FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 647 of 920 FirstFirst ... 147 547 597 637 645 646 647 648 649 657 697 747 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,470 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    10201

Angry

Well... I guess the honeymoon phase is over. I'm now on my 5th alternator belt in 2 years of ownership. I replaced the DMC one on monday since I noticed it had started cracking. This belt had under 20k miles on it and it already needed to be changed. I had a spare DMC belt seeing as how I had 2 other belts fail already. This on made it maybe 70 miles before breaking and/or burning off. I noticed something was off when the tach started jumping. Then I noticed smoke out of the engine bay, the temp gauge at the first orange tick and the battery light had come on. I got lucky that a contractor from work saw me and pulled over. He took me home so I got my tools, swung around an autozone and picked up a valuecraft 15490 belt then we installed it.

I just don't get how I can drives thousands of miles on one then not make it a hundred with a brand new one. To make it worse I think my crankshaft seal is leaking again despite having it fixed in Feb. Am I supposed to constantly check tension and monitor the engine bay for smoke for the first 100 miles after changing a belt?

Well at least Im writing this from home instead of still waiting on a tow truck.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Am I supposed to constantly check tension and monitor the engine bay for smoke for the first 100 miles after changing a belt?
    It wouldn't be a bad idea - belts stretch slightly after they're been installed and used a bit. Also make sure it is tensioned the proper amount.

it moved under half an inch with decent pressure. i was planning on checking it at a 100 miles when i had to get gas. DMC support says after a few hundred.

My VIN:    10353

it moved under half an inch with decent pressure. i was planning on checking it at a 100 miles when i had to get gas. DMC support says after a few hundred.
    When I replaced my crankshaft seal and reinstalled the belts I read somewhere to tighten them so that you could only twist the belt like 90 degrees.
    I feel your pain on that seal though, the muffler being in the way was such a pain.

My VIN:    Early

Ran ignition run 12v+ to my GM chimer to further modernize my car. However my current chimer is faulty, so I just ordered one from a 1990's Pontiac Grand Prix/ Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

i tightened the new alternator belt, cant be too safe now

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

i tightened the new alternator belt, cant be too safe now
    What alternator are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6472

Back To The Craig

I spent the past few days replacing the aftermarket radio that was in there with the original Craig, replacing the AC panel bulbs with LEDs, upgrading the linkage bushings under the shifter, and rebuilding the mode switch.

The start-off point (aftermarket headunit)
    IMAG0467.jpg

Wires connected to the rheostat (for reference)
    IMAG0468.jpg

All the crap in the shifter area. What is all that? (was somebody eating sunflower seeds in the car?)
    IMAG0469.jpgIMAG0470.jpg

Wires connected to the cig lighter (for reference)
    IMAG0471.jpg

Center console removed, exposing all the electrical wires underneath
    IMAG0472.jpgIMAG0473.jpgIMAG0474.jpg

Most of the wiring mess that I removed from the aftermarket unit(s).
    IMAG0475.jpg

The center radio bracket removed, exposing all the wires
    IMAG0476.jpg

Electrical connections on the back of the AC mode switch (for reference)
    IMAG0477.jpg

Before installing the Craig, I soldered in an AUX cable inside the unit using Todd's helpful write-up here: https://1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig
    IMAG0466.jpg

The Craig installed and the center console put back together
    IMAG0481.jpg

The Craig has more than enough power to drive the 4 corner speakers, even good quality aftermarket speakers which is what I already have in there. With the Craig unit and good aftermarket speakers the highs and mids sound great. The only thing this setup lacks is the low end...

I was originally going to put a 8" sub in the storage compartment behind the driver seat, like others have done. But I thought it might be overkill for the type of music I listen to (metal/hard rock) and I also didn't want to lose the additional storage space if I could help it.

So I did some research online and went with the Kenwood KSC-SW11 which is a "powered subwoofer", basically an amp and sub in one small unit. They go for about $140 brand new but I got mine slightly used on eBay for just over 90 bucks. Comes with all the wiring (I have it running under the carpet). Sits on the parcel shelf, it only takes up the space where I was going to put an amp anyway, but now my storage compartment is completely free and available for use, since I don't have to put a speaker in there. It also comes with a wired remote that allows you to adjust the volume and frequency cutoff for the sub (you can see part of the remote in the bottom right corner of the first pic) I leave it sitting in the coin tray.
    IMAG0482.jpgIMAG0483.jpg

I've been using this setup for the past couple days and very happy with it. The Craig outputs pretty good sound quality and goes way louder than I'll ever need it to, without any distortion. The sub provides more bass than I could ever want. And the almighty Craig is back where it belongs, and completes the interior beautifully.
    IMAG0484.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    What alternator are you running?

No idea. I assume an 82 would have the motorola, but it doesnt look like it and there are no stickers or marks.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

A photo of the end where the wires connect and I could identify it for you.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 647 of 920 FirstFirst ... 147 547 597 637 645 646 647 648 649 657 697 747 ... LastLast