FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 521 of 920 FirstFirst ... 21 421 471 511 519 520 521 522 523 531 571 621 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,210 of 9199

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    05457

Broke it :(

Busted my passenger side torsion bar. Happened while sitting in the garage unattended. I wasn't nearby apparently when it blew since I didn't hear the shotgun like blast. This is my SECOND busted torsion bar! My driver's side broke about a year after I bought the car.

I'm attributing it to a previous owner over cranking them. Both were way too tight. After the first blew I reduced the tension on the other, but I'm guessing the damage to the bar was already done at that point.

Attached Images
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Bummer! Unfortunately the torsion bars are under about 180 degrees of twist when the door is closed which is 99% of the time for the last 34 and counting years.

Speaking of torsion bars, I have not heard how the remanufactured driver side bars are holding up. I know DMCH has had one in a car for a few years know.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-26-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Bummer! Unfortunately the torsion bars are under about 180 degrees of twist when the door is closed which is 99% of the time for the last 34 and counting years.

Speaking of torsion bars, I have not heard how the remanufactured driver side bars are holding up. I know DMCH has had one in a car for a few years know.
    Not sure about the drivers side bars. They were brand new (as in about a month on the market) when I replaced my drivers side. Since they didn't have a track record, I went with a bar from a parts car. I've heard rumor and hearsay that small lines have developed on some of them, possibly a protective coating cracking, but according to rumor the bars themselves have held up well. Again, I can't speak to the new bars first hand.
    David Proehl

Yeah probably the silver paint showing stress cracks. I would expect that.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bars

Question?....if the bars are stainless steel, would polishing them to a high
    shine eliminate the stress risers from forming?

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Question?....if the bars are stainless steel, would polishing them to a high
    shine eliminate the stress risers from forming?
    Good question for a metallurgist. But polishing removes a micro layer of surface material.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Polishing the surface is very good, especially for shafts or other parts in fatigue. Cracks always start at the surface and need a stress hot spot to propagate from. Polishing helps prevent hot spots.

However, I was under the impression that the *new* driver side torsion bars are not stainless steel like the originals. I believe I remember hearing that they were a steel alloy that was powder coated. I also remember hearing about and seeing pictures of the powder coating cracking on one of the new ones, and small corrosion indications appearing. This was on one of the DMCH cars that was sporting one of the new bars; either the stage III or the EV car, I cant remember. Thats not to say that the new ones are not nice, probably just need to keep an eye on them.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Door bulbs and airfilter earlier this month, easy stuff.

Still learning about my D.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I threw a bunch of crap in the engine compartment without actually fastening anything, put it back on the ground, and covered it. Giving up on it for now.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

well this thing rolled into my rearend at the jersey shore yesterday. no visible damage thankfully.

Page 521 of 920 FirstFirst ... 21 421 471 511 519 520 521 522 523 531 571 621 ... LastLast