays one day.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03254

Went for a drive.

Dan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Your an early vin, do you have the starter relay modification?

That modification if done correctly will not trip the blower circuit breaker. It should have wired to "batt" side of the breaker, not the"load" side.

Lastly, I had a bad ground on one of my relays. I ended up making a new ground harness for that bank of relays which do not crimp two wires into one relay connector pin. I should do the same to the other bank of relays one day.
    Mine was screwed up and wired to the wrong side I guess. Someday I am going to correct it but for now it is working and I'm too lazy to "fix" it.

Page 4 of 920 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast