FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 441 of 920 FirstFirst ... 341 391 431 439 440 441 442 443 451 491 541 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Door rub strips refurbed

One of my door rub strips had slowly come loose in the middle. The other one wasn't like new, either.

Both strips are now back on tight and straight. 3M Super Strength Molding Tape is my friend today.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Generally a cracked flex plate noise will change dramatically or even go away when the car is in gear vs. in neutral.

Start tapping things with a rubber mallet.

I've heard similar noises from a car with a catalytic converter that melted the honecomb and dumped a bunch of chunks into the muffler. The only really good way to find that is take off the muffler and shake it (you can also then look into the converter with a light and a mirror, but it's hard to see if the converter is still on the car due to the elbow). If that's the problem it's VERY difficult to get the parts back out of the muffler due to the way it is chambered inside.
    So, I conducted the hose test and still could not locate the originating point of the sound..... I decided to start eliminating components. I removed the compressor belt and it still had the sound. Then I took the alternator belt off, and sound is gone! So....I guess I either have an issue with the alternator or the water pump. I can spin both the water pump pully and the alternator individually and they seem fine with no sound. Though it does look like the finned pully on the alternator doesn't spin quite true. It seems a bit warped. I wonder if that could be the issue.

I put the alternator belt back on and tightened it up and boy does it squeal now! Is it possible to tighten it up too much???? How tight should the tension be on these? I thought it was a little loose before I took it off, but tightening it seems to really make either the alternator or water pump very unhappy..... I wonder if the PO loosened the belt just enough to get rid of most of sound in order to sell it??

I'm not really sure of my next step here.....
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    If you want to find if the noise is in the water pump vs. alternator, you can use a lot of different things as a "listening rod."

I've used a long 3/8" extension, piece of rebar...etc. Rest one end on either component and hold the other end "cupped" to your ear....you should easily hear what you're looking for.

My explanation might not be so good, here's a video link (the first minute is pretty goofy, worthwhile to skip over it.)

The good news is that you're well on your way to it not being a huge deal!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I put the alternator belt back on and tightened it up and boy does it squeal now! Is it possible to tighten it up too much???? How tight should the tension be on these? I thought it was a little loose before I took it off, but tightening it seems to really make either the alternator or water pump very unhappy..... I wonder if the PO loosened the belt just enough to get rid of most of sound in order to sell it??
    It's a little late for the advice but you might have wanted to push against the free span of the belt to get a feel for the tightness before you made your adjustments.

True belt squeal is due to low tension - belt is slipping over at least one of the pulleys.

Water pump or alternator noise are possible but usually sound more like a bad bearing, sort of a grinding noise, lower pitch.

As for setting the tension try pushing on the top span of the belt midway with your thumb. Push hard. Shoot for ~1/2in. deflection as measured from a straightedge across the top of the pulleys. Anybody can chime in with a better deflection value or method.

PS, while you are there think about replacing the belt unless you know it's younger than that.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My fuel pump is keeping me on my toes. the loud constant humming has gone away even when the car has been running for a while.
    When I went to start it yesterday and put the key into the accessory position the fuel pump came on as it normally does but stayed on for a good 20 seconds. And I'm the cold start issue is still present.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Started the car on Saturday again after 2.5 weeks having it sit. Man, what a rough start again. I still have to troubleshoot my cold start issue. Got a few good ideas from reading through the forum and will check my Thermo Switch as soon as possible. I have the feeling that it might be on its way out and work intermittent.
    Took the car for a spin around the block to get the fluids moving at least a bit. COntemplating to take the car to a car wash as the weather sucks and I cannot wash it in front of my garage (or in the garage), but still want to have it in nice shape for winter.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    4534

I took her to dinner and on the way home I lost my headlights. Looks like my headlight switch finally gave out. It's a part that I kept thinking I should replace but never did. Oh well, it made it 32 years this month at least.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Today I took the spare tire to a tire shop as it was at least 15 years old. So I had it checked. The man working at the shop told me it was perfectly ok for a spare. So I actually didn't spend any more or changed a thing to my car... .

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    Today I took the spare tire to a tire shop as it was at least 15 years old. So I had it checked. The man working at the shop told me it was perfectly ok for a spare. So I actually didn't spend any more or changed a thing to my car... .
    Did you mark the date so you go for your next checkup in 15 years?
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    4519

So, I conducted the hose test and still could not locate the originating point of the sound..... I decided to start eliminating components. I removed the compressor belt and it still had the sound. Then I took the alternator belt off, and sound is gone! So....I guess I either have an issue with the alternator or the water pump. I can spin both the water pump pully and the alternator individually and they seem fine with no sound. Though it does look like the finned pully on the alternator doesn't spin quite true. It seems a bit warped. I wonder if that could be the issue.

What's the update on the noise?

Page 441 of 920 FirstFirst ... 341 391 431 439 440 441 442 443 451 491 541 ... LastLast