FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 61 of 920 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 561 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    6239 - November 81

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Installed new CAT, upper muffler bracket. Reinstalled muffler. Changed sparkplugs, distributor cap and plug wires. Re-installed coolant lines across the valley and the water pump. Refilled and re-pressure tested the system...Water pump was leaking at the bottom. Re-uninstalled the water pump and pipes over the valley. Valley re-filled with coolant. I re-cleaned the valley. Disassembled water pump. Gasket rotten, bottom back bolt rusted and seized. Removed back and thermostat. Looks like I'm replacing the water pump too. Also removed inlets on the block on either side of the pump to replace the gaskets there as well.

Only 15 lbs torque on the spark plugs??? Really? Is that right? I used a slight amount of anti-seize on each plug as recommended. Should I torque more?
    With DeLoreans, real knowledge comes only with experience.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rundmc View Post
    Installed new CAT, upper muffler bracket. Reinstalled muffler. Changed sparkplugs, distributor cap and plug wires. Re-installed coolant lines across the valley and the water pump. Refilled and re-pressure tested the system...Water pump was leaking at the bottom. Re-uninstalled the water pump and pipes over the valley. Valley re-filled with coolant. I re-cleaned the valley. Disassembled water pump. Gasket rotten, bottom back bolt rusted and seized. Removed back and thermostat. Looks like I'm replacing the water pump too. Also removed inlets on the block on either side of the pump to replace the gaskets there as well.

Only 15 lbs torque on the spark plugs??? Really? Is that right? I used a slight amount of anti-seize on each plug as recommended. Should I torque more?
    I put 15lbs on and when I went to check them for fouling recently I found that the insulator was cracked on almost every one. I blame my crap Harbor Freight spark plug socket, but yes - 15 is what the manual says (13-15 actually)

On topic, finished the dynamat in my passenger side, battery box, firewall and rear deck. Shampooed, disinfected and febrezed all 7 pieces of carpet. Reinstalled the rear deck, passenger side carpets and interior quarter/seatbelts. Got the quarter panel lined up correctly this time so it holds down my rattling relay frame. Looks great and smells a lot better too.

Melted the shit out of a wrench putting the battery back in. One complaint about Hervey's ground cable is that the fitting to the battery is hard to position correctly, which is why I was trying to wrench it on with it inside the box. Bad idea, it turns out.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

FYI the stink of the Carpet is the foam padding. Get replace that stuff and the interior won't smell anymore.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    FYI the stink of the Carpet is the foam padding. Get replace that stuff and the interior won't smell anymore.
    Mine's in such good shape I couldn't bring myself to strip it. I lysol-ed the ever loving hell out of it and hit it with the febreze. It smells excellent now. Remains to be seen if it still will in a few weeks, if not then I'll consider replacing it
    Jon

Finally started the last legs of my wiring project. Passenger side marker lights are now turn signals, tomorrow I do the driver side and add running light hookups for my headlights, then start reassembling the front fascia hardware.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Just washed the old girl and took her for a spin.a3.jpga2.jpga1.jpg

My VIN:    6239 - November 81

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Just bought another round of parts, including back bolts and washers for the water pump, a new water pump kit, gaskets, flanges, screws, bolts, etc. Spoke with DMCH about core returns today. Should have about $300 coming back to me after all is said and done.

Removed and cleaned the thermoswitch mounting bolt that goes on the side of the water pump. Apparently you can't get these anymore, so away with the wire brush...
    With DeLoreans, real knowledge comes only with experience.

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Just tore into the drivers door to install a new window motor. When I removed the mirror switch, the damn thing exploded sending springs and balls everywhere!!! I can't believe I found all the parts and managed to get it back together...the expoxy is drying now...

Checkout this repair done to the window regulator by the PO....unreal!!! How many tie wraps can you use in one repair!!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Just tore into the drivers door to install a new window motor. When I removed the mirror switch, the damn thing exploded sending springs and balls everywhere!!! I can't believe I found all the parts and managed to get it back together...the expoxy is drying now...

Checkout this repair done to the window regulator by the PO....unreal!!! How many tie wraps can you use in one repair!!
    Yikes, did that repair ever work?

Those damn mirror switches.... I bet half the people on here have had the exact same experience with those frigging claymores.
    Jon

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by rundmc View Post
    Just bought another round of parts, including back bolts and washers for the water pump, a new water pump kit, gaskets, flanges, screws, bolts, etc. Spoke with DMCH about core returns today. Should have about $300 coming back to me after all is said and done.

Removed and cleaned the thermoswitch mounting bolt that goes on the side of the water pump. Apparently you can't get these anymore, so away with the wire brush...
    Are you talking about this thing? If so, mine came with the waterpump from Special T Auto.
    Attached Images

Page 61 of 920 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 561 ... LastLast