FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 535 of 920 FirstFirst ... 35 435 485 525 533 534 535 536 537 545 585 635 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    4665

Burnished all relay sockets and replaced all 2012-circa metal cased NOS relays with nice new Tyco replacements.

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Today I started prepping my front fascia for re-painting:

I removed the rusty grill retainers...
    Attachment 37320

After removing the retainers, I wet sanded the area with 600 grit sandpaper and oxalic acid to remove the residual rust stains....

Attachment 37321

I converted the front marker/indicator light screw nuts from the early style wood screw type to the later M4 machine screw type by drilling the opening to accept an M4 aluminum rivnut....

Attachment 37322

M4 rivnuts trial fitted. I'll epoxy glue them in place after re-painting....

Attachment 37323

Brow bar material. 1/8" x 3/4" x 18 " long.....

Attachment 37324

Modified the end of the brow bar to fit in the narrow outer area....

Attachment 37325

Tomorrow I'll do the other one and glue them in place with 3M window weld.
    I put some paint on my eyebrow bars (just to be on the safe side) I also used antiseize compound when putting new (ss) machine screws in rivnuts.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    I put some paint on my eyebrow bars (just to be on the safe side) I also used antiseize compound when putting new (ss) machine screws in rivnuts.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll do the same.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Today I took care of more tasks while I'm waiting for my fascias...

The paint was peeling off the bottom edge of my A/C condenser so I scraped, sanded, and painted the affected areas.
    image.jpg

Finished...
    image.jpg

I refurbished the upper rock screen brackets by re-painting them. I used all-aluminum 5/32" x 1/4" rivets to re-attach them and replaced the M6 stainless steel cage nuts.
    image.jpg

I installed the impact absorber and a new center support..
    image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Today I took care of more tasks while I'm waiting for my fascias...

The paint was peeling off the bottom edge of my A/C condenser so I scraped, sanded, and painted the affected areas.
    image.jpg

Finished...
    image.jpg

I refurbished the upper rock screen brackets by re-painting them. I used all-aluminum 5/32" x 1/4" rivets to re-attach them and replaced the M6 stainless steel cage nuts.
    image.jpg

I installed the impact absorber and a new center support..
    image.jpg
    Looking really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Looking really nice!
    Thanks Mark!
    Dana

My VIN:    1019

The Delorean is in storage for the winter. I drove 5,407 this season. That is the most I have put on the car since ownership.

My headlight assembly plating order will be done Monday, so today I prepped the surrounding area....

I repainted the lower half of my hood hinges (I did the upper half already), cleaned the friction pad with paint thinner, and cleaned the SS bolts with oxalic acid....
    image.jpg

I cleaned the 14 M6 SS bolts that hold the front end support panel with the acid. The bolt and the lock washer were SS but the flat washers were zinc, which deposited rust stains on the panel. I cleaned the panel and replaced them with stainless steel versions, and used anti-seize when I reinstalled the bolts.....

image.jpg

I also cleaned the SS headlight bezels by wet sanding them with 600 grit and the acid. I checked the little screws with a magnet. 2 of them weren't SS, so I fixed that......

image.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put the hinges back on and clean the headlight connectors.
    Dana

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Dana,

How do you get a wire harness to look that clean? Did you re-wrap it? I don't see a spec of dust or dirt anywhere on your car.

Where do you get oxalic acid? This is the first I've heard of that.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Dana,

How do you get a wire harness to look that clean? Did you re-wrap it? I don't see a spec of dust or dirt anywhere on your car.

Where do you get oxalic acid? This is the first I've heard of that.
    Hi Dennis,

First thank you.

For the wiring harness, no, I didn't have to re-wrap it. To clean, I do 3 steps. First, normal water and Pine-Sol. Scrub a few times in a twisting motion with an old terry washcloth. Then a little paint thinner on blue shop towels... Not too much or too long. Then plain water with the same washcloth.

I bought the oxalic acid at Ace Hardware here in Florida under the brand name Snowcap ($8 ). It's amazing. I mix it up stronger than normal, and soak the SS parts in it for 15 min. Then rinse in water.

image.jpg
    Last edited by DMC-81; 10-31-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    Dana

Page 535 of 920 FirstFirst ... 35 435 485 525 533 534 535 536 537 545 585 635 ... LastLast