FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 623 of 920 FirstFirst ... 123 523 573 613 621 622 623 624 625 633 673 723 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,230 of 9197

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

The thing about Optima batteries is that they do not like a deep discharge and if they do go low, regular battery chargers may not bring them back. Some (maybe all) D's seem to have a lot of draw when off. I've had a couple Optima's go so low they were deemed a warranty replacement by the local store. And that was in a couple weeks of sitting. Since then I keep a battery tender on the car when sitting.

You do not need to get the expensive Optima battery charger. If your charger will not charge the battery, jump the Optima with a regular battery while charging. Or use a dumber battery charger. The smart ones seem to be the problem. If that fails, take it back. They have a very good warranty. At least that is what I have read. If there are corrections, let us know.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I've had the same battery the PO bought sometime before 2011. I haven't bothered to check how old it is, but need to. Even with the battery disconnected when not in use, it has trouble turning over the engine. It seems to be losing its ability to hold a charge for an extended period of time. This was a good reminder for me to have the battery tested, and if necessary, replaced. It's at least 6 years old.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    My Red Top Optima is going on its 6th year now; I had my local auto part store test it the other day and they concluded that it is still in good condition. Money well spent back in 2011.
    I have a yellow top in my 2000 Supercharged Z/24 Cavalier thats been in there since 2005. Bought it in Augest of 2005 and was built in May of 2005. Getting one for the DeLorean soon from Amazon for $168. Funny how much they went up since 05. I paid $105 then.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    05457

I bought my car in August of 2008, and have never replaced my battery. It is currently out of the car for the winter and sitting on a battery tender, but as you can see from the date code at the top it was purchased in July of 2008. What is this high endurance battery you ask? A Walmart brand EverStart.

20170114_071846.jpg20170114_071922.jpg

I have had this battery sitting on a tender whenever not in use, so it has never been drained completely. I also watch the water levels closely. Have yet to have any trouble with it struggling to turn the car over.

I'm assuming this is more the result of good battery care rather than high quality battery chemistry given the brand, but who knows, maybe Walmart makes better batteries than we give them credit for.
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 01-14-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I bought my car in August of 2008, and have never replaced my battery. It is currently out of the car for the winter and sitting on a battery tender, but as you can see from the date code at the top it was purchased in July of 2008. What is this high endurance battery you ask? A Walmart brand EverStart.

I have had this battery sitting on a tender whenever not in use, so it has never been drained completely. I also watch the water levels closely. Have yet to have any trouble with it struggling to turn the car over.

I'm assuming this is more the result of good battery care rather than high quality battery chemistry given the brand, but who knows, maybe Walmart makes better batteries than we give them credit for.
    I also have the Walmart EverStart in my D. It's not as old as yours. I just checked the "water" level and did not need to add any.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Got my DPI SS lower control arms, poly sway bar bushings and SS mounting taps for the lower part of the QA1 adjustable coil overs. Now just wanting on the brake upgrade package and i can start installing a whole new suspension/brake package.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post

Good battery care and probably a good battery. Not to often you here a Walmart battery lasting that long unless they change manufacturing processes. Good for you though! Really!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Good battery care and probably a good battery. Not to often you here a Walmart battery lasting that long unless they change manufacturing processes. Good for you though! Really!

Agreed. The original battery in my daily driver ( Magnum R/T ) failed after 3 years use in Aug 2010. The heat down here is hard on batteries. I bought a Maxx battery from Walmart for exactly half what the Auto stores price was with the same 5 year warranty. It was a no brainier for me. 6 1/2 years later, it's still going strong. I'd be interested to know who made batteries under that house brand for Walmart at that time. Maybe I struck it lucky.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    05457

According to this site, today at least, they are made by Johnson Controls. The same company makes Optima batteries as well. Johnson Controls does not list EverStart on their website, but that might be because of an agreement with Walmart.

Edit: Just saw the following directly on the Walmart website:

Great Quality Batteries at a Great Price

Walmart's quality automotive batteries are supplied by Johnson Controls, the world's largest lead-acid battery manufacturer.
    The batteries are tested in "real-life situations," Johnson Controls performs extensive tests. EverStart automotive batteries are developed to be long-lasting, high-quality and to meet the daily demands of your driving.
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 01-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10201

Removed my vapor barrier and cleaned up all of the gorilla snot and dried out duct tape that had been used as a band aid fix. I ran out of acetone so I went to the car wash and nearly overheated as I waited in line, then vacuumed the car of my leftover walnut shells. I picked up acetone as well as some type s leds for my footwells. They are plug and play with the controller I bought with my underglow leds. I got home and finished cleaning up the gorilla snot and installed the new vapor barrier.

Once it gets dark, Ill check my mock up locations for the leds and stick them in place.

Page 623 of 920 FirstFirst ... 123 523 573 613 621 622 623 624 625 633 673 723 ... LastLast