FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 766 of 920 FirstFirst ... 266 666 716 756 764 765 766 767 768 776 816 866 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,660 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    15275

Took first in my class at the World of Wheels last weekend..

always a fun show.. about 80 percent positive and 20 percent jackass...lol.. heard some weird new made up stuff I have not heard in 30 yrs of ownership..
    Attached Images

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Burped the cooling system and filled the a/c system. About ready to go for a drive and see how those new poly bushings on the front are working out.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Dropped in new spark plugs, Weird thing was the old ones had gaps like 3 times larger then spec. The new plugs really smoothed out the idle. Its really running like a top now. Well... I drove it a lot yesterday, and the fuel pump started making the noise they make when the fuel gets hot. I called it a night. Went back out this morning and all was fine. I know there has been a lot of discussion on how to keep the fuel tank cool, I still have an original style fuel pump. Is heat still and issue if I switch to the new style from DMCH?

My VIN:    3757

I have had the new pump for over 7 years, and have driven in really hot weather, and never had a Fuel Pump issue...

Craig

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Dropped in new spark plugs, Weird thing was the old ones had gaps like 3 times larger then spec. The new plugs really smoothed out the idle. Its really running like a top now. Well... I drove it a lot yesterday, and the fuel pump started making the noise they make when the fuel gets hot. I called it a night. Went back out this morning and all was fine. I know there has been a lot of discussion on how to keep the fuel tank cool, I still have an original style fuel pump. Is heat still and issue if I switch to the new style from DMCH?
    It's more to do with the pick-up hose getting hot and collapsing and starving the pump of fuel on the suction side than anything else. Like drinking a glass of water with lemon through a straw and you suck up a lemon seed. Straw tends to collapse and you don't get your drink.

There are a few ways to fix that pick-up hose issue. Yours might just be pushed over against the side of the tank (on the inside). Rotating the pump assembly (including the boot) slightly may help. Or insert the spring inside the hose to keep it firm. Kind of like a stint for clogged arteries. Or, yes, get the new pump/sender combo. Not because the pump itself fixes things, but because it doesn't use the original pick-up hose arrangement.

The fuel is always going to get hot in warm weather because of the coolant pipes running along side the fuel tank. Hot engine plus hotter ambient temperatures (i.e. not as cool of air going past the radiator) is the way it goes.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's more to do with the pick-up hose getting hot and collapsing and starving the pump of fuel on the suction side than anything else. Like drinking a glass of water with lemon through a straw and you suck up a lemon seed. Straw tends to collapse and you don't get your drink.

There are a few ways to fix that pick-up hose issue. Yours might just be pushed over against the side of the tank (on the inside). Rotating the pump assembly (including the boot) slightly may help. Or insert the spring inside the hose to keep it firm. Kind of like a stint for clogged arteries. Or, yes, get the new pump/sender combo. Not because the pump itself fixes things, but because it doesn't use the original pick-up hose arrangement.

The fuel is always going to get hot in warm weather because of the coolant pipes running along side the fuel tank. Hot engine plus hotter ambient temperatures (i.e. not as cool of air going past the radiator) is the way it goes.
    Thanks, I'd rather not replace it if its still ok, I drove it today not quite as long, and it was fine. Didn't have time to get as hot. Do you know what kind of metal the springs people use are? I had to put something in there that corrodes and sends a bunch of shit into my perfectly running Kjettronics!

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Cool. That's great that the spark plugs resolved the idle issue.

On the fuel pump, I can tell you that I've had the new all in one module from DMC since I bought my car in 2013. No issues. One tip I read on here and try to follow is aiming to keep the tank as full as possible. I believe that mitigates the fuel heating problem. So far, so good in our warm climate.

Perhaps try the full tank philosophy with the old pump and see if it makes a difference?

( As discussed, I also use non-ethanol fuel... personal preference. I can now get 89 octane at 2 different Wawa's nearby.)
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Cool. That's great that the spark plugs resolved the idle issue.
    Yeah, the ones in there had huge gaps, Not sure what the think was by who ever put those in there. I gapped the new ones to spec, but was concerned by how the old ones were. Turned out to be just what it needed. So far the acceleration is smooth with no hesitation, and the intermittent rough idle is gone, I tested on a few good drives now with out the prior issues popping up!

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Installed new shift bushings, and started rebuilding rear calipers.

My VIN:    02613

89°F today. Before a cool front comes in tomorrow I decided to go for a drive and test the a/c. After 20 minutes it was so cold in there I had to turn it down from "Max" to "Norm." (And my wife calls me a "polar bear" because I like the thermostat at 68 at home. LOL) I'd say I'm pretty happy with my new R-134a system. Fan makes a flappy noise, though. I think there's a leaf in there. Gonna pull the fan assembly and clean out the box this weekend.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 766 of 920 FirstFirst ... 266 666 716 756 764 765 766 767 768 776 816 866 ... LastLast