FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 614 of 920 FirstFirst ... 114 514 564 604 612 613 614 615 616 624 664 714 ... LastLast
Results 6,131 to 6,140 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    1776

Drove the daylights out of it on this fine, sunny fall weekend in WNY!

I do not get tired of talking to folks who come up and ask about the car. One fellow on Saturday, in Batavia NY, upon finding out that I'm interested in history, directed me to the local historic cemetery. It turns out that the only Confederate officer buried north of the Mason-Dixon line is there in Batavia. Goodness knows how he got there.

And then this afternoon I met a deaf gentleman and his son who were both over the moon to see a Delorean in person. WNY has a large deaf population because the National Technical Institute for the Deaf is in Rochester (ASL is the third most prevalent language in Rochester, behind English and Spanish). My command of ASL is almost nonexistent, but a love of cars is a universal language.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    Drove the daylights out of it on this fine, sunny fall weekend in WNY!

I do not get tired of talking to folks who come up and ask about the car. One fellow on Saturday, in Batavia NY, upon finding out that I'm interested in history, directed me to the local historic cemetery. It turns out that the only Confederate officer buried north of the Mason-Dixon line is there in Batavia. Goodness knows how he got there.

And then this afternoon I met a deaf gentleman and his son who were both over the moon to see a Delorean in person. WNY has a large deaf population because the National Technical Institute for the Deaf is in Rochester (ASL is the third most prevalent language in Rochester, behind English and Spanish). My command of ASL is almost nonexistent, but a love of cars is a universal language.
    Awsome story Dustybarn! Both my grand parents met at the Rochester school for the hearing impaired back in the late 40's several of my family members on my moms side are deaf and have all attended there. Im pretty good at signing myself taught by my grand parents. Sorry, just had to share since you had brought that up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Today - Oil & Filter change.

(Side note:
    I noticed the new crush washer was larger in diameter than the old one. Large enough that I was afraid it would leak for not staying on-center of the plug when re-installing. I didn't remember them that way last time. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this? Whatever, the engine run-up & shakedown after the oil change shows no leaks. I guess the washer conforms better once the plug is tightened.)

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Doing a little minor body work..... Now in a boat building/fiberglass fabrication shop having the seam professionally done. Also, rear quarter panels, that most thought were ruined, cleaned up nicely with oven cleaner - no warping at all. Next step is reassembly and engine rebuild.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    Today - Oil & Filter change.

(Side note:
    I noticed the new crush washer was larger in diameter than the old one. Large enough that I was afraid it would leak for not staying on-center of the plug when re-installing. I didn't remember them that way last time. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this? Whatever, the engine run-up & shakedown after the oil change shows no leaks. I guess the washer conforms better once the plug is tightened.)

Thomas

I had that happen to me as well. I order about six oil drain plug crush washers. One of the washers was the correct size and the other 5 were a bit larger. They must be for a different plug on the engine. At that point I was tired of the old style oil drain plug, so I ordered one of those EZ-oil drain valves from DMC-NW.

image.jpg

The washer on the left is the correct one. I got 5 of the kind on the right.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 11-10-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Pushed it out of the garage where it's been sitting for several months due to a bad brake master cylinder. Replacing it this weekend, along with giving it a much-needed bath.

- Chris

what

Finally started it after it sat for 2 years after bringing it to MN from TX. Had removed the gas tank, flushed it and the gas lines, new accumulater, filter, fuel pump. Gas had gone bad in tank, eaten the pump boot and turned into tar in the tank. (All that work done in TX over 2 years ago). Started after priming, ran very rough at first, poured some injector cleaner into tank, started to smooth out. Pulled it out of the garage to move it to another stall, going down the drive ran fine, backed up and started up the slight incline-- no power and knocking when in drive(automatic) kept dying. Finally got it into its stall for the winter, gas leak from the accumulator under the car. Got under and tightened fittings as best I could-- very tight to start with, not to mention tight working space. Started it and it ran smoothly with no leak. Wondering-- but doubt it-- if the accumulator leak had anything to do with the rough running and dying? Anyone? Anyway taking the louvers and engine cover off for repair over the winter, everything else will have to wait for spring-- cold and snow about to start.
    Last edited by DeLorTex; 11-18-2016 at 01:20 PM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorTex View Post
    Finally started it after it sat for 2 years after bringing it to MN from TX. Had removed the gas tank, flushed it and the gas lines, new accumulater, filter, fuel pump. Gas had gone bad in tank, eaten the pump boot and turned into tar in the tank. (All that work done in TX over 2 years ago). Started after priming, ran very rough at first, poured some injector cleaner into tank, started to smooth out. Pulled it out of the garage to move it to another stall, going down the drive ran fine, backed up and started up the slight incline-- no power and knocking when in drive(automatic) kept dying. Finally got it into its stall for the winter, gas leak from the accumulator under the car. Got under and tightened fittings as best I could-- very tight to start with, not to mention tight working space. Started it and it ran smoothly with no leak. Wondering-- but doubt it-- if the accumulator leak had anything to do with the rough running and dying? Anyone? Anyway taking the louvers and engine cover off for repair over the winter, everything else will have to wait for spring-- cold and snow about to start.
    I don't think a small leak would have caused the bad running. You probably just need to put some time on the engine to clean out the FD and injectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    ... to clean out the FD and injectors.
    An easy way to clean the injectors is to run multiple bottles of Techron injector cleaner (the stronger version) through at once and on a partially full tank is even better. Injector cleaning at service stations can be done by running straight injector cleaner through the injectors. Mixing cleaner with a partial tank of gas is not as strong but may do the trick. If not, not much in money or effort lost.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Club(s):   (PNDC)

innovative steering wheel adapter - not!

After taking my engine to the rebuilder yesterday I decided it was time to remove the ugly steering wheel apparently installed during the car's residence in Houston. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing how someone chose to adapt this wheel. In addition to a badly butchered adapter flange, 2 mismatched bell covers mounted back-to-back, and a 2" thick homemade rubber spacer, the wheel was attached to a crudely modified metal cover plate off a home wiring junction box! And if that wasn't enough, the adapter flange was further "modified" with a machine screw epoxied and taped in place which engaged the turn signal cancellation ring. While the nut on the end of the steering shaft had less than 2 threads engaged, all was well due to the glob of epoxy added inside it.

I guess they couldn't find anyone in Houston familiar enough with DeLoreans to do this correctly.
    Attached Images

Page 614 of 920 FirstFirst ... 114 514 564 604 612 613 614 615 616 624 664 714 ... LastLast