FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 624 of 920 FirstFirst ... 124 524 574 614 622 623 624 625 626 634 674 724 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 9197

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    10201

Im gunning after you christian! Still need more lights. If only bitsyncmaster had a red hvac panel

Ill be putting the door panel on tomorrow

My VIN:    03572

Red will not work with the stock decals but it may work with the new EU decal since their decal did not have colored "filters".
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Im gunning after you christian! Still need more lights. If only bitsyncmaster had a red hvac panel

Uh oh, did I do something wrong?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Btw, looks bitchin' in red! I did the the because my 2011 has alot of blue, that and it's my favorite color. Looking forward to more pictures!

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    10201

Thanks. I was inspired by the Florian Renner Delorean video and a Robocop poster I got.

The footwell LEDs are multicolor and I can control them with an app through my phone. The red ones are just domelight bulbs I found on sale a while ago. Eventually I'll have my mom redo the headliner and throw in some multicolor LEDs that work with the same contoller. The headliner is loose so I'm not worried about cutting into it to put some LEDs in.

I got the door trim back on today. I tucked the LEDs cables away and changed out my last incandescent bulb in the HVAC panel. I'm going to try to clean up my shift knob as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Good battery care and probably a good battery. Not to often you here a Walmart battery lasting that long unless they change manufacturing processes. Good for you though! Really!
    I have replaced several car batteries with Walmart EverStart batteries and have always gotten at least 5 years out of them, with proper care*. Not saying WM is anything special, but I consider 5 years not too bad given a relatively cheap battery. JMHE**

One time I tried an Interstate battery (not on my DeLorean). It failed after about a year (the store replaced it with 100% credit). That said, that replacement Interstate battery is now about 5 years old, and is still holding strong.

Thomas

* Proper care: (I consider proper never having drained by leaving lights on, or shorts, keeping terminals free of corrosion, fairly regular use, etc.)

** JMHE: (just my humble experience)
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Replaced Otterstat

My car has NEVER had a cooling problem in all my about 12 years of ownership. Even in the middle of summer, with the A/C on (when it worked), and stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Houston at noon time. It always had a reliable cooling system. But then running my car in my garage a while back, the fans did not come on. So some quick research revealed it was probably a bad otterstat. I jumpered the two connectors as recommended and the fans came on, so it in fact was a bad otterstat.

Replacing the otterstat:

Probably one of the easiest jobs on a DeLorean, right? Well for me, yes and no. All went normal at first. Here are the steps I took:

1. Read-up on DMCTalk first thing. How to do it, best practices, what to expect, etc.
    2. Loosed hose clamps on metal section where the otterstat goes, so to “flip” it 180 degrees, so otterstat is up, and coolant loss will be minimal.
    3. Remove metal wire clamp and cut the plastic safety tie.
    4. Eased out old otterstat.
    5. Eased in new otterstat.
    6. Rotated tube 180 degrees, so otterstat is back down on the bottom.
    7. Retightened both clamps.
    8. Start engine to test. Let it warm up to close to the 220 mark to ensure fans came on. Yep, success, but….

…. by loosening the clamps and rotating the metal section, the old seals were broken. Tightening the existing clamps should have resealed again I thought. But on one side, it did not. So I had a leak, and lost some coolant (probably < 5oz.). Luckily, I had on hand some extra clamps. So I let the engine cool down some (so I don’t get burnt touching the pipe), then adjusted the rubber hose on the metal pipe so to allow more space to put on a second metal clamp. Yep, lost some more coolant (maybe 8-10oz. more), but this second clamp worked. So now the car warms up normally with no leaks, and the fans now turn on at the right point.

So my 15 minute job on my DeLorean turned into a 30 minute job.

But that’s not the reason for my post: I was actually posting because I had a question about the metal clamp (see #1 in picture). My car had both a plastic wire-tie, and a metal clamp holding the old otterstat in. The question is, is this normal? With all the shows I’ve been to, and all the other DeLorean engines I’ve looked at, I’ve never noticed the wire metal clamp.

Does anyone else have one of these on their cars? Have I been missing this all along?

DeLorean_Otterstat.jpg

Items in picture:
    1. Spring-steel wire clamp on existing otterstat, size accommodates fitting over metal tube and otterstat
    2. Wire tie (cut and replaced with new)
    3. New otterstat (note new size and style, but still fit ok)
    4. Old otterstat

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Thanks. I was inspired by the Florian Renner Delorean video and a Robocop poster I got.

The footwell LEDs are multicolor and I can control them with an app through my phone. The red ones are just domelight bulbs I found on sale a while ago. Eventually I'll have my mom redo the headliner and throw in some multicolor LEDs that work with the same contoller. The headliner is loose so I'm not worried about cutting into it to put some LEDs in.

I got the door trim back on today. I tucked the LEDs cables away and changed out my last incandescent bulb in the HVAC panel. I'm going to try to clean up my shift knob as well.
    Well it's definitely going to look really awesome when you have it all done and I'm glad you like how I look all in blue. I still have some more lighting I would like to do in the form of using electroluminescence. I also have a few custom things that I would like to do as well which I'm in the process of working out the bugs with but I think I can pull it off and I'm not going to say what it is just yet, lol. I can see your inspiration in that RoboCop poster with the different colors in there and I think you did a really heck of a job pulling it off!

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    I have replaced several car batteries with Walmart EverStart batteries and have always gotten at least 5 years out of them, with proper care*. Not saying WM is anything special, but I consider 5 years not too bad given a relatively cheap battery. JMHE**

One time I tried an Interstate battery (not on my DeLorean). It failed after about a year (the store replaced it with 100% credit). That said, that replacement Interstate battery is now about 5 years old, and is still holding strong.

Thomas

* Proper care: (I consider proper never having drained by leaving lights on, or shorts, keeping terminals free of corrosion, fairly regular use, etc.)

** JMHE: (just my humble experience)
    I do believe proper battery care is very good for a long time usage and I have a Walmart battery currently in my DeLorean that has been in there for 3 years now and I would like to change it out with a yellow top Optima battery because the one that's in my Z24 has been in there now since 2005. I guess Walmart did go through different suppliers for Batteries because maybe they got tired of dealing with people bringing back car batteries after a year?

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    My car has NEVER had a cooling problem in all my about 12 years of ownership. Even in the middle of summer, with the A/C on (when it worked), and stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Houston at noon time. It always had a reliable cooling system. But then running my car in my garage a while back, the fans did not come on. So some quick research revealed it was probably a bad otterstat. I jumpered the two connectors as recommended and the fans came on, so it in fact was a bad otterstat.

Replacing the otterstat:

Probably one of the easiest jobs on a DeLorean, right? Well for me, yes and no. All went normal at first. Here are the steps I took:

1. Read-up on DMCTalk first thing. How to do it, best practices, what to expect, etc.
    2. Loosed hose clamps on metal section where the otterstat goes, so to “flip” it 180 degrees, so otterstat is up, and coolant loss will be minimal.
    3. Remove metal wire clamp and cut the plastic safety tie.
    4. Eased out old otterstat.
    5. Eased in new otterstat.
    6. Rotated tube 180 degrees, so otterstat is back down on the bottom.
    7. Retightened both clamps.
    8. Start engine to test. Let it warm up to close to the 220 mark to ensure fans came on. Yep, success, but….

…. by loosening the clamps and rotating the metal section, the old seals were broken. Tightening the existing clamps should have resealed again I thought. But on one side, it did not. So I had a leak, and lost some coolant (probably < 5oz.). Luckily, I had on hand some extra clamps. So I let the engine cool down some (so I don’t get burnt touching the pipe), then adjusted the rubber hose on the metal pipe so to allow more space to put on a second metal clamp. Yep, lost some more coolant (maybe 8-10oz. more), but this second clamp worked. So now the car warms up normally with no leaks, and the fans now turn on at the right point.

So my 15 minute job on my DeLorean turned into a 30 minute job.

But that’s not the reason for my post: I was actually posting because I had a question about the metal clamp (see #1 in picture). My car had both a plastic wire-tie, and a metal clamp holding the old otterstat in. The question is, is this normal? With all the shows I’ve been to, and all the other DeLorean engines I’ve looked at, I’ve never noticed the wire metal clamp.

Does anyone else have one of these on their cars? Have I been missing this all along?

DeLorean_Otterstat.jpg

Items in picture:
    1.Spring-steel wire clamp on existing otterstat, size accommodates fitting over metal tube and otterstat
    2.Wire tie (cut and replaced with new)
    3.New otterstat (note new size and style, but still fit ok)
    4.Old otterstat

Thomas

I figured number one at the bottom if you noticed how its curved that part goes on the coolant pipe while the other part wraps around and snaps onto the otterstat keeping it in place. The original Style clamp is not available but they do have a new one but I'm not really fond of it so I use the heavy duty zip ties and put that on mine and it's been on there now for over 2 years and doing just fine. But to answer your question yes those metal clamps are Factory and that's how the cars came with them so the otterstat doesn't blow out from the coolant flowing through.

Page 624 of 920 FirstFirst ... 124 524 574 614 622 623 624 625 626 634 674 724 ... LastLast