FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 586 of 921 FirstFirst ... 86 486 536 576 584 585 586 587 588 596 636 686 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 9201

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Today I started the installation of my new speakers...!
    I did my fronts last year before I laid it up for the winter. The back speakers look really daunting. I suggest the extension nuts, or couplers, or whatever for the fronts like others have used. I didn't have them and it was a very difficult install . Looks great so far.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What have you done to your DeLorean today?

[QUOTE=DMC-81;198073]Attachment 43250

[\QUOTE]

Dana,

I see in your first photo you have screws holding down the door sills. I don't recall why the factory did that. Might have been an early VIN thing. But the screws are kind of unsightly IMO. The good news is you can replace the sills for a very reasonable cost or least they used to be. Unless of coarse you are keeping it as original as possible. Most of the later cars don't have the screws. It looks a lot better too. Of coarse the average joe would not know the difference.

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 05-30-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10322

I drove to a wedding at high noon. The A/C was inadequate and the quarter window is very limiting. However, if I blast the AC and open the windows I'm in a very comfortable solar oven. Halfway I figured "I'm going to fix this tomorrow" and after I arrived I figured "I'm fixing this before I get home."

So after the wedding I stopped at an auto parts store and bought a freon canister thing. The employee helped us, they weren't allowed to do anything, but they pointed to all the right spots and told us that we'd need an adapter since the car was so old.

The door and lourves open in a fairly exposed parking lot drew attention. At the peak I had seven guys all crowded around as I answered questions. It was a pleasant experience and it killed an hour where otherwise I would just sit and wait for the reception. I feel like I really made this guy and his little brother's day. He had to be 13-15 and he knows of Rich W's work and has watched every documentary about the car there is.

Someone did bring up something I didn't know how to answer though. Maybe someone here could help? With the position of the air intake, wouldn't rain get in and hurt the engine? We thought that the better spot would be underneath the car so that even if there was a rain splash back it wouldn't be able to get all the way up.

There was one guy in a black pickup who rolled down his window and yelled "FUCKIN' DELOREAN" and then drove off.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    I did my fronts last year before I laid it up for the winter. The back speakers look really daunting. I suggest the extension nuts, or couplers, or whatever for the fronts like others have used. I didn't have them and it was a very difficult install . Looks great so far.
    Thanks! Yeah, I read that the tweeter on the KS35 sticks out slightly, and you need to modify the bracket a bit. Do you have a link/ picture of the extension nuts?

My drivers side rear is planned for tomorrow.

It's not that bad once you get practice using the heat gun. Here are some tips I learned today:
    1) It works fast! You need wave the gun, and keep it 8-10 inches away from the plastic.
    2) Move it away from the area being heated after 3-5 seconds.
    3) Use the blade of the screwdriver as your guide on how much heat to apply.
    4) Too little heat is better than too much. You can always apply more to get the plastic to move/release.
    5) The plastic/ vinyl will continue to heat for a few seconds after removing the heat source.
    6) You need to do a few inches at a time to roll the plastic up and over the fiberglass edge. If you try to do one small area, you can rip the plastic
    6) Watch for plastic that becomes shiny or worse, forms bubbles. That is too hot.

I also referred to John Spanglers great instructions:
    http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC/rearspeakers.html
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

[QUOTE=DMC5180;198076]
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Attachment 43250

[\QUOTE]

Dana,

I see in your first photo you have screws holding down the door sills. I don't recall why the factory did that. Might have been an early VIN thing. But the screws are kind of unsightly IMO. The good news is you can replace the sills for a very reasonable cost or least they used to be. Unless of coarse you are keeping it as original as possible. Most of the later cars don't have the screws. It looks a lot better too. Of coarse the average joe would not know the difference.

Dennis
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I think the QAC centers put those on, and they don't even go down enough to make any difference. Maybe somebody knows the history of these?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5180

What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I drove to a wedding at high noon. The A/C was inadequate and the quarter window is very limiting. However, if I blast the AC and open the windows I'm in a very comfortable solar oven. Halfway I figured "I'm going to fix this tomorrow" and after I arrived I figured "I'm fixing this before I get home."

So after the wedding I stopped at an auto parts store and bought a freon canister thing. The employee helped us, they weren't allowed to do anything, but they pointed to all the right spots and told us that we'd need an adapter since the car was so old.

The door and lourves open in a fairly exposed parking lot drew attention. At the peak I had seven guys all crowded around as I answered questions. It was a pleasant experience and it killed an hour where otherwise I would just sit and wait for the reception. I feel like I really made this guy and his little brother's day. He had to be 13-15 and he knows of Rich W's work and has watched every documentary about the car there is.

Someone did bring up something I didn't know how to answer though. Maybe someone here could help? With the position of the air intake, wouldn't rain get in and hurt the engine? We thought that the better spot would be underneath the car so that even if there was a rain splash back it wouldn't be able to get all the way up.

There was one guy in a black pickup who rolled down his window and yelled "FUCKIN' DELOREAN" and then drove off.
    Not sure what you are asking. The air intake draws air from the ducting in the RH pontoon assuming you have all the duct work in place from the air filter housing. The is a special air intake inside the pontoon that allows any water to drain out the bottom before it gets sucked into the filter ducting.

Oh yeah, it's almost always the Redneck in the Pickup Truck who shows off his superior intellect.

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 05-30-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I think I know the answer. (I took that whole assembly out to clean it when I had the quarter panels/ rear fascia off.) There is a drain in the bottom, and the hole that goes through to the engine is in the middle. It has a diverter so water traveling down can't get in the hole. You can have a close look at part number 105831 if you want.

Oops . Dennis beat me to the answer. ^
    Dana

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

uploadfromtaptalk1464705280884.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464705290992.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464705300093.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464705319300.jpg
    Installed my new A-pillar molding, next that will install the custom upholstered rear speaker panels.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Installed my new A-pillar molding, next that will install the custom upholstered rear speaker panels.
    That two tone looks sharp! I really like that.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    That two tone looks sharp! I really like that.
    Thanks kukem and I appreciate that! You should see it at night when its all lit up!

178.jpg175.jpg172.jpg176.jpg
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Page 586 of 921 FirstFirst ... 86 486 536 576 584 585 586 587 588 596 636 686 ... LastLast