FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 550 of 921 FirstFirst ... 50 450 500 540 548 549 550 551 552 560 600 650 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,500 of 9201

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

1981 VIN 2692

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    This could be several things. The 3rd and 4th speeds each have their own relay, but there is also a resistor in the bottom of the heater box that factors into things. The resistor can get very corroded/broken from A/C condensation over time. Or there could just be a disconnected wire there!

Attachment 39040
    Is that resistor easy to get to? I may check there first and then check the relays. My car still has all the original relays so I'm planning on replacing them anyway but I should have a look at that resistor too

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC 2692 View Post
    Hmm I wonder if that could be my issue with no fan speed 3. 1, 2, and 4 work just fine but when you switch it to 3 the fan doesn't run at all
    t
    Perhaps. Speed #3 was the worst for me. The purple relays are all the same in my pic, so maybe you can locate the relay for #3 and switch it with another that you know works just for a test. (Be careful to only switch the purple ones.) My old (original) relays had pristine contacts, so it was the internals that wore out. Here's a guide to the relays:

https://support.delorean.com/kb/a53/...y-updates.aspx

That relay is #3 in the guide.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 01-10-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Is that resistor easy to get to? I may check there first and then check the relays. My car still has all the original relays so I'm planning on replacing them anyway but I should have a look at that resistor too
    Super easy. Two screws holding it in to the bottom of the fan box. Look under the passenger side dashboard and you'll see it - 4 wires sticking out of the bottom of the box. Resistor looks like this. Check it for corrosion, damaged contacts, broken wires, etc.

Also, since you haven't done your relays before (and based on your join date I'm guessing you're a new owner - congrats) make sure you are careful when removing/reinstalling relays that you don't push any of the contacts out of the bottom of the sockets. It's a real pain to try and diagnose the odd behavior that you get when just one pin of a relay isn't connected to anything because the contact fell out of the receptacle underneath.

101275.JPG
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

1981 VIN 2692

Super easy. Two screws holding it in to the bottom of the fan box. Look under the passenger side dashboard and you'll see it - 4 wires sticking out of the bottom of the box. Resistor looks like this. Check it for corrosion, damaged contacts, broken wires, etc.

Also, since you haven't done your relays before (and based on your join date I'm guessing you're a new owner - congrats) make sure you are careful when removing/reinstalling relays that you don't push any of the contacts out of the bottom of the sockets. It's a real pain to try and diagnose the odd behavior that you get when just one pin of a relay isn't connected to anything because the contact fell out of the receptacle underneath.

101275.JPG
    Yes I'm a new owner! Bought the car on December 9th. I'll check the resistor and I'll probably order a relay kit this week as well. This a a great forum with tons of knowledge it's a great place!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yes I'm a new owner! Bought the car on December 9th. I'll check the resistor and I'll probably order a relay kit this week as well. This a a great forum with tons of knowledge it's a great place!

Congrats and welcome!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Don't be scared... but if you're going to do your relays, you really want to carefully check your fuse block as well. I wrote a very detailed how-to here on the forum (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...ace-fuse-block) that shows you what to look for and what the process will be to replace it. If you're going to tackle the electrical compartment, consider doing this job as well. If you have the OEM block, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when it will need to be done. It makes a huge difference. Make sure to read through the comments in that thread as well, as a lot of folks weighed in with some helpful tips further to what I initially wrote.

Welcome and enjoy!
    Jon

1981 VIN 2692

Don't be scared... but if you're going to do your relays, you really want to carefully check your fuse block as well. I wrote a very detailed how-to here on the forum (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...ace-fuse-block) that shows you what to look for and what the process will be to replace it. If you're going to tackle the electrical compartment, consider doing this job as well. If you have the OEM block, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when it will need to be done. It makes a huge difference. Make sure to read through the comments in that thread as well, as a lot of folks weighed in with some helpful tips further to what I initially wrote.

Welcome and enjoy!
    Thank you!! I have pretty decent mechanical and electronic background so I think with the tips from here I'll be fine. I wonder if any of those relays is why my tach doesn't work. I posted about it before and someone seemed to thing the tach itself is bad since it's stuck at 7000 rpms. I haven't gotten around to replacing that yet. Biggest job I did so far is the steering column bushing and new shaft and u joints

Thank you!! I have pretty decent mechanical and electronic background so I think with the tips from here I'll be fine. I wonder if any of those relays is why my tach doesn't work. I posted about it before and someone seemed to thing the tach itself is bad since it's stuck at 7000 rpms. I haven't gotten around to replacing that yet. Biggest job I did so far is the steering column bushing and new shaft and u joints

Stuck tach as in it never moves at all? That could be internally a bad gauge. If you have an erratic gauge that skips around a lot under normal conditions, that is a symptom of bad grounds. And believe me, you've got plenty of those to deal with as well! All part of the fun. I really enjoyed doing my electrical system as it made a very satisfying amount of difference in the car's behavior for the amount of work that went into it.
    Jon

1981 VIN 2692

Stuck tach as in it never moves at all? That could be internally a bad gauge. If you have an erratic gauge that skips around a lot under normal conditions, that is a symptom of bad grounds. And believe me, you've got plenty of those to deal with as well! All part of the fun. I really enjoyed doing my electrical system as it made a very satisfying amount of difference in the car's behavior for the amount of work that went into it.
    Yeah it never moves at all. I'll probably replace it in the spring as well as install the long speedo cable from Hervey since I'll have the binnacle out. I ordered an angle drive from him last week as well

My VIN:    1768

Stirpped down the 2.8 to a bare block today. Got to get moving on this rebuild.

Page 550 of 921 FirstFirst ... 50 450 500 540 548 549 550 551 552 560 600 650 ... LastLast